Expansion PNG wants in the NRL by 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

PNG might not be the most glamorous destination in the World, and there are many that believe that there are cannibal tribes that live deep in the forests. Many people would not want to go there.

Then again, how many people ever make plans to go to Adelaide? Why risk the chance that you could end up in a barrell?

Pretty fair comparison IMHO.

But how many of those players would cut in in the NRL?

Just for the record there is actually about 10 WAers playing in the NRL at the moment.

A few off the top of my head:
Matt Peterson (Gold Coast Titans)
Daniel Holdsworth (Bulldogs)
Bronx Goodwin (Raiders)
Bryson Goodwin (Sharks)

Can't remember anymore right now but thats the makings of a pretty decent backline just there. The Perth Reds should have a fair number of genuine sandgropers in the side if they make it back to the NRL.

I here Pakistan, Bangladesh ad India aren't the best place to live either doesn't stop our cricketers going there does it?

When was the last time the Aussie cricketers went to Pakistan anyway?

Certainly don't think they've been there this decade, or even this century for that matter!

I could go further with that, but I think you get the point! (ie Your point stinks!)

This thred is about the PNGRL wanted to be admitted into the NRL.
Did any of you AFL nuts actually read the quoted article?

Its not titled the 'NRL wants PNG by 2014'.

Its completley irrelevent to the AFL anyway. I expected this thread to be deleted by now.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/041108/sport1.htm

Aust minister backs RL bid
By ILYAGRIDNEFF
AUSTRALIA’S Pacific minister Duncan Kerr has backed calls for a Papua New Guinean club to enter into the NRL competition.
PNG Rugby Football League officials in Sydney this week are lobbying the NRL and its clubs along with meeting Australian Rugby League representatives to develop plans for a PNG club to compete in the 2014 season.
The NRL welcomed the ambitious proposal but said there was no immediate expansion strategy.
Kerr said talk of a PNG club in the NRL was a positive sign of new-found Australian-PNG relations.
“Sport brings people and nations together,” he said.
“I welcome these talks between the PNG Rugby League and the Australian NRL and look forward to hearing how they progress.
“Personally, I think it would be an exciting and positive step and it could only further strengthen the friendship between our two countries.”
Famed ABC Pacific correspondent Sean Dorney, who captained and played in the national PNG rugby league side after PNG’s Independence in 1975, said it was about time the NRL took PNG seriously.
“I’m surprised that PNG haven’t broken into the NRL when you consider how successful Marcus Bai went with the Melbourne Storm and his later career in England with Leeds and Bradford,” he said.
“There really is a wealth of untapped league talent in PNG,” he said.
During Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd’s recent PNG trip, he said one of the strongest links between the two countries was rugby league. – AAP

I have a better chance of scoring a threesome with John Howard and Alexander Downer than Papua New Guinea has of getting an NRL team. And I don't want to score a threesome with John Howard and Alexander Downer.

It must of been a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow day at the office for whoever wrote the initial article (I don't know who the author is as littleduck didn't bother posting a link)...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion PNG wants in the NRL by 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back