malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Can someone please explain to me how the AFL gets away with allowing clubs to retain the rights to uncontracted players? I mean if a player is NOT under contract, that is a club's failing and the player's future should not be in the hand's of that club.

Also, clubs can trade players that are under contract if they like. The player has nothing to say about it *unless* he has a no-trade clause in his contract.

Thoughts anyone?

ps: I'm an American who has lived in Oz for the last 12 years (Freo fan) and the trading actions of the AFL are a constant source of amusement for me!

malpaso said:
ps: I'm an American who has lived in Oz for the last 12 years (Freo fan) and the trading actions of the AFL are a constant source of amusement for me!

What a coincidence, the trading actions of the Fremantle Football Club are a constant source of amusement for the rest of the competition.

A contracted players contract is just put onto the books of another club when he is traded, unless their is a salary agreement between the two clubs.

Contracts officially run out on October 31st each year, so a player who is deemed uncontracted is still under contract until this date, they say he will be uncontracted as he can wait until the Pre Season Draft in December where he will be uncontracted.

And your point is?

Seriously, how does an uncontracted players future get to be decided by a club that has no legal right to do so?

I find it incredulous that the AFLPA havent jumped on this. I mean its a player's career.

malpaso said:
Also, clubs can trade players that are under contract if they like. The player has nothing to say about it *unless* he has a no-trade clause in his contract.

Clubs can attempt to trade a player under contract but the player is not oblidged to agree. Effectively every player in the AFL has a no-trade clause, or at least a trade-veto clause.

That last one was meant for The Brown Dog :)

Soooo, the AFL conveniently hold Trade Week before. Still a rort.

Why can players not be traded up until the start of the season? Just all seems strange to me compared to every other professional sporting body in the world.

malpaso said:
And your point is?

Seriously, how does an uncontracted players future get to be decided by a club that has no legal right to do so?

The point is that the trades happen in the first week of October. Contracts don't expire until October 31. At this moment in time, and during trade week, there are NO uncontracted players.

Weaver said:
Clubs can attempt to trade a player under contract but the player is not oblidged to agree. Effectively every player in the AFL has a no-trade clause, or at least a trade-veto clause.

Ahh, well that explains it but doesnt make sense. A player under contract is an asset to the club, that asset is tradable (unless there are no-trade clauses in effect)

IMHO, there is a salary cap so whats the fuss with having longer trading periods and player movement. None of this homesick player carp that goes on..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back