QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

When are AFLQQ going to address the link between the Lions, the Lions VFL, Morningside, Swann, and Bertoli Simmonds. Dudes on the Lions VFL list didn't even know the guy existed, yet he's a 2 pointer for the Siders as a VFL listed player. Ror

When are AFLQQ going to address the link between the Lions, the Lions VFL, Morningside, Swann, and Bertoli Simmonds. Dudes on the Lions VFL list didn't even know the guy existed, yet he's a 2 pointer for the Siders as a VFL listed player. Rort.
Very hard to train with Lions VFL if they only train main sessions during the day my friend whilst you working.

Lions actually approached him after injuries to Dodee and Coleman to secure there depth in that department and him previously being at Lions via Academy and knowing he had good VFL/NEAFL experience.Both parties agreed on training compromise and games.

As for selection that’s out of my department and probably yours.

Thx Toucan, I was only guessing the win loss.

The draw btw v Sandgate was round 8 2017. Remember it well, we were 3 goals up with 3 minutes to go, and didn’t get it done. One of our players had a shot after the siren from 35 mtrs straight in front, any score would’ve been enough but alas an mis kick that failed to make the distance.

We have a fair bit of historical stuff sorted at the club, I’ll take a look see what I can find
Excellent! Thanks, 2010premier - this is exactly the kind of scrutiny and feedback my records need.
I went back to the source - and found that in the conversion of data, the Sandgate score had dropped the zero from the behinds. So my records had Sandgate as "10-2", instead of "10-20". I remember this being a problem at the time for a number of games - but thought I had picked up all the errors. I'm appreciative that you've picked this one up - it's now fixed on my file.

So, after 499 Seniors games (ignoring those 5 No Result games), the record for Broadbeach is now showing as:
W = 258
D = 3
L = 238

Thanks again! Good luck today.

See Aspley put The Grange tomthe sword today ,, a 3 peat coming up
Stuyd, I think that you’re confusing Broady’s ability to challenge with where other teams have improved.

Whilst I agree Aspley is one very good unit and deserve to be favourites I think that this season is much more open than the last 2. I see several other sides are on the way up. Wilston Grange will walk away from that game on Sat with things to work on. Surfers have put your lads to the sword today and missed Aspley by only a point just a week or so ago. RVP have too much class to give up. Morningside now has a couple of scalps where they have to be considered a contender. I also rate the stocks at Labrador despite a sluggish start.

Stuyd, I think that you’re confusing Broady’s ability to challenge with where other teams have improved.

Whilst I agree Aspley is one very good unit and deserve to be favourites I think that this season is much more open than the last 2. I see several other sides are on the way up. Wilston Grange will walk away from that game on Sat with things to work on. Surfers have put your lads to the sword today and missed Aspley by only a point just a week or so ago. RVP have too much class to give up. Morningside now has a couple of scalps where they have to be considered a contender. I also rate the stocks at Labrador despite a sluggish start.
Yeah agree with this. Surfers were very good today outclassed and out worked us. Not having a great run injury wise atm but today I suspect surfers would’ve won regardless.

Having said that morningside are the second seed now but the gap between Aspley and the other likely finalists has narrowed considerably I reckon

Lagging Behind,, I fully see the improvement in the clubs you have mentioned ,, absolutely agree .
Understand that Broady have a much weaker list and I mean much weaker , So thats where Im coming from ,, not confused mate

TIPPING LADDER

26; ALL OR NOTHING , BIG E
25; DEZARIO,STILL ME,BUD 63, SMY, THUNDER DOC, PUGS, WESTERMAN
24; BUNYIP, NWO, CLUELESS, MAGPIE BOY
23; BOOPS, STUYD, TOUCAN SOUP, BIG TEX, FOOTY BOY, UP IT STUMPY
22; TIME TO RETIRE, DJONNO, SIMPLE SAUCE, 2010 PREMIER, UP TO BRIZZ, AJ18
21; LONGY ZILLMERE, SWITCHING THE PLAY, GOALKICKER, LAGGING BEHIND , MOBBS
18; NOOSA BOY

Welcome to Australia. Have you checked this player’s junior history links?
Points system is a farce. Games played for Qld Under 16s and 18s not included. Games on loan to Lions in QAFL and NEAFL not included. Games when told to rest in Qld Under 18 s not included. Then encouraged to join Redlands in NEAFL to further his football career. He should be 1 point !

Just as a thought process, how does QAFL look if there is no points or $$$ cap?

Is an 8 (or 10) team comp playing each other twice with unlimited cap and points a better option?

Are the poorer clubs already on the bottom?
Are current rules working to make a more even competition?
In a stronger comp, would more QLD kids/talent, benefit from scouts taking more interest in a strong QLD comp?

Last edited:

Is an 8 (or 10) team comp playing each other twice with unlimited cap and points a better option?

In a stronger comp, would more QLD kids/talent, benefit from scouts taking more interest in a strong QLD comp?

Yeah it’s a great idea if you want Aspley to win every year and regular mt Gravatt like spankings .

Oh and clubs sending themselves broke trying to keep up

Having played in the time of no cap and no points it was certainly the club who had the money that would attract the big names.
Southport comes to mind.
Most blokes got paid per game on a win loss basis.
However clubs had better sponsors money wise.
You had to pay at the gate to get in.
There were no AFL teams to compete against to attract crowds.
This all helped every club.
Not the case these days so I don't believe it would enhance the quality of the competition.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

the points system should work in the long run, one the concessions given to Aspley and Redland slowly work their way out of the system.

Other structural issues aside you can never fix are the disparity in funding for field maintenance, the availability of Southport players to GC clubs, the availability of some VFL players to Brisbane clubs, while others lose them to VFL and the lack of any VFL affiliations for Sunshine coast clubs.

Then you have the Lions academy side this year, which is as strong as its ever been, and 2 clubs are supplying 80% of the team.

You really cant fix this though.

the points system should work in the long run, one the concessions given to Aspley and Redland slowly work their way out of the system.

Other structural issues aside you can never fix are the disparity in funding for field maintenance, the availability of Southport players to GC clubs, the availability of some VFL players to Brisbane clubs, while others lose them to VFL and the lack of any VFL affiliations for Sunshine coast clubs.

Then you have the Lions academy side this year, which is as strong as its ever been, and 2 clubs are supplying 80% of the team.

No one has said anything worth replying to really. Cant see any reason the cap or for points and $$$ shouldnt be much higher? Anyone really think less teams (8 or 10 ) is a worse option?) Aspley are already winning every year anyway. Poorer clubs already on the bottom.

Andrew has brought up his field maintenance disparity to GC clubs. Also how Lions take his Sherwood kids for the academy and VFL.

Last edited:

Watched the Academy game vs Eastern ranges who are sitting in the top 6 live on Sunday - gee it was a good game of footy. One of the best I've seen for that age. Lions boys had a chance in the last 5sec but kick just went wide of the goal post from 50m out on the run. Hopefully it transpires into a few boys drafted this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one has said anything worth replying to really. Cant see any reason the cap or for points and $$$ shouldnt be much higher? Anyone really think less teams (8 or 10 ) is a worse option?) Aspley are already winning every year anyway. Poorer clubs already on the bottom.

Andrew has brought up his field maintenance disparity to GC clubs. Also how Lions take his Sherwood kids for the academy and VFL.

Points could increase by a little but I think 10 teams is the right number for a State league - confines the talent rather than spreading too thin. Means more players are filtered downwards as well to strengthen the tier below (generally).

$$ don't have to increase - in fact means very little right now bc no one is checking on a salary cap anyway.
Aspley have won last 2 years - that's not exactly a dynasty.

they are the 2nd back to back premiers in the last 10 years, and several other clubs had chances to go back to back and in some cases played in 3 GF's consecutively.

Points could increase by a little but I think 10 teams is the right number for a State league - confines the talent rather than spreading too thin. Means more players are filtered downwards as well to strengthen the tier below (generally).

$$ don't have to increase - in fact means very little right now bc no one is checking on a salary cap anyway.

Agree 10 is the perfect number of teams but we are at 12 already with coorparoo coming in next year, and who knows what happens with Southport if the rumoured AFL reserves goes ahead. Which 3/4 teams do you kick out?

As for points and salary cap whilst not perfect certainly incentivises developing your own and being more strategic with recruiting. Definitely assists equalisation.

The salary cap agree hard to police but assists clubs with player negotiations and in my mind without a doubt helps club not over extend and get into financial strife.

Smy ,
Aspley have only been back for 2 years and won both grand finals easily.. and may well be the same this year . So if they do its 3 out of 3 years .
Look out if Southport end up back in the comp ( if the AFL makes the changes they want to the Ressies comp )
Now that will be a huge issue for the QAFL !!!

Smy ,
Aspley have only been back for 2 years and won both grand finals easily.. and may well be the same this year . So if they do its 3 out of 3 years .
Look out if Southport end up back in the comp ( if the AFL makes the changes they want to the Ressies comp )
Now that will be a huge issue for the QAFL !!!
Yeah I don’t think the Aspley issue is anywhere near as big a problem as others like to make out. The issue is the points relaxations but as said by another poster that will end its time soon. I think Webby being in charge helped a lot although current bloke obviously very good too.

Last edited:
I’m hearing that WA is still stumbling block with trying to have a full AFL Ressies competition.

Apparently the SANFL have agreed to let Crows and Port go but there might be a deal that sees all stand alone VFL Clubs join up with SANFL and Tassie to make a new competition.

Not sure if Southport included or not or whether they want to be part of it.

AFL to fund new competition as a sweetener as only travel is Melbourne to SA or Tassie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back