Proposal to include premierships dating back to 1870 gathering pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Just another award for his excellency.

Screenshot_20240625_094514_Gallery.jpg

The RJ Hickey Award recognises those who have provided outstanding service to Australian Football, and there are few people that have had the impact on the game that Colin Carter has had across his remarkable career.

Last edited:

View attachment 2029623

The RJ Hickey Award recognises those who have provided outstanding service to Australian Football, and there are few people that have had the impact on the game that Colin Carter has had across his remarkable career.

Will Geelong give him a second RJ Hickey Award club award if he can somehow convince the league of this plan and they end up with another 7 trophies in their VFL/AFL tally from a completely different competition?

They might as well rename Kardinia Park to Carter Park if he can pull this off.

Really don't think much of these "official" premiership counts. To me the only premierships that matter are the previous years and the current years the rest are just fun memories for fans.

Obviously clubs like to celebrate their history but does a premiership won in the VFL in 1946 by Essendon really hold anymore significance to the current comp than a Port Adelaide 1951 SANFL premiership?

Really don't think much of these "official" premiership counts. To me the only premierships that matter are the previous years and the current years the rest are just fun memories for fans.

Obviously clubs like to celebrate their history but does a premiership won in the VFL in 1946 by Essendon really hold anymore significance to the current comp than a Port Adelaide 1951 SANFL premiership?

I mean it does to me, but if it doesn’t to you that’s cool.

Do we count the King Island Football League? I believe Currie has the most flags of any side in Australia with 42

Haha 3 team league as well.

When are the AFL going to stop neglecting King Island and give them their own team to make the comp truly national?

Why does the previous year matter if it too is just a memory? 2023 matters but 2022 doesn't? Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

And by that logic why does the current year matter if it immediately doesn't matter once it is finished?

Sounds like rather than making this about football, may as well just fire up some My Chemical Romance and silently dwell on the meaninglessness of existence.

Why does the previous year matter if it too is just a memory? 2023 matters but 2022 doesn't? Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

And by that logic why does the current year matter if it immediately doesn't matter once it is finished?

Sounds like rather than making this about football, may as well just fire up some My Chemical Romance and silently dwell on the meaninglessness of existence.

Haha yeah fair point

Collingwood run out every week this season as the current premiers and every team is desperate to be in their position in 2025 is what I’m trying to get at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is total BS if the Dogs can't add their 9 VFA titles, North their 6 (plus Essendon Associations 2 and West Melbourne's 1), Richmond their 2 and Hawthorn their... :$
Oh you're completely right. But this isn't even the biggest objection. Ol' Col wants to count flags for years where the Association awarded no premiership, but for which some drunken journo yobs decided, long after the fact, to award some.

So hes counting non flags as flags, and real flags as void.

The man's reasoning is less sound than Gills integrity.

View attachment 2029623

This validates everything. The Geelong FC give an award named after a Geelong FC legend to a Geelong FC administrator who is advocating for six more Geelong FC flags being recognised.

People are still getting cranky and wound up about this?
Because history matters, always has. But to not understand that the early VFA period was that far removed from the original VFL, that to recognise that would be absurd. The VFL to AFL was a change of names. The start of the VFL was a completely different competition.

Because history matters, always has. But to not understand that the early VFA period was that far removed from the original VFL, that to recognise that would be absurd. The VFL to AFL was a change of names. The start of the VFL was a completely different competition.

It was proposed over a year ago. Has there been a renewed push since then that I’ve missed?

It was proposed over a year ago. Has there been a renewed push since then that I’ve missed?
It’s still being pushed hard by Carter. He was on the AFL commission so he has a lot of influence and power. He just has a skewed opinion on history because like everyone on here looks at football through the prism of his own club.

Jesus. This again? It has nothing to do with looking through the prism of their own club. It's as objective as you can get.

The AFL has been a continuous league since 1897. It has evolved over that time, as all things have. But the only AFL premierships a club has ever won, was won by competing in and winning the AFL competition.

Clubs can and have won premierships in other competitions. But they are not AFL premierships. There is just no argument otherwise. And frankly, the AFL has no business 'recognising' awards given by different leagues.

The claims that an AFL premiership won in 1940 is worth less than one in 2024 are equally ridiculous. Its irrelevant that the competition was called something different before 1990. Its irrelevant if they were amateur and got drunk before matches. That was the era and they were the best in that era. Any timeline of any length will be made up of multiple eras.

So don't even try to go down a subjective path with this. Because in 50 years time we will be in another era and there will be similar arguments which will make any achievement today meaningless. "They weren't even genetically modified, they were just basic humans!". It ultimately makes any tally meaningless as it can change on a whim.

But and above all, why lie to yourselves?

People are still getting cranky and wound up about this?
Can you imagine the shit storm when it eventually happens? Carter just wants to restore football history, nothing more.
Football history, which the historical revisionists changed circa 1930s/1940s.

It is entirely coincidental that the Cats, Blues and Swans pick up a few extra flags. This has never been Carter's motivation. He is a true historian, visionary and statesman of the game.

Despite the bitterness of certain supporter groups (whose teams may slip a few places in the Premiership tally), history must be rightfully restored, and we will then be able to rightfully claim to be the oldest/longest running sporting league in the world.

Thank you Colin!

Screenshot_20240627_092028_Chrome.jpg
images (70).jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry I started rambling and didn't answer your q. There have been a number of additonal pushes, and it was spoken about most recently at a meeting amongst the Presidents last week. He has also released a book about it as you probably know.

Screenshot_20240627_131814_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back