Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggest Collingwood supporters boycott Koch's breakfast show and let channel 7 know of their protest.

Give this mob an inch and they'll take a mile. They should be content with their Showdown , but no they want it for both . Then Koch uses his position in the media to have a sook about it.
Correct.

first it was “can we just wear the Prison bars for our 150th celebrations”..

now its “just twice a year during showdowns please”..

once they get that over the line it will be “please can we wear it in home games against everyone but Collingwood”..

then it will be “all home games even ones against the pies, its our home game after all”..

the whole original agreement will die a death of a thousand cuts..

Loving the Crows fans' hate on here
At least they are being civil rather than the crap written on other club boards like the Collingwood one. Pretending to speak on behalf of what Port fans really think.

One jumper is steeped in history. One jumper is not the regularly used one each week.
One jumper is so close to the other, that they couldn't possibly be worn against each other in the same match, and they aren't trying to.
One jumper has just enough of a difference from the other that casual observers won't really be confused or bothered by it.
That's right guys and gals, it's...
View attachment 1114029

Oh no, wait, that's not the right one. It's...
View attachment 1114032

Just let them wear it a few times a year. It's really not a big deal.

I used to be one of those people who thought it made me reasonable and above the fray to just say 'who cares? It's just a jumper'. But then I realised I was a complete muppet.

You can't have two teams wearing the same outfit. Orange and white logos are pretty different, unless you're colour blind. Prison bars are nearly identical. It just makes the entire league look like an amateur clownshow, not just Port and Collingwood.

It's good that they are finally putting the foot down on this nonsense.

Have no problem with them wearing them all the time apart from against collingwood.

After all EVERY Victorian club no longer wears a guernsey that's identical to what they wore when first joining the competition, footyjumpers.com is really informative ..... :p

Personally not following either club I am not too fussed in the outcome but like others I am annoyed at the control Eddie has over the AFL. They have been very weak on this topic.

As others have said I thought Eddie's comments about the signed contract put Gill in an embarrassing situation as he would of known as well. To have an AFL official mislead and favour one of its clubs goes to heart of this problem.

I used to be one of those people who thought it made me reasonable and above the fray to just say 'who cares? It's just a jumper'. But then I realised I was a complete muppet.

You can't have two teams wearing the same outfit. Orange and white logos are pretty different, unless you're colour blind. Prison bars are nearly identical. It just makes the entire league look like an amateur clownshow, not just Port and Collingwood.

It's good that they are finally putting the foot down on this nonsense.
So we should see Collingwood with a proper clash strip shortly. Excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving the Crows fans' hate on here
At least they are being civil rather than the crap written on other club boards like the Collingwood one. Pretending to speak on behalf of what Port fans really think.
Yeah, some of the comments coming from Crows fans in here have been a bit derp-heavy.

I thought Port fans were the ones that are supposed to be the feral bogans?

I was under the impression that the supporters and Kochy only wanted to lobby for Showdowns...yet...this is what appears on the Port page when you look at the discussion re: the prison bar guernsey, back in 2018:

"We the Port Adelaide Football Club believe it is our right to wear the Wharf Pylon (Prison Bar) design that served as our guernsey for 100 years (and a number of times in the AFL) as our main guernsey in the AFL.
We accept that there are obstacles to overcome, but we are dedicated to working with the AFL to find a solution to this problem and will resolutely and respectfully campaign for their reinstatement for the rest of our existence.
Until such time as this issue has been resolved, we shall continue to wear the Chevrons."

**************************************************************************************************

If that is the ultimate outcome, then isn't Collingwood as an organization, and Eddie (as biased, corrupt and pigheaded as he might be) right to be concerned that this isn't something that will be confined to just showdowns - if that were allowed to go ahead?

Seems to me that there has been a concerted effort to integrate the guernsey into more mainstream circulation, to the point now that you guys are petitioning to have it as your main guernsey in the AFL.

Doesn't that go outside any such 'heritage round' agreements, that a lot of this discussion emerged from? Also, doesn't it also highlight that the goalposts keep shifting, and that the eventual goal is the aforementioned?

If that's the case, it's a whole different discussion, given that they signed binding agreements upon entering the AFL to have teal, black, white and silver as their colours. If they're trying to ultimately shift the goalposts over an extended period of time, isn't the eventual goal here to eventually revert back to the prison bar guernsey - as is stated above?

Or have I got this wrong? Because like I said, that's actually an issue if it becomes their trademark across the season - rather than just 1 or 2 games localized in SA.

So you are taking a comment from a single supporter and conflating it with what the Port Adelaide Football Club has requested?

The fact is the club is quite firm on the only Showdown thing, much to the consternation of some supporters. There is no plan by the club to implement the Prison Bar guernsey as our permanent home guernsey. They are all in on the chevron as being our AFL guernsey for a long time to come.

There is a group of supporters, of which I am one, who are behind the #bringbackthebars campaign, and we have steadfastly maintained that our fight is for the right to wear the guernsey when we choose. We're only connected to the club by being supporters, we're not an official supporter group.

It's important here to not confuse this with what the club is asking for from the AFL. (As I'm sure you're aware, supporters can be quite unreasonable in their demands of their club.) The club is asking for the right to wear it in Showdowns only to celebrate our SA Football heritage. If it only ends up being our home showdown, then I'm certain that's what the club will accept.

Let’s see if the AFL will go through with it, if they do let’s go to the Supreme Court to deal with it.
The supreme court???... with what money?..

The power are 10 million dollars in debt and constantly needs the AFL to bail them out..

are you now suggesting they will take the hand that feeds them to court to fight a losing battle?.. there was an agreement. The court will simply uphold that agreement regardless of what vague arguments are put forward..

will they also expect the hand that feeds to pay for the court costs to allow port to take them to court!..

Just how unbeleivably entitled can this club get?..

maybe because no one has ever tried to wear the bulldogs colours for their own in an afl match?

Well this is awkward. Three time Hawthorn Premiership captain, Luke Hodge everybody.

1619657744561-png.1114019

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back