Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Kennedy was a sort of top 10 pick who led you that day. And you don't get him without a top 3 pick.
He was, yes. Good pick up. Only forgetting our greatest goalkicker from our biggest trade ever there. No biggie.

Tricky to say what Rowell could’ve been without injuries though
But not a cut above those others, really

You're not getting a significant advantage by tanking for Rowell given what we know about that list.

Compare Rowell to Ash, Serong, Young, Green and neither GWS or Freo are going to be disappointed.

I think that result locks us into Curtain.

As great as Reid would have been, we probably have a need for a key defender.

Not sure we will look to trade into Pick 1.

I’m thinking Curtain and Watson (if we get McKay compo) will be what we try and achieve. Sanders will be interesting if the AFL lets us match or gives us him as compensation.

He was, yes. Good pick up. Only forgetting our greatest goalkicker from our biggest trade ever there. No biggie.
I get not counting him though. You didn't draft him. Kinda like how I don't really think about David Hale as a top 10 pick. Because for my club he wasn't.

I get not counting him though. You didn't draft him. Kinda like how I don't really think about David Hale as a top 10 pick. Because for my club he wasn't.
If that's how we're looking at players, I wouldn't be counting Chris Masten!

The "bands" of this draft are going to make it interesting. Assuming North get pick 3, it puts Melbournes top pick into the 2nd "band". I've been big on WC trading the pick if they had it but you dont trade out of the top rung of players to do it. Also, I'm sure WC arent keen on a real cream player in Watson at this stage so you'd want to make sure that's not who you're getting. Means only Hawks or North would be in with any chance.

Hawks fans have been keen to get the GC pick using a future 1st. Wonder if Hawks are so happy with their list that they'd be prepared to really go all in on Reid.

Future 1st, 29 -> pick 5
4, 5, Brockman (worth pick in the 40s at best, WC can get for free if they really want) -> 1, 20

That pick 20 is going to be like at pick 26 by the time the pick is made. 4 and 5 give WC one of Duursma, McKercher and Curtin and a lot of options with what to do with 5.

It's a crazy price for Hawks but if they are happy with the list, Reid is probably worth the cost.

Last edited:
Only if it delivers us a top four pick.

Also Reid to West Coast media beat up is mostly that. I doubt we'd struggle to retain him.
I would think he is just what West Coast need to revitalise their midfield. Take him and back in the club to retain him.

It’s a bit like us with Curtin from a needs basis more a priority.

From a needs perspective both clubs get what they need most.

The "bands" of this draft are going to make it interesting. Assuming North get pick 3, it puts Melbournes top pick into the 2nd "band". I've been big on WC trading the pick if they had it but you dont trade out of the top rung of players to do it. Also, I'm sure WC arent keen on a real cream player in Watson at this stage so you'd want to make sure that's not who your getting. Means only Hawks or North would be in with any chance.

Hawks fans have been keen to get the GC pick using a future 1st. Wonder if Hawks are so happy with their list that they'd be prepared to really go all in on Reid.

Future 1st, 29 -> pick 5
4, 5, Brockman (worth pick in the 40s at best, WC can get for free if they really want) -> 1, 20

That pick 20 is going to be like at pick 26 by the time the pick is made. 4 and 5 give WC one of Duursma, McKercher and Curtin and a lot of options with what to do with 5.

It's a crazy price for Hawks but if they are happy with the list, Reid is probably worth the cost.
I would prefer 4 and 5 over 1. Duursma and mckercher sounds just wonderful.

I would prefer 4 and 5 over 1. Duursma and mckercher sounds just wonderful.
I think it's likely one of them and Watson but thats fair. I wonder now having faced the idea of not getting pick 1, if my WC mates would do that trade. I reckon they also wouldnt do it going on the history in here

I think it's likely one of them and Watson but it's fair. I wonder now having faced the idea of not getting pick 1, if my WC mates would do that trade. I reckon they also wouldnt do it going on the history in here
I accept that. But Hawthorn has problems. Lots of problems. We don't just need 1 player. I really wish there was a key forward option at pick 4. I would even be open to trading down to a more appropriate pick for Archer Reid or someone.

In saying that though, our midfield excited me in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what is this deal?

Freo’s 1st - so what’s that once all the GC and NM has been undertaken? 8? 10?

And Melbourne’s 1st? (18-24 range?)

So potentially around 9 and 22 for 1?

What else are we getting.
I think you've gotta stop saying the pick number after the academy picks etc. They were never in the open pool anyway.

It's pick 5 + pick 16 (if we finish 3rd) and a F1 with a pick coming back from you guys around the 30 range.

I would think he is just what West Coast need to revitalise their midfield. Take him and back in the club to retain him.

It’s a bit like us with Curtin from a needs basis more a priority.

From a needs perspective both clubs get what they need most.
I agree. If West Coast doesn't land a pick that gets us McKercher then a downgrade makes no sense.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I think you've gotta stop saying the pick number after the academy picks etc. They were never in the open pool anyway.

It's pick 5 + pick 16 (if we finish 3rd) and a F1 with a pick coming back from you guys around the 30 range.

West Coast wont do that trade, if I was the Eagles I would ask for Pick 5 and Rivers.

But there is no way the club will trade him (or I will burn the place down).

West Coast wont do that trade, if I was the Eagles I would ask for Pick 5 and Rivers.

I felt that way when my club dealt Burton out. And when they gave away Hill (that wasn't so bad though because he wanted home).

Particularly when you received Wingard in return.
I really liked Chad and thought he would be amazing. But I didn't support the strategy of topping up after it was really clear we were done. We wasted 5 years.

None of that is Chad's fault though. Put him in a better team and you would have seen fire.

yeah exactly. but we wouldn't offer up Rivers. Rivers could come 3rd in our BnF. We may offer 3 firsts. 1 early one and 2 later ones. if not, no biggie at all.

Absolutely not. My argument is that it was a multi year strategy to minimise wins using all methods available, and cannot be assessed based on any individual game. It is rather like the people who say global warming isn't real because there was a cold day in January one time.

But I still can't deny you guys did a better job than we did today.
Please stop. Climate change, multiple years of engineering losses, minimising wins you give North too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back