Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno why we don't look to Ireland the gaelic footy guys are generally tough & good movers with endurance.

One experience with a homesick lad and we've given up.
Nobody wants the junket trip(s) to Ireland it seems.

I reckon we should also look at college blokes in USA who have played soccer and/or basketball and can't get a pro contract. Not as big as Mason Cox, maybe the 200cm ie 6'5" or 6'6" types who are more mobile than Cox. There are probably 500 to 1,000 each year who don't get a pro contract once they finish college, who have great hand eye co-ordination and are great athletes, just like the Irish guys.

I'd favour soccer and kicking experienced USA athletes.

I dunno why we don't look to Ireland the gaelic footy guys are generally tough & good movers with endurance.

One experience with a homesick lad and we've given up.

There's probably one indigenous player in the top 40 in the AFL draft this year. There's probably plenty of untapped talent there that needs to be developed.

There were a couple of what I thought were very likely Irish types here last year trying to get drafted. Nobody picked them up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Brad Scott said he’s a good person

You do wonder at what level of offending a talented AFL player stops being a good person?

Just heard that the Crows have put a massive offer .On the table for Elliott Yeo.
Eagles have offered Yeo a two year deal.The Crows offer is a three year contract with a lot more cash offered.
Just thinking while Yeo is a fantastic player.How many games has he played in the last 3 seasons.Probably around 20 games.
Would be a good pick up for the Crows.Aparantly hes fantastic working with the younger players.

1990-2024

1. Jason McCartney (Vic)
2. Richard Tambling (NT)
3. James Podsiadly (Vic)

They could offer Yeo (WA) a 5% ownership stake in the club and he’d be long odds to accept.

Nobody wants the junket trip(s) to Ireland it seems.

I reckon we should also look at college blokes in USA who have played soccer and/or basketball and can't get a pro contract. Not as big as Mason Cox, maybe the 200cm ie 6'5" or 6'6" types who are more mobile than Cox. There are probably 500 to 1,000 each year who don't get a pro contract once they finish college, who have great hand eye co-ordination and are great athletes, just like the Irish guys.

I'd favour soccer and kicking experienced USA athletes.

The basketball players are so obviously the ones to get! So many don't make it, but are ridiculous athletes. Similar with tight ends and wide receivers. Would make fantastic half forwards/wingers.

The basketball players are so obviously the ones to get! So many don't make it, but are ridiculous athletes. Similar with tight ends and wide receivers. Would make fantastic half forwards/wingers.

I watched about 5 minutes of some state league basketball game, the agility and fitness were highly impressive. 360 degree field of play and passing/blocking route running skills would translate very easily to AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back