QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys
1; can the Grange upset Aspley
2; can the Panthers beat Redlands
3; can Sherwood upset Labrador
Surfers v Broady has implications for both sides. Broady need the win to stay within reach of the top 6. Surfers need the win to stay IN the top 6.

Very interesting round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see MtGravatt named no interchange players for Ressies and only 2 interchange named for Colts.

Only round 4 so might get nasty if a few more spankings occur.

Not sure how you can fix it on the run either.

I see MtGravatt named no interchange players for Ressies and only 2 interchange named for Colts.

Only round 4 so might get nasty if a few more spankings occur.

Not sure how you can fix it on the run either.
Can confirm they have contacted Caloundra to see if we had any avaivlbe players to help them in the reserves.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 5

Aspley V Wilston Grange

Played 4: Aspley 4 wins – Wilston Grange 0 (QAFL 2022-2023)
Total 25: Aspley 9 – Draw 1 – Wilston Grange 15 (1998-2000, 2002-2008, 2022-2023)
The Hornets have certainly had the better of the Gorillas since they have both been in the QAFL competition. Only four games, all going Aspley’s way, with a lowest winning margin of 65 points.
Prior to their shared QAFL era, the two clubs competed in the BAFL and AFLSQ comps, with Grange showing their superiority in those years. Whilst there was a draw in 2002, Wilston Grange convincingly held the upper hand.

Maroochydore V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 9: Maroochydore 2 – Palm Beach 7 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2020-2023)
Total 18: Maroochydore 3 – Palm Beach 15 (2005-2013, 2020-2023)
A good question was raised last week. Why am I including results prior to 2020? The relatively short life of the NEAFL complicates the records. However, I chose to include both the NEAFL results AND the highest Queensland-managed competition (AFLQ, SEQAFL, QAFL). I’m working on the principle that there is no right or wrong with this approach.
When a club is promoted, it can take some time to adjust. Interestingly, the Roos’ two QAFL wins have come in the last three meetings between the clubs – and both at their Home ground.

Morningside V Redland Victoria Point
Played 37: Morningside 26 – Redland 11 (2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Prior to the start of the season, there may not have been as much anticipation of this game as there is now. There have only been three games decided by less than ten points. There have also been six games decided by triple-figure margins. The Sharks have won the last four encounters (including two by over 100 points). Is it time for the Panthers to halt that run at their Home ground?

Noosa V Mt Gravatt
Played 5: Noosa 3 – Mt Gravatt 2 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Total 8: Noosa 5 – Mt Gravatt 3 (1993, 2021-2023)
If anyone thinks differently, please correct me. For two clubs that have both been around for quite some time, they have done a good job at avoiding each other.
Over the past three seasons, they have met five times, for a minor advantage to the Tigers. The closest any of the games ended was 45 points. Noosa has won both their Home games against the Vultures.
They had only ever met in one season previously, 1993, after the Sunshine Coast competition folded to join the BAFL, and prior to Mt Gravatt’s promotion to the QAFL. They met three times in that season, including an Elimination Final won by Noosa.

Labrador V Sherwood
Played 29: Labrador 19 – Sherwood 10 (QAFL 2001-2004, 2009-2010, 2014-2023)
The two clubs have only ever met in the QAFL-level competitions with no history prior to 2001. In that time, there have been four games decided by single-digit margins – although, the last of these was in 2017.
Does anyone else reckon this is a tough round to tip?

Broadbeach V Surfers Paradise
Played 17: Broadbeach 12 – Surfers Paradise 5 (QAFL 2014-2023)
Total ???
These two clubs share history that precedes 1997 – but I do not have records of that earlier competition. Having consulted “More Of The Kangaroo”, I can see they have never met in a Gold Coast Grand Final – although, I reckon it is safe to assume that there would have been numerous clashes in other Finals.
In their QAFL era, the advantage is definitely favouring Broadbeach. There have been four games decided by less than 10 points, the last being in 2018. The Cats have won the last five encounters.
Who are our Broadbeach supporters on this page? They might be interested in this trivia:
This game will represent the 500th Senior game for Broadbeach in the QAFL-level competitions. Their record includes the following games:
  • QSFL 1997-1999 = 54 games
  • AFLQ 2000-2010 = 209 games
  • NEAFL 2011-2013 = 54 games
  • QAFL 2014-2024 = 183 games
Of course, that’s based on my records. Other people can argue whether NEAFL or other competition results should or should not be included. Either way, I think it is an achievement worth noting.
(Who are our Labrador supporters on this page? Under the same criteria, your Club’s 500th game will occur later this season.)

A shorter post this week – I’ve been crook & need to catch up with the work that keeps me paid.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back