Welcome Pick 24- Welcome to the Bulldogs Charlie Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

All going well:

Naughton JUH Darcy Weightman Clarke - be amazing to see them gel and get consistency together for a very long time.
Now we just need our midfield to become a bunch of hard nuts who can hurt you with delivery. So we do not waste the most promising young forward line I have ever seen us have. Going to be exciting to watch once the MIDS and FWDS sort out their chemistry.

Episode 16 GIF by The Simpsons

Worried about this pick. Small, not too quick, not particularly agile. Reminds me of Patrick Rose or even a bit of Ben Cavarra.
Hope I'm wrong but don't see anything special or particularly outstanding about him.

Worried about this pick. Small, not too quick, not particularly agile. Reminds me of Patrick Rose or even a bit of Ben Cavarra.
Hope I'm wrong but don't see anything special or particularly outstanding about him.
Seems plenty quick enough to the eyeball, and gets to the right spots.

Cavarra was a mid who tried to make it as a small forward due to his size.
CC seems more like a kid with natural goal sense. I'd rate his chances of making it higher than Cavarra

Seems plenty quick enough to the eyeball, and gets to the right spots.

Cavarra was a mid who tried to make it as a small forward due to his size.
CC seems more like a kid with natural goal sense. I'd rate his chances of making it higher than Cavarra
I think he Also had a pretty high tackle average as well something our forward line desperately needs

Him and Cody are going to be a great small duo. Looks like he has lot's of energy which will help everyone get up and about

Disappointing if he is lacking in pace
Hope I am wrong and he does well

Disappointing if he is lacking in pace
Hope I am wrong and he does well
“A speedy and competitive forward, Clarke’s energy and athleticism on-field provide him with a real sense of X-factor.”

I'm not sure where the lack of pace comment comes from given it's listed as a strength in numerous reports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“A speedy and competitive forward, Clarke’s energy and athleticism on-field provide him with a real sense of X-factor.”

I'm not sure where the lack of pace comment comes from given it's listed as a strength in numerous reports.
When he was drafted, pace had a x next to it.

He looks super quick and agile in his videos tbh, didn’t finish in the top 10 of any categories in the draft combine so maybe that’s where it came from. May just not test well though, more importantly he looks to play with speed.

I don’t think Cody’s particularly quick over 20m either but it’s never been brought up as an issue because he’s always buzzing around at full speed chasing and harassing and I think that’s similar with Clarke from what I gather.

I think this kid plays 10-15 games next year to be honest, not sure what his tank is like? But if it’s reasonable and he has a good preseason would not surprise me at all to see him very early in the piece, there’s a spot with his name on it

He looks super quick and agile in his videos tbh, didn’t finish in the top 10 of any categories in the draft combine so maybe that’s where it came from. May just not test well though, more importantly he looks to play with speed.

I don’t think Cody’s particularly quick over 20m either but it’s never been brought up as an issue because he’s always buzzing around at full speed chasing and harassing and I think that’s similar with Clarke from what I gather.

I think this kid plays 10-15 games next year to be honest, not sure what his tank is like? But if it’s reasonable and he has a good preseason would not surprise me at all to see him very early in the piece, there’s a spot with his name on it
He's pretty fit from what can be gleaned from articles going around.

Cody may not be quick but is super agile. Don't see the same with young Charlie. He seems one paced and doesn't seem agile either.
Hopefully it's just videos not showing it off.
But I do have misgivings about this pick. Would've gone high risk, high reward in a George.

Cody may not be quick but is super agile. Don't see the same with young Charlie. He seems one paced and doesn't seem agile either.
But I do have misgivings about this pick. Would've gone high risk, high reward in a George.
Did you not watch the clubs highlight package?

Turns on a dime breaks the guys ankles for the 2nd goal and was running past blokes for fun up the middle of the ground in the highlight from Werribee.

He looks neither slow or rigid. Try keeping the glass even a quarter full sometimes

Did you not watch the clubs highlight package?

Turns on a dime breaks the guys ankles for the 2nd goal and was running past blokes for fun up the middle of the ground in the highlight from Werribee.

He looks neither slow or rigid. Try keeping the glass even a quarter full sometimes
Must you be such a dick when getting a point across?

Of course I watched the highlights. Turns on a dime is putting a whole jar of mayo on it to say the least.

I think for a small forward being quick of mind is more important than what your 20m results are.

Great small forwards like Milne and Farmer probably never tested to elite levels but they could read where a ball was going to be a split second quicker than everyone else.

Clarke looks to have a bit of that in his hilights, hopefully it translates to AFL level.

For mine it’s more the pressure aspect and opportunistic finishing that excites me about him - quick or not he puts up big tackle numbers in a similar way to West. I think with those two and Cody that part of the forward line should be much improved, and the fact that none of them are your standard pressure forwards who can’t finish or hit the scoreboard (like a McNeil for example) it’s going to be super exciting to have 3 guys who tackle and pressure but kick goals for fun at the feet of our obvious strength in tall forwards. Throw in JJ who’s not as defensively minded but has that raw pace and excellent finishing skills and it’s going to be a bloody fun forward line.

I can see the appeal in the high risk option in George but don’t really see a need for a medium forward - when we’re still going to have to find time for our resting mids in Bont, Treloar and Baz along with the rest of the forwards. No doubt he might end up the better player but for now it’s such an obvious need that he fills to a tee so I’m happy we’ve gone with a needs based draft here (even if we may claim it was actually best available) also the fact that we get so much ball inside 50 but can’t convert. I can’t complain with another guy who can make the most of those situations.

Will Clarke be a star? Probably not but if he avgs 30 goals a year and 3+ tackles a game he’s going to play a LOT of footy for us - with where the list builds at I can see the merit in going down that path. Next year we’ve got the potential to really address the midfield and whoever we get in will probably start forward anyway

Thanks for the info - good work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back