Training Pre-season 2024 - Hump Daddy #19 Hype Thread! Dawn of Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

He also said Jack is nursing injury (I am bit worried as it's a back, hopefully not Uwland version) and Jed is also behind (coming from injury).
Jed will be fine. He missed most of the preseason last year when he travelled to North America for a holiday and still led the Allies to their first ever national championship as well as being named the AA CHF for a second straight season. The kid is special.

Jed will be fine. He missed most of the preseason last year when he travelled to North America for a holiday and still led the Allies to their first ever national championship as well as being named the AA CHF for a second straight season. The kid is special.
Sure, Jed will be fine but started behind compared to others as Dimma mentioned. Temper your optimism, haha. It's only pre-season and the kid played 0 AFL games. Usually, forwards take time. I remember Charlie Curnow, his idol, spending a lot of time on bench early in his career. Like any draftees, he will need to build his tank among other things.

Last edited:
Sure, Jed will be fine but started behind compared to others as Dimma mentioned. Temper your optimism, haha. It's only pre-season and the kid played 0 AFL games. Usually, forwards take time. I remember Charlie Curnow, his idol, spending a lot of time on bench early in his career. Like any draftees, he will need to build his tank among other things.
I'm not expecting him to win the Coleman or anything. Just pointing out that missing a few weeks in November/December probably won't affect him much next year. His first challenge is to get ahead of Casboult. If he does that then he'll play most weeks.

I'm not expecting him to win the Coleman or anything. Just pointing out that missing a few weeks in November/December probably won't affect him much next year. His first challenge is to get ahead of Casboult. If he does that then he'll play most weeks.
It can absolutely have a huge effect on them next year. Jed is special but a few missed weeks in pre season can always snowball into missed time during the season. Happens all the time.

It can absolutely have a huge effect on them next year. Jed is special but a few missed weeks in pre season can always snowball into missed time during the season. Happens all the time.
Of course it can. I'm just stating my opinion that I don't think it will and used the example of what happened this year.

Big difference between a u18s pre-season and matches and an AFL pre season and matches 😛
No doubt. I watched Jed play against grown men with my own eyes last year and he looked very comfortable but I accept the standard between AFL and any other league is huge. We all know Casboult works hard so if Dimma picks Walter ahead of Levi in round 1 then he will have earnt it.

Cheers, I can't tell who half them are on insta video's lol.

Graham looking strong there, tested well too. So many young talents.

87lcaf.jpg
they are 1 and 2 on my hype list right now

No doubt. I watched Jed play against grown men with my own eyes last year and he looked very comfortable but I accept the standard between AFL and any other league is huge. We all know Casboult works hard so if Dimma picks Walter ahead of Levi in round 1 then he will have earnt it.
It'll be the speed of the games that give him the issues. Everything happens much quicker and he's not going to be stronger than his opponents most of the time.

He's a gun though and it won't take him long :thumbsu:

It'll be the speed of the games that give him the issues. Everything happens much quicker and he's not going to be stronger than his opponents most of the time.

He's a gun though and it won't take him long :thumbsu:
Just remember that Walter will likely get the third best key defender if he does play next year. So it's not like he needs to have the speed/strength/fitness of an All Australian to be competitive.

Just remember that Walter will likely get the third best key defender if he does play next year. So it's not like he needs to have the speed/strength/fitness of an All Australian to be competitive.
Agree but a 3rd best defender on an AFL team is 99.9% of the team 3 or 4 times the player the best defender in an u18s team is. Key position players take time. No matter how dominant they are at u18s level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but a 3rd best defender on an AFL team is 99.9% of the team 3 or 4 times the player the best defender in an u18s team is. Key position players take time. No matter how dominant they are at u18s level.
I think that would have been true in years gone by but what we're starting to see now is the professionalism at the top U18s level has improved so much that some these elite kids are coming in ready made and are having an immediate impact like Daicos and Ashcroft. Admittedly, they are both midfielders but Ashcroft was playing/thriving on ball all season (until his unlucky injury) and that's about as physical as it gets in the AFL.

Ben King is an example of a key position player that was able to play at the top level in his first season and even had some big games as an 18 year old like when he kicked a bag of 4 goals against a finals bound Essendon and took some massive contested marks on established AFL players like Cale Hooker. He also kicked 3 goals against other finals bound teams GWS and Collingwood in his first year. So it can be done as a key position player.

Does anybody know who else is training up with the big boys from the U18s. Leo Lombard is one and I believe Zai Millane. Any others?
Caleb Nancarrow has been training with the AFL team too.

Club must rate Millane as a draft chance if he's been invited to participate. Would be nice to get another famous name at the club.

The thing walter has on his side compared to other first year talls is his willingness to tackle. He's not a one trick pony and this will help him influence games even when a more experienced defender might be getting the better of him. He may come up against Dan Curtin if he's in the team early and he has done ok against him in the champs.

So you’re saying that Davies will be our back-up ruck?

But honestly, not sure what the future has for Davies. Hasn’t really come on the way I think some of us hoped and he is quite a ways down the midfield order. He definitely knows how to put on mass, but can he go up a gear?
Yeap.

Davies replacing Swallow eventually, played only 25 games. We need big body inside (at least sometimes). He can mark, score. Just need to be more involved. I thought he was actually quite good in our last game against North - 22 D 1 G 6 T 3 C.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre-season 2024 - Hump Daddy #19 Hype Thread! Dawn of Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Back