• When I was around 17

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When I was around 21

• I've never been drunk!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I drink every weekend and there is no end in site, why would there be.

^One reason would be if someone gets liver disease, seeing as alcohol damages the liver first and foremost, especially in large amounts (eg binge drinking on weekends).

Just answering your question (not sure if it was rhetorical).

^One reason would be if someone gets liver disease, seeing as alcohol damages the liver first and foremost, especially in large amounts (eg binge drinking on weekends).

Just answering your question (not sure if it was rhetorical).

What they call binge drinking these days is a joke and an overused term i think.

I could easily get hit by a car crossing the road tomorrow or crash my car, i'm not about to stop driving because it is a risk to my health.

I hate people saying oh there is no point drinking its bad for you blah blah acting all high and mighty (not accusing you of this by the way) i also hate drinkers getting stuck into non drinkers, i definately don't do that.

How many of you don't drink because of health risks/stupid behaviour, bad hangovers etc but still smoke?

I drink every weekend and there is no end in site, why would there be.

And ofcourse drinking changes how you act, if being yourself means your to quiet and hardly go out why not have a few and loosen up.

Interesting Question Power21. From my own experience, If I didn't drink, I didn't go out, and I stayed at home. Therefore, the nights were always pretty boring, and quite depressing. If on the odd chance, I did go out, I wouldn't drink, and be pressured by so many people to drink. If on the odd chance I decided to drink, yes I would be more sociable, but I'd also start acting like a ********, and saying things that shouldn't be said, and being stupid. I've learnt my lessons.

It is extremely difficult going out with a few guys all drinking when you are sober. Its nearly impossible to get a decent conversation with anyone. Ever been sober talking to a drunk? its quite annoying. I can understand how the women feel, when harrassed by blokes.

I know I have issues with being sociable, but I definitely know that drinking to solve those problems isn't a viable option. Its only going to bring on more problems. You don't break fears by absconding from them. I have found other solutions to the problems, the first one was to get rid of everyone who disrespected me, and ridiculed me on a daily basis. Some of these people were considered friends, but no more. Certainly none of this would have changed, had I continued to drink to try and get rid of these problems:)

Still a risk.

^For me, the difference between risk in drinking as opposed to driving, is that with drinking, you are in control of how much you drink.

If someone drinks to a ridiculously high level, they have chosen to do this. With driving, you can only control how safe you drive, but you have no control over the driving of other people (the latter separates the difference in risk between driving and drinking to me). If you are driving safely, and some bogan decides to floor it then crash into you, you had absolutely no say in what he had to do.

I agree on your analogy though if you were comparing 'binge' drinking to hoon-type driving.

^For me, the difference between risk in drinking as opposed to driving, is that with drinking, you are in control of how much you drink.

If someone drinks to a ridiculously high level, they have chosen to do this. With driving, you can only control how safe you drive, but you have no control over the driving of other people (the latter separates the difference in risk between driving and drinking to me). If you are driving safely, and some bogan decides to floor it then crash into you, you had absolutely no say in what he had to do.

I agree on your analogy though if you were comparing 'binge' drinking to hoon-type driving.

Interesting fact:

You can drive under .05 but if you have an accident, no insurance cover!

So there seem to be two schools of thought there. I am to the belief that any alcohol impairs your ability to function effectively.

I'm nearly 16.

The only drink I've ever had is wine at church and when I had it the first time I can't believe I did this but i spat it back into the cup. So disgusting!!

Couldnt think of anything worse.

I guess when I was younger I just wanted to drink to get drunk, but I'd never just have one or two drinks, I never saw the point in it. I'd rather have a soda, or something. So once I saw the stupidity in getting drunk, the health problems, the hangovers, the idiodic behavior, I stopped.

For me I can't see a reason for drinking. I've always used alcohol to socialize, to be more sociable, to get out of being too quiet. But I feel if you are drinking for those reasons, you aren't really being yourself then are you. I'd rather be myself, be real. I think a lot of people are trying to escape from reality by drinking, so they don't have to face up to it.

Quality post.

I proudly don't drink. Never have, never will. I simply choose not to. That is my personal choice, not influenced by other people or other factors (eg. religion), and I'm sticking to it, and will not change it for anything or anyone.

However, I have absolutely no problem with anyone else drinking though. They should feel free to do what they want (without hurting anyone else, of course), and I have many friends who drink around me, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

wondering if there are any girls out there that don't drink -at all- ?

if so, curious as to how old you are?

i ask due to a theory i have, and that is 99% of girls who are about 19/20 or older drink. Can only count the number that don't on one hand which says a ****load

I met a great girl who doesn't drink a few months ago in a club here in Adelaide. I only met her that one time, but she's one of the best girls I've ever met, both looks-wise and personality-wise. We had a great time dancing and chatting and so on, and got along great. I was really keen on her. She had to leave with friends at one point, and willingly gave me her number. I was pretty excited, and was very keen to see her again.

When I realised later on that I hadn't pressed save when I put her number into my phone, and therefore didn't have her number anymore, I was very pissed off at my own stupidity, to say the least :mad: Even if we don't drink, sometimes annoying stuff like that can happen on a night out I suppose :eek:

Never have and never will. I could write a whole book on the amount of times I've rejected people trying to get me to drink.

And all the standard follow-up questions/comments (my thoughts are in brackets.):

- "Why don't you drink?" ("I just don't.")
- "Are you religious?" ("Not particularly.")
- "Are you driving?" ("I don't have a license.")
- "Do you have a problem with alcohol?" ("I've never tried it.")
- "You're not going to get drunk on just one." ("I know that. I still don't care, either.")
- "Are you ever going to drink?" ("No, it's a lifestyle choice I've made and I'm sticking to it.")
- "I'll buy you your first drink." ("No, you won't. I don't drink. My lifestyle choice is not going to change just because you offer to pay.")
- "Do you have a problem with other people drinking?" ("No, I don't care. Do whatever you want.")
- "It must be weird being around people who are drunk when you're not." ("I've never gone out and had it be otherwise, so I don't really know the difference.")
- "Don't you get bored going out and not drinking?" ("No, I don't, I love going out, and do it nearly every weekend. I probably have a better time than a lot of people as well.")
- "You must get tired pretty quickly when you're out not drinking." ("No, I think I'm more awake, alert and having a better time than most people, the whole time, often until around 5AM.")
- "I couldn't handle going out and not drinking. Town is shit without it." ("Then stay home if you hate it that much.")

And so on...

The big deal people make about something that you don't do is amazing. I never even talk about it until someone else brings it up, which if they're someone you don't already know, is inevitable it seems.

Just so people don't think I'm a total prick, I don't actually respond to those questions/comments in that way. I am a lot more friendly and more tactful than that. They are moreso the blunt, honest thoughts that spring to mind when each question/comment gets raised.

Don't see the reason to drink.

I still have a great time with people laughing our asses off, and to be frank, I'm very confident with women.

Personally, I see no benefit with drinking, and only risk.

I'm the same :thumbsu: I have absolutely no problem with other people drinking, I just choose not to myself. People can do whatever they want, so long as they're not harming me or others in the process. I don't preach to people about it, either. People should know the risks of drinking already

Once you get over the initial fear of approaching someone (the part that gets in the way with most guys, if anything does), then provided you have a bit of personality (and a decent sense of humour) to begin with you're probably better off not being drunk when meeting women. Still, each to their own though.

I have never been a drinker and don't think I ever will. I don't mind others drinking as long as they do not negatively impact on others. I also do not drink coffee, which makes me a rare individual indeed.

Again, I'm the same :thumbsu: I don't drink anything with caffiene in it, actually. So not even Coke or Red Bull.

^That's the stereotypical mentality - if you don't drink then it's boring.

Disagree completely.

Exactly. If you're relying on alcohol to provide a good time for you, then maybe you need to assess your choice of activities and where you go, etc. Not trying to sound like a prick about it, but it's pretty easy IMO to have fun without alcohol, so long as you're with people you like and/or in a venue you enjoy.

I realise drinking happens in other situations than when you're out on the weekend and so on, but that's the main situation where I encounter it, so that's what I use to explain it most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Damon, you have never had champagne on new years, or to toast someone? Or had wine with your meal?
Never stood around with men at a BBQ, sipping beer and talking trash?

You seem to be under the impression that even a single drop of alcohol will put you on the road to binge drinking and alcoholism.

Not meaning to criticise you, just struggling to understand such a rigid view on alcohol.

You seem to be under the impression that even a single drop of alcohol will put you on the road to binge drinking and alcoholism.

^I don't see where you draw this impression from.

From his post, it clearly demonstrates the principle of, 'if you dont need to do it, then why do it?'

Damon 3388, shit, I feel like you are me, just in the mind of another person.

A collingwood person :eek:

So Damon, you have never had champagne on new years, or to toast someone? Or had wine with your meal?
Never stood around with men at a BBQ, sipping beer and talking trash?

Not meaning to criticise you, just struggling to understand such a rigid view on alcohol.

No, I've never had a drop of alcohol, and never intend to. The part that is probably difficult for others to understand is that I have virtually no reason for my choice, beyond the fact that alcohol and what it involves simply doesn't appeal to me.

I realise that alcohol is very ingrained in many people's social interations, and being without it is almost unfathomable to some. However, I'm perfectly comfortable without it, and feel totally at ease without it in social situations. I'm not there thinking to myself "Ok, I must not drink". I simply don't think about it, and don't really care. It's mainly other people that make a fuss about it, when they see you with lemonade or water in your hand instead of a beer or vodka.

Something else I just thought of (that probably seems totally stupid, but anyway) - what is it about going out that makes people want to consume more liquids? I mean, I've already established that I don't drink alcohol, but I don't feel compelled to drink 10 lemonades either. My thirst for liquid doesn't increases that much just from being out. I just consume drinks at the regular pace that I would at home or in other situations. I realise that we aren't cavemen and don't always only drink or eat when we are thirsty or hungry, but yea, it's something to think about. I know it can be tiring and thirsty dancing, but not everyone does that either. But yea, something silly I thought of and something to think about.

You're right Damon, alcohol is very ingrained in many people's social interations, that's why I find it hard to understand why you've sworn off alcohol.

Going back to my 3 examples of drinking in my previous post. If you're at a wedding, for example, and you're toasting the bride and groom, its traditional to do it with champagne. Unless you have a damn good reason why you can't drink alcohol (pregnant, recovering alcoholic, health), its quite anti-social to toast with a lemonade.

A glass of wine at dinner is very healthy, why wouldn't you have some if the opportunity was there?

Drinking beer with other blokes is a way of male bonding. If there's 5 guys standing around talking footy, the guy with a lemonade is perceived as somewhat of an outsider, even if no one says anything.

None of those examples have anything to do with altering your state of mind, or improving your social skills, or helping you enjoy yourself more.

To be frank, i find it bizarre that not only do you refuse to drink it, but that you have no real reason to not even want to try it once (which you yourself pointed out).

Look, I've given up alcohol for 6 weeks as a health thing and a personal challenge, so I understand the social pressures you must come up against. I don't have alcohol cravings, and could easily never drink a drop again. But I will. I don't drink to get drunk, I don't like feeling drunk because I don't feel like myself. That doesn't mean I can't have a beer or 3 with friends on a Friday night, or try wacky cocktails with my gf for a bit of a laugh.

Like I said though, I'm not having a go. Just telling it from my point of view and my lack of understanding of your stance. Each to their own, right?

And all the standard follow-up questions/comments (my thoughts are in brackets.):

- "Why don't you drink?" ("I just don't.")
- "Are you religious?" ("Not particularly.")
- "Are you driving?" ("I don't have a license.")
- "Do you have a problem with alcohol?" ("I've never tried it.")
- "You're not going to get drunk on just one." ("I know that. I still don't care, either.")
- "Are you ever going to drink?" ("No, it's a lifestyle choice I've made and I'm sticking to it.")
- "I'll buy you your first drink." ("No, you won't. I don't drink. My lifestyle choice is not going to change just because you offer to pay.")
- "Do you have a problem with other people drinking?" ("No, I don't care. Do whatever you want.")
- "It must be weird being around people who are drunk when you're not." ("I've never gone out and had it be otherwise, so I don't really know the difference.")
- "Don't you get bored going out and not drinking?" ("No, I don't, I love going out, and do it nearly every weekend. I probably have a better time than a lot of people as well.")
- "You must get tired pretty quickly when you're out not drinking." ("No, I think I'm more awake, alert and having a better time than most people, the whole time, often until around 5AM.")
- "I couldn't handle going out and not drinking. Town is shit without it." ("Then stay home if you hate it that much.")

And so on...

The big deal people make about something that you don't do is amazing. I never even talk about it until someone else brings it up, which if they're someone you don't already know, is inevitable it seems.

Just so people don't think I'm a total prick, I don't actually respond to those questions/comments in that way. I am a lot more friendly and more tactful than that. They are moreso the blunt, honest thoughts that spring to mind when each question/comment gets raised.

Nicely put Damon. I used to get quite a few weird glances in uni when people offered me a drink. A lot of the time I'd just politely decline, and then I'd get the barrage of questions. Not that it ever bothered me, it just always felt very awkward.

Once you get over the initial fear of approaching someone (the part that gets in the way with most guys, if anything does), then provided you have a bit of personality (and a decent sense of humour) to begin with you're probably better off not being drunk when meeting women. Still, each to their own though.

Well, I've got no hope. Maybe I should start drinking after all :eek:.

Again, I'm the same :thumbsu: I don't drink anything with caffiene in it, actually. So not even Coke or Red Bull.

Eliminating caffeine from the diet is next for me, though giving up the soft drinks is not going to be anywhere near as simple as turning down a beer.

You're right Damon, alcohol is very ingrained in many people's social interations, that's why I find it hard to understand why you've sworn off alcohol.

Going back to my 3 examples of drinking in my previous post. If you're at a wedding, for example, and you're toasting the bride and groom, its traditional to do it with champagne. Unless you have a damn good reason why you can't drink alcohol (pregnant, recovering alcoholic, health), its quite anti-social to toast with a lemonade.

A glass of wine at dinner is very healthy, why wouldn't you have some if the opportunity was there?

Drinking beer with other blokes is a way of male bonding. If there's 5 guys standing around talking footy, the guy with a lemonade is perceived as somewhat of an outsider, even if no one says anything.

None of those examples have anything to do with altering your state of mind, or improving your social skills, or helping you enjoy yourself more.

To be frank, i find it bizarre that not only do you refuse to drink it, but that you have no real reason to not even want to try it once (which you yourself pointed out).

Look, I've given up alcohol for 6 weeks as a health thing and a personal challenge, so I understand the social pressures you must come up against. I don't have alcohol cravings, and could easily never drink a drop again. But I will. I don't drink to get drunk, I don't like feeling drunk because I don't feel like myself. That doesn't mean I can't have a beer or 3 with friends on a Friday night, or try wacky cocktails with my gf for a bit of a laugh.

Like I said though, I'm not having a go. Just telling it from my point of view and my lack of understanding of your stance. Each to their own, right?

The following numbers correspond to your paragraphs.

I know you aren't asking me, but these are my opinions.

2. I would argue that not toasting is what's considered as anti-social at a wedding's toast, rather than the specific type of drink you have.

3. I would argue against the perceived notion that a glass of wine is, 'very healthy'. Take a random non-alcoholic beverage considered as healthy, eg orange juice. Why would you not drink OJ if it was there and so was wine?

4. Depends on how the males bonded. Was alcohol the reason the bonds were formed, or is alcohol something enjoyed as a result of bonding. If it is the latter, I would argue that people wouldn't give that much of a shit. I would also say how much one is considered an outsider (because of what they drink) depends on how much of a 'leader' or how much 'importance' that non-alcoholic drinker has within that group. If that person is already somewhat of an outsider (eg doesn't talk much etc), then not drinking alcohol would exacerbate his 'outsideness'. If that person is very popular within the group, then not drinking alcohol wouldn't exacerbate his 'outsideness' much, if at all, in my opinion.

7. The last sentence here is basically talking about fun. I'm of the belief that the same amount of fun can be had without the alcohol. It's about creating an environment through your interactions that gets rid of the alcohol difference as a barrier.

8. Agreed.

A lot of your reasoning revolves around fun and its perceptions. I just think that if alcohol wouldn't really change this for the person in question, then why go out of your way to drink it if it's not your style.

I enjoyed your post btw.

I'd defintely disagree with this one. It depends on the individuals personality. If you remain inhibited, shy, and generally awkward without your drink, sure, you will stand out.

However, if you are like my muslim friend, who is a fantastic conversationalist, you never notice that he's not holding a beer.

I like the post that said binging is escapism. This is definitely true with me, & I'd say true for everyone. Even if you aren't shy while sober, you are still becoming a different person when you drink. I'm quite enjoying putting myself to the test socially without drinking. It's strange entering situations where I'd usually be drunk at first, but it gets easier & easier, & more & more satisfying.

Broke all the records then retired.

Don't bother with it anymore. It's always weird being sober around drunks and thinking what an arse clown you must have looked like.

I have a very poor memory when on the juice. I rarely remember going to bed; I usually just wake up the next morning, check that I still have all of my teeth, and then proceed with the rest of my day.

I often think to myself that if I were to take a voice-recording device and record my words from a night on the piss I would struggle to get through the playback the next day without vomiting in disgust at my arse-clowniness.

But you know what I always proceed such thoughts with? 'Who cares!'. It is fun and, so long as nobody is getting hurt (and as much of a w***er as I can occasionally be on the juice, I've never swung a punch in anger) it is all good.

I could easily live without drinking another drop of alcohol, but have no intention of doing so.

I'd defintely disagree with this one. It depends on the individuals personality. If you remain inhibited, shy, and generally awkward without your drink, sure, you will stand out.

However, if you are like my muslim friend, who is a fantastic conversationalist, you never notice that he's not holding a beer.

It is an unfortunate coincidence that the few people who I know who don't drink generally happen to be the most boring, whereas the people who are fun to drink with are fun when sober, too.

I like the post that said binging is escapism. This is definitely true with me, & I'd say true for everyone. Even if you aren't shy while sober, you are still becoming a different person when you drink..

Escapism? For alcoholics who drink alone and/or during the day, for sure.

But for many people like me, the grog simply enhances a life that we already enjoy. That certainly doesn't fit my understand of the term 'escapism'.

I like the post that said binging is escapism. This is definitely true with me, & I'd say true for everyone. Even if you aren't shy while sober, you are still becoming a different person when you drink. I'm quite enjoying putting myself to the test socially without drinking. It's strange entering situations where I'd usually be drunk at first, but it gets easier & easier, & more & more satisfying.

If people are already happy, and confident, then why do they need alcohol?

Despite being extremely socially shy, I once tested a theory I had. I said one night going out that I'd remain sober and I'd just talk and talk and talk. You know what, I realized how impossible it was to get a conversation around drunks. It didn't matter what I said I couldn't relate to anything that was being said anyway. It was actually quite uncomfortable.

If you go for a job interview.....Do you loosen up with a couple of drinks?
I'm willing to say that if you are shy and you use alcohol to release that. Its going to make it harder and harder to overcome your problems. How many people here can say that they have met someone, girl meet boy, boy meet girl etc. while drunk, and then when you meet up at another time, the sting is gone, and things are so dull and boring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post here if you don't drink.

Back