Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

it was a shame you got squeezed by ridiculously accurate kicking in the first half from the Blooze. Never really gave you a chance, & meant you were playing catch-up all day.

Unfortunately, not a good spectacle.

But boy was I stoked with young Nason!! I have him in my SuperCoach based largely on the opinions on the Richmond board over summer, so thanks guys! :thumbsu:

Ben Cousins...lets hope he doesnt lose the appetite due to our predicament..a prime example of how you dont have to have pace to make things happen..just a ****ing brain
Ben Nason...hunger is the key to success, if you have skill and hardnessto work with.
Cotch ...out and out superfreak...just knows what to do and when to do it.
Dan Connors..laser beam from HB will be crucial when HFs are there to feast on them.
Will Thursfield...
Luke McGuane..the above 2 are to smart for their teamates back there...they need a few who have the same smarts..
JR..once he has a bigger foil to take the wrap...he will be a match winner.

Apart from that....nothing much else apart from Doc and Relton..;)

Let's get the negative out of the way - the skill level was appalling. Missing handballs from 5 meteres that sailed over your teammates head is never going to win you matches.

However we can't all be blessed with skill - and of course consistency comes with development.

What you can always do though - is put in a good effort.

And trolls aside, I don't think anyone could bag the effort the Tigers put in last night. The tackle count speaks volumes for the endeavour - and without a shadow of a doubt - you guys have had some serious tackling training over the summer - some of your boys laid some great tackles.

It's a long road ahead - but at least the boys are trying

Cousins is unfit, he'll only get better. Lids was good and cotchin is going to be a star.

Yeah it was obvious he wasnt himself, I am assuming due to the recent illness, however am I the only one who thought he didnt look as interested as last season.

Maybe I am seeing things, but he just didnt look as desperate, not to mention his disposal was pretty average by his standards.

Yeah it was obvious he wasnt himself, I am assuming due to the recent illness, however am I the only one who thought he didnt look as interested as last season.

Maybe I am seeing things, but he just didnt look as desperate, not to mention his disposal was pretty average by his standards.
I'm with you. What reason would he have for wanting to play football anymore?

The shining lights out of this game for me:

We gave up a 6 goal lead early, fought back and showed some fight whilst the opposition were kicking through the eye of a needle at goal.

Our better players had poor nights all round to be honest.

Carlton as much as I hate to say are a better side than people give them credit for. Great midfield and a backline that gets better each season, and don't get fooled by Fev leaving and thinking they will fall in a heap. He's a top forward but he also had gold service from the last few seasons.

Yeah, Simmonds is one game closer to retirement

Nason, Martin, Jack, Morton, Roberts, Vickery, showed some good signs:thumbsu:

We could have been beaten by a lot more:eek:

Nason tried very hard good tackling and runs hard like cousins does

Always at the fall of the ball, at times ran under the flight path of the ball thentracked it back to the contest, but unfortunatly, hands were either to strong by Riewoldt or whoever was plucking them or the big fist cleared his possition, but he was always front and centre and a bag and a ripper game is not too far away!

I'm with you. What reason would he have for wanting to play football anymore?

Glad it wasnt just me, although i was hoping I was seeing things.

I did read that the club had to speak to him about his training pre season as he wasnt working hard enough. That is not the Cuz we know and love. Maybe the end is closer for him than we thought.

To stay on topic, this would mean more game time for a kid, thats a positive LOL

The shining lights out of this game for me:

We gave up a 6 goal lead early, fought back and showed some fight whilst the opposition were kicking through the eye of a needle at goal.

Our better players had poor nights all round to be honest.

Carlton as much as I hate to say are a better side than people give them credit for. Great midfield and a backline that gets better each season, and don't get fooled by Fev leaving and thinking they will fall in a heap. He's a top forward but he also had gold service from the last few seasons.

Yeah, Simmonds is one game closer to retirement

Nason, Martin, Jack, Morton, Roberts, Vickery, showed some good signs:thumbsu:

We could have been beaten by a lot more:eek:

I thought Connors was OK too. I can take Newman having a poor one as he always has a go. Richie was terrible. Lids lazy.

A huge positive was that with a very young and inexperienced side, including 4 debutants, we didnt ever give it up. After the 5 goal head start and a bit in junk time we were very competitive for the rest of the game. Last years side capitulated after 1 quarter and we could have again. We didnt and actually showed a bit of ticker n fight. Good signs going forward

I also agree with Tugga :)

Thomson played pretty well, I reckon he's going to improve a lot this year, good for 20-24 disposals a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bar one of his disposals, all his disposals ended up creating something for us in the way of real deal cohesion and movement of the ball....what game were you watching dude? And the one that went to the space was a lesson to our FL on where they should be leading to, instead of all running into each other in one area....he looked up and thought ****ing hell, dont these guys know where they have to be and put it there...a big ****ing hole, inside 50 with no one there..that should have had a target waiting...FFS watch the game...the guy is a champ who will leave us purely because he thinks like a winning footballer should and plays with a bunch of players who havent got a brain, let alone think like winners. ;)

I thought the game was a very, very good blueprint of what we've got and what we've got to do.

What we've got - a brilliant midfield in the making.
Lids was excellent and is getting harder all the time.
Cotchin isn't 100% but everything he does is done well and his intensity seemed to rise as the game went on.
Martin is terrific.
Jackson is embracing leadership and learning how to lead by example. At one point last night it hit me that this is our next captain. Go on - give it to me.
Tambling had a crappy night but needs to be in the midfield.

What we've got to do -
Get height in the forward line. This killed us last night. Jack was great in the first half when one on one, but then Carlton realised he was the only target and they dropped another one or two onto him when the ball came in. He's too mobile to be much good for crumbers and there was never anyone there when the ball hit the ground. We need Polak (or Post) in the goalsquare with Nahas and Roberts at his feet.
The lack of forward height also meant Waite could go into attack for the Blues, making the job even harder for McGuane, Thursfield and Moore.

My quick wrap; Nason was good, Roberts will be good in a better structured attack. Moore should go out this week and give Rance (or Post) a chance. Thought Vickery looked like he belonged even if he didn't have a great game - keep playing him and we'll have a very good footballer by year's end. Connors was good, Thomson was very good, Hislop was ordinary. Simmonds still isn't looking good but I thought he played a role. Get Cousins and Tambling through the middle more.

Where to start. Who looked at our team and thought" we are gunna get flogged"?
We had 6 short people. Surely there is only room for 2, maybe 3.
We had no rucks.
We had no key forwards. Riewoldt and Morton are NOT key forwards and some dill(s) on Richmond's match committee keep playing them as such.

How could we possibly expect to beat any side with that sort of line-up.
I don't blame the players at all, I reckon they had a real dip but they had no chance.
And this gameplan. Bombing the ball into a forward line with no real talls and a heap of smalls.
People on here are saying Hardwicke will be good. He's certainly not good at team selection if that effort was any indication. That was Wallacelike at best.

We NEED: Only 2-3 small players. Take your pick but Nason was good and Nahas has credits from last year. (I'm including Tambling and Roberts in here) : An extra number of medium solid players. We have Polo and Tuck plus Rance and Collins who fit this bill. Maybe not all great players
but able to stand up and be competitive
: A ruckman. That team selection last night was reminiscent of picking up Kent Kingsley in the draft. I just don't understand stupidity like that. How can experienced football people be that dumb
: One (or two) key forwards. Play Vickery there and let him learn, or Post or Polak. And certainly bring in Astbury and Griffiths when they are ready. At least that will give Jack and Morton SOME chance. They have none at the moment.
I know we have to start again, the new guys have to get experience and we have to try out players.
BUT pick a team that allows those playing to be competitive.
Don't criticise the players last night, they tried, even if some of them may stuggle at that level at present. Criticise the morons who put that team on the park

Bombing the ball into a forward line with no real talls and a heap of smalls.
People on here are saying Hardwicke will be good. He's certainly not good at team selection if that effort was any indication.
Don't criticise the players last night, they tried, even if some of them may stuggle at that level at present. Criticise the morons who put that team on the park

Yeah, that's sorta what I was trying to say ... but nicer.

Where to start. Who looked at our team and thought" we are gunna get flogged"?
We had 6 short people. Surely there is only room for 2, maybe 3.
We had no rucks.
We had no key forwards. Riewoldt and Morton are NOT key forwards and some dill(s) on Richmond's match committee keep playing them as such.

I don't blame the players at all, I reckon they had a real dip but they had no chance.
And this gameplan. Bombing the ball into a forward line with no real talls and a heap of smalls.
People on here are saying Hardwicke will be good. He's certainly not good at team selection if that effort was any indication. That was Wallacelike at best.

We NEED: Only 2-3 small players. Take your pick but Nason was good and Nahas has credits from last year. (I'm including Tambling and Roberts in here) : An extra number of medium solid players. We have Polo and Tuck plus Rance and Collins who fit this bill. Maybe not all great players
but able to stand up and be competitive
: A ruckman. That team selection last night was reminiscent of picking up Kent Kingsley in the draft. I just don't understand stupidity like that. How can experienced football people be that dumb
: One (or two) key forwards. Play Vickery there and let him learn, or Post or Polak. And certainly bring in Astbury and Griffiths when they are ready. At least that will give Jack and Morton SOME chance. They have none at the moment.
I know we have to start again, the new guys have to get experience and we have to try out players.
BUT pick a team that allows those playing to be competitive.

the one baffler for me is that in his cameos last year the one thing this kid showed was that he offers a viable big target for our FL and can mix it with strength and make the marking contest a ****ing contest..like a real contest instead of one that has the ball whisked away.....dont know if he was under a cloud, and i idont know if they had any designs on Vickery being able to ruck or play as the tall option in the FL. Either way IMO they are pissing time up against the wall with him. But how on earth Post doesnt get a gig in that FL, from what he showed in his handful of games last year, defies logic. Damien start sacking your advisors now if that is what advice they are giving you. ;)

Well there weren't a lot of positives, but I was being philosophical at the game so tried to watch it without having tunnel vision.

What I picked up was:

We didn't play to our strengths or exploit their weaknesses. In the opening term we played that ridiculous zone defence, and that just allowed them to build confidence with no pressure. Hardwick should learn from that. By all means use that as a tactic but not at the start of the game. Just gave them easy possessions all over the ground. By the time we went man on man we were 5 goals down and had no spirit and they were all over us. Should have learnt this in the practice games.

We just let them dominate with that all star attack of Sultana and Waite coming back from injury. Should have played someone mobile on them to run off them. Instead we went conventional and McGuane and Thursfield weren't up to it. Moore slightly better but still nothing flash. Newman did nothing.

We had no-one at CHF. Riewlodt and Morton would dominate in a great team. But they are not key forwards. Why we did not play Polak as a plodding CHF/FF to bring the ball to ground I have no idea. Vickery showed nothing.

Wasn't impressed with the key defenders, would love to give Gourdis a crack if someone gets injured. Even Rance may be worth a try next week.

Nason squibbed it a lot, but it would be unfair to criticize him too much for this.

Jackson is rubbish, for those who are fans, I suggest that the opposition are happy to let him be the one accumulates the ball, knowing that if they lock down our other genuine mids, Jackson wont hurt them.

Deledio should be played in an attacking role where he can hurt the opposition.

Not a lot to take out of it, but at least we learnt what doesn't work.

bar one of his disposals, all his disposals ended up creating something for us in the way of real deal cohesion and movement of the ball....what game were you watching dude? And the one that went to the space was a lesson to our FL on where they should be leading to, instead of all running into each other in one area....he looked up and thought ****ing hell, dont these guys know where they have to be and put it there...a big ****ing hole, inside 50 with no one there..that should have had a target waiting...FFS watch the game...the guy is a champ who will leave us purely because he thinks like a winning footballer should and plays with a bunch of players who havent got a brain, let alone think like winners. ;)

What game were you watching cuz was average at best and his disposal was not great at all! few kicks missed targets or fell short and fumbled a couple of crucial times... first game tho cant be to harsh on the great man but seriously dude he was not that great

Jackson is rubbish, for those who are fans, I suggest that the opposition are happy to let him be the one accumulates the ball, knowing that if they lock down our other genuine mids, Jackson wont hurt them.

clap2.gif
clap2.gif
clap2.gif

The negative is that Vickery is not ready to be the senior ruckman and although he is only in his second year I have my doubts that he ever will be as he lacks presence.
I will make an early call on this one and I will get absolutely caned for saying this, but, in my opinion, Vickery won't make it. Has not shown one single glimpse of anything in any of the games that he has played to suggest he will be any better than OK. Usually you can see something straight away in a kid that you know is going to get somewhere.
I have not seen one thing in this kid at all.
Go on. Fire away. But I will stand by my comment.

Riewoldt - for a guy playing with very little support I thought he was terrific. Undersized, little protection and some poor forward movement made his task impossible but he attacks the ball hard. He is going to be a seriously good player.

Martin and Cotchin with more games and fitness respectively will be guns for the next decade. Get Tuck in there to help them out.

Negative - GC17 & GWS with the first 1000 draft picks.

I will make an early call on this one and I will get absolutely caned for saying this, but, in my opinion, Vickery won't make it. Has not shown one single glimpse of anything in any of the games that he has played to suggest he will be any better than OK. Usually you can see something straight away in a kid that you know is going to get somewhere.
I have not seen one thing in this kid at all.
Go on. Fire away. But I will stand by my comment.

I'm on the same track, just in a different train.

Haven't seen anything from him yet, but am not quite ready to write him off. I think he will get more out of playing at VFL, closer to his own level, for confidence and learning sake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back