Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

HTB is the flavour of the month (well, season I guess), but what has happened to high contact and push in the back? The amount of tackles that are 'slipping' high is crazy at the moment. And push in the back?? The Luke Bruest double handed push on the Freo player was a great example - the side on vision showed the push and in the background, with the same line of sight as the camera, was an umpire.
'Dissent' isn't a thing anymore, for the most part. Until they pluck a random one out.
And maybe I've got the rule wrong?? - but I see a lot of players coming from behind the mark and replacing the player that should be there.
That'll be a big hello from Harley Reid, a serial dissenter.

I have this question about the umpiring of High Tackles for a long time. So when a player has been tackled by one player and is on the ground or dragged down it appears that you can come in high and not get pinged. Also if a player is wrapped up it seems that you can start to grapple and slip an arm above the shoulder if you are the second player. It happens about 4 or 5 times a game and it never gets called and confuses the hell out of me.

I always thought it was hard and fast that if you put a hand above the shoulder, no matter the force, it was always a high tackle.

As a tigers nuffie I see this as a pretty bad missed free kick for sliding/contact below the knees

I was curious what some neutral supporters views are

As a tigers nuffie I see this as a pretty bad missed free kick for sliding/contact below the knees

Clearly a tigers free. The only time those aren't a free is when the player who keeps their feet comes a clear second to the ball and 'trips over' the player who went to ground and got the ball first.

The commentators didn't even mention it in the clip.... did the mention it at all during the telecast?

If not, that's further proof the AFL request the commentators to 'go easy' on the umpiring...

100% that’s a free.

Feel like that’s another one we’ve just “forgotten” about.

Clearly a tigers free. The only time those aren't a free is when the player who keeps their feet comes a clear second to the ball and 'trips over' the player who went to ground and got the ball first.

Thanks fellas
That’s what I thought at the time but I’ll be the first to admit I can let my bias cloud my judgement from time to time but when I saw ports social media team post it this morning it triggered me a little bit 😂

The commentators didn't even mention it in the clip.... did the mention it at all during the telecast?

If not, that's further proof the AFL request the commentators to 'go easy' on the umpiring...
Na not at all

Not mad over it or anything but was just confused because I thought it was a clear free and essentially a textbook example of the type of incident the rule was established to rule out and found it odd that the port social media team went on and posted it as if it wasn’t a clearly missed free kick

Clear free kick but I will add as an umpire they are probably one of the harder ones to pay

Clear free kick but I will add as an umpire they are probably one of the harder ones to pay
Yeah probably a lot easier to see on the telecast compared to at ground level

Especially because it was off the back of a quick play inside 50 and all the umpires kinda got caught out of position quite far behind the play

I can understand it’s very hard to adjudicate the difference between someone going “low and hard” vs taking the legs out when they go in shoulder or head first.

However, surely ones like that where they slide in feet/legs first it’s pretty clear cut?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand it’s very hard to adjudicate the difference between someone going “low and hard” vs taking the legs out when they go in shoulder or head first.

However, surely ones like that where they slide in feet/legs first it’s pretty clear cut?
It happened so quickly and he ended up with the ball - from experience it’s the hardest one to get right - it was a clear free kick - probably needed on of the other umps to blow over him to get it right

It happened so quickly and he ended up with the ball - from experience it’s the hardest one to get right - it was a clear free kick - probably needed on of the other umps to blow over him to get it right

But umpires talk all the time about certain “cues”, surely seeing a player go legs first is an automatic sign that you’re sliding in to get the footy, which is illegal.

But umpires talk all the time about certain “cues”, surely seeing a player go legs first is an automatic sign that you’re sliding in to get the footy, which is illegal.
I’m not defending it - but read what I said - yes it’s an incorrect decision, but I’ve tried to give you sone context as to why - if you don’t like it that’s fine - but from experience it is the hardest free kick to play and the speed at which that happened I can I understand how it was missed

They've kind of stopped paying tunnelling over the last couple of years, pretty bad.
Noticed quite a few examples over the weekend specifically and thought similar

I couldn’t name any specific examples but it was definitely noticeable across most of the games I caught over the weekend

Yeah probably a lot easier to see on the telecast compared to at ground level

Especially because it was off the back of a quick play inside 50 and all the umpires kinda got caught out of position quite far behind the play
Not so sure that being out of position "cuts the mustard" because we've all seen umpires well out of position pay a free when the controlling umpire(s) is letting the game flow.

100% free for below the knees, Nicholls paid one against the Dogs for the same thing on Sat night

Giants player clearly legs a Gold Coast player in their 50. Should’ve had a shot at goal.

We get ball kick 2 in a minute.

18 point turn around.

And I’m a giants supporter.

These umpires are fried.
I saw the first tripping free Ive seen in years paid saturday night. There have been glaring trips regularly ignored. WTF is going on with this?

how could this possibly be misinterpreted. If Liz was concussed from this, he’d get weeks.

100% missed the tunnel there, ump should have gone to spec savers

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back