Predictions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cole - arguably yes

Gerrard - used to be england's best player, more so than lampard and probably rooney... has fallen by quite a bit in recent times. i like him though, seems to have heart.

Terry - overrated, see the above post

Rio - just no.

Rooney is world class.

and 2006 was suppoed to be the golden age of english football... the team was massively rated going into the tournament

The same formula of overrated and used to be good can be applied to so many "world class" players.

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. England def Brazil
2. Top scorer. Rooney
3. Tournament's MVP.
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). South Africa, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Both Koreas
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Spain, Serbia
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney. Rooney

We are hard one to call in this world cup and in the past. I think 2006 we had the players to go beyond the quarters but we lost Owen plus Rooney wasn't fully fit (he played much better at Euro 2004) also Lampard played utter cack. On the plus side you had Hargreaves, J Cole and Gerrard who all had good world cups. You can't tell me that Italy and France had better players than what England potentially went with in 2006.

2002 we were overated cos of the 5-1 win in Germany. As already stated too many weak links in that side. All we had was a good defense plus Becks (who was not fully fit anyway), Owen and Scholes (Gerrard was injured).Quarters was about right

1998 Hoddle decided not to take either an in form Gazza or Le Tissier. Add them to the likes of Shearer, Owen, Beckham and Scholes and we could of done something.

The two things that have hurt England in recent world cups are shit managers (Taylor didnt even qualify, Hoddle and the swedish burke) plus choking on penalties. I am not saying there havent been better teams than England in all those world cups, but the fact is worse teams than England have got through to the semis and even the final in that time.

We are hard one to call in this world cup and in the past. I think 2006 we had the players to go beyond the quarters but we lost Owen plus Rooney wasn't fully fit (he played much better at Euro 2004) also Lampard played utter cack. On the plus side you had Hargreaves, J Cole and Gerrard who all had good world cups. You can't tell me that Italy and France had better players than what England potentially went with in 2006.

2002 we were overated cos of the 5-1 win in Germany. As already stated too many weak links in that side. All we had was a good defense plus Becks (who was not fully fit anyway), Owen and Scholes (Gerrard was injured).Quarters was about right

1998 Hoddle decided not to take either an in form Gazza or Le Tissier. Add them to the likes of Shearer, Owen, Beckham and Scholes and we could of done something.

The two things that have hurt England in recent world cups are shit managers (Taylor didnt even qualify, Hoddle and the swedish burke) plus choking on penalties. I am not saying there havent been better teams than England in all those world cups, but the fact is worse teams than England have got through to the semis and even the final in that time.

I agree with a lot of that.

I think the period under Robson from 1986-90 was the golden opportunity for the national team to win it.

If you compare recent national teams to that era, it isn't complimentary to recent world cup squads.

Shilton > James, Robinson, Green and Hart.
Stevens > Nevile x 2, Carragher and Johnson
Sansom and Pearce > Cole
Steven (1986 version) > Beckham
Wilkins > Hargreaves
Barnes and Waddle > Sinclair, Downing and whomever plays LW at this tournament.
Lineker > Owen, Fowler, Sherringham, Heskey
Robson > Lampard
Reid and Hoddle < Gerrard
Butcher < Ferdinand
Anderson < Terry

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. England Def Germany
2. Top scorer. Rooney
3. Tournament's MVP. Messi
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Australia
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Brasil

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Argentina def Spain 3-2
2. Top scorer. Milito (7)
3. Tournament's MVP. Iniesta
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Mexico
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Portugal, France, Italy
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney - Rooney

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Spain to beat England
2. Top scorer. Villa
3. Tournament's MVP. VIlla
4. Teams who will surprise Serbia
5. Teams who will disappoint Italy, possibly the Aussies.
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney. Rooney. Second in golden boot...

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Spain def. Holland
2. Top scorer. David Villa
3. Tournament's MVP. Xavi
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). South Africa, New Zealand, Serbia, Honduras, Slovenia
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). USA, France
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney. Messi

Shilton > James, Robinson, Green and Hart.
Stevens > Nevile x 2, Carragher and Johnson
Sansom and Pearce > Cole
Steven (1986 version) > Beckham
Wilkins > Hargreaves
Barnes and Waddle > Sinclair, Downing and whomever plays LW at this tournament.
Lineker > Owen, Fowler, Sherringham, Heskey
Robson > Lampard
Reid and Hoddle < Gerrard
Butcher < Ferdinand
Anderson < Terry

Kenny Sansom better than Cashley??!! No chance! Stevie G better than Ghod? Noooooo. England would of won the thing in 82 if ****in Greenwood had played Hoddle instead Graham bloody Rix! What a douche. If only the FA had of had the balls to appoint Brian Clough.

I would feel a lot better about our chances if Hargreaves was playing. He was our best player in 2006 and with Barry struggling to be fit it looks like it will be back to the dreaded Lampard/Gerrard thing. I agree with your sentiment, 2002 aside, this is the weakest England squad I can remember but we still have a shot at making the semis because of Capello and the way the draw could pan out for us.

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Argentina def Brazil 4-3
2. Top scorer. Rooney 5
3. Tournament's MVP. Kaka
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Ivory Coast
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Spain

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Netherlands def Spain
2. Top scorer. Van Persie
3. Tournament's MVP. Schneider
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Chile, Netherlands (Obviously).
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Serbia.
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney. Rooneh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. SPAIN to beat ENGLAND 2-0
2. Top scorer. SAMUEL ETO'O 6 goals
3. Tournament's MVP. ANDRES INIESTA
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). CAMEROON, CHILE, MEXICO
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). FRANCE, PORTUGAL, ITALY
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney. ROONEY

Cole, Gerrard, Terry, Rio on their day are easily top 5 in their respective positions.

I don't agree with all of them but even if they are all great players, there's not an ounce of creativity among them. It's all well and good for these players as well as the likes of Gerrard to look great at their club sides where they're surrounded by talented creative players but at national level they don't have any real quality players to run off.

Rooney can't do it all on his own and unless the midfielders land some long range bombs then scoring's going to be a real issue. Compare England to any of Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Holland. All these teams are superior particularly in the front third. England should be good enough to comfortably get past the group stage and probably the round of 16 but beyond that I think they'll struggle.

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Spain 2 Holland 1
2. Top scorer. Villa
3. Tournament's MVP. 1.Xavi 2.Sneijder 3. Iniesta
4. Teams who will surprise (if any) Serbia, Ivory Coast,
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). Italy, France, Australia

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Brazil def Spain
2. Top scorer. David Villa
3. Tournament's MVP. Xavi
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Mexico, Australia, USA, Uruguay
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). France, Portugal, South Africa

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final. Italy def Argentina
2. Top scorer. Vincenzo Iaquinta
3. Tournament's MVP. De Rossi
4. Teams who will surprise (if any). Australia
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any). France
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney - Messi

Right then with 31 days to go might as well start this thread (Feel free to update your predictions up until the start of the WC).

Predict the following:

1. Winning team and the teams involved in the final.
2. Top scorer.
3. Tournament's MVP.
4. Teams who will surprise (if any).
5. Teams who will disappoint (if any).
6. Who will have the better tournament out of Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney.

1. Spain to beat Brazil in the final.
2. Torres
3. Xavi
4. Algeria and Cameroon
5. Italy, France and Argentina
6. Messi

Hope I'm not too late :)

1. Final: Spain to beat England 3-2
2. Most Goals: Robin Van Persie & Wayne Rooney (8)
3. MVP = Rooney
4. Biggest Surprise: Want to say Aussies, but even if we do finish 2nd, I can't see us getting past England. I can see a 'smokie' coming from Group A/B. With Goup B, you'd assume that Argentina will finish top, leaving an open court with Nigeria, Korea or Greece. Group A meanwhile has already thrown up some surprising results with two draws so far. Whoever tops group A should have a pretty decent run to the Quarters.
5. Biggest Disappointment: Looks like France, after failing to score against Uruguay.
6. Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney.

Hope I'm not too late :)

1. Final: Spain to beat England 3-2
2. Most Goals: Robin Van Persie & Wayne Rooney (8)
3. MVP = Rooney
4. Biggest Surprise: Want to say Aussies, but even if we do finish 2nd, I can't see us getting past England. I can see a 'smokie' coming from Group A/B. With Goup B, you'd assume that Argentina will finish top, leaving an open court with Nigeria, Korea or Greece. Group A meanwhile has already thrown up some surprising results with two draws so far. Whoever tops group A should have a pretty decent run to the Quarters.
5. Biggest Disappointment: Looks like France, after failing to score against Uruguay.
6. Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney.

Sorry we can't count it. :p

Winner: Spain

Runner-Up: England

Golden Boot: Wayne Rooney

MVP: Lionel Messi

Biggest Surprise: Nigeria

Biggest Disappointment: Netherlands (out in final 16)

Socceroos Finish?: 3rd in Group Stage[/QUOTE]

Messi/Ronaldo/Rooney? Messi

But they're not that great personel wise IMO.

I've never understood the fuss over the English side 'horribly underperforming' after every major tournament. I reckon although they've been disappointing at times they haven't finished too far off to where i'd rate them.

not anywhere near my top 5 International sides in the world on paper. QTR finals would be deemed a success IMO, anything more and they've overachieved.

close to the most overrated sporting side on the planet.

Lampard and Rooney are the only blokes I reckon are anywhere near world class.

sure, the EPL is arguably the best league in the world but most of their gun players are internationally based.
So you're saying Lampard and Rooney are only near 'world class'.

Which is a stupid term btw - but if they're not world class then there must be only three 'world class' players in the world.

Oh and Ashley Cole? :rolleyes:

The best/second best in his position in the world but apparently shit.

No. You're obviously not biased at all.

You probably rate the prolific man of substance David Silva as super world class. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Predictions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back