Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not fooling anyone after the sheer avalanche of copium you've been posting over the last week.

You're thrilled to be back in 18th for the time being and we all know it šŸ˜†
Nah, not really.

I hate the feeling of knowing that losing could ultimately be better for the team.

Would rather just be ignorant and cheer for a win, tbh.

Can you now stop with all the tanking crap?

If we were tanking today was the worst effort at tanking I have ever seen.

We havenā€™t been good enough to win all year.
Absolutely not. My argument is that it was a multi year strategy to minimise wins using all methods available, and cannot be assessed based on any individual game. It is rather like the people who say global warming isn't real because there was a cold day in January one time.

But I still can't deny you guys did a better job than we did today.

If I were West Coast I am definitely trading pick 1. Not only is Reid too much of a risk but West Coast are in a position right now where they need numbers. If they can turn pick 1 into 2 top 10 picks or 3 first rounders it would be ideal.

West Coast would be much better suited getting 3 B grade players than 1 A+ player.

Absolutely not. My argument is that it was a multi year strategy to minimise wins using all methods available, and cannot be assessed based on any individual game. It is rather like the people who say global warming isn't real because there was a cold day in January one time.

But I still can't deny you guys did a better job than we did today.
Mate I think you are barking up the wrong tree and donā€™t quite understand the concept of tanking.

Bottoming out and rebuilding is not tanking.

If I were West Coast I am definitely trading pick 1. Not only is Reid too much of a risk but West Coast are in a position right now where they need numbers. If they can turn pick 1 into 2 top 10 picks or 3 first rounders it would be ideal.

West Coast would be much better suited getting 3 B grade players than 1 A+ player.
Agree tbh.

Do the trade with the Demons.

Mate I think you are barking up the wrong tree and donā€™t quite understand the concept of tanking.

Bottoming out and rebuilding is not tanking.
Rebuilding but searching for wins is different to rebuilding whilst trying to generate draft picks/priority picks. The latter is what I call tanking.

Normally I would use hawthorn vs North melbourne as a comparison of these different strategies, but today seems like a very, very bad day for that argument.

Rebuilding but searching for wins is different to rebuilding whilst trying to generate draft picks/priority picks. The latter is what I call tanking.

Normally I would use hawthorn vs North melbourne as a comparison of these different strategies, but today seems like a very, very bad day for that argument.
North have been searching for wins all year and havenā€™t been good enough to win.

I think today shows the mindset was never about losing. If we were truly tanking today is a disastrous result for the club.

North have been searching for wins all year and havenā€™t been good enough to win.

I think today shows the mindset was never about losing. If we were truly tanking today is a disastrous result for the club.
I don't think you can use one game to prove anything about a whole season, or three seasons or four.

(Unless it is a grand final of course!)

For mine it completely depends on what picks come back as the draft drops off pretty quickly after the top 10.

If WC could trade out pick 1 and get two of Curtin, Duursma, McKercher, Sanders, O'Sullivan, then it might be worth doinf!

But trading out pick 1 for pick 3, 10 and 18....no thanks!!

We won't trade up for 1 IMHO.

Reid is great and if we had pick 1 we would take him, but he's not technically a position of hard "need" for us.

We will probably take Curtin (KPD) and Watson (small forward/X factor type) with picks 2 and 3 and sit pretty.

Getting Ryley Sanders is all the midfield help we need from the pointy end of the draft.
Reid would have been great but Curtain a much bigger need.

If we are lucky enough to get band 1 and Sanders it a great draft hand. 3 top 10 players and 4 in the top 16ish.

Big decisions for West Coast now.

Do you trade out the No.1 pick, knowing that you most likely wonā€™t get the WA boy in Curtain, take Curtain at 1 or take Reid at 1?

They wonā€™t lose in any of those scenarios, but maybe they were happy to have the decision made for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If tanking was the objective, we are bloody shithouse at it.
Unknown. Let's see just how many freebies you get over the next few years. So far it has given quite a few top 5 picks and 2 low priority picks, but you aren't close to done yet.

Big decisions for West Coast now.

Do you trade out the No.1 pick, knowing that you most likely wonā€™t get the WA boy in Curtain, take Curtain at 1 or take Reid at 1?

They wonā€™t lose in any of those scenarios, but maybe they were happy to have the decision made for them?

This past week there's been a bunchhhh of people in AFL media saying things like "Harley Reid is probably relieved, it's pretty well known he wants to stay in Victoria".

Wonder how WCE recruiters felt hearing that.

Unknown. Let's see just how many freebies you get over the next few years. So far it has given quite a few top 5 picks and 2 low priority picks, but you aren't close to done yet.

Uh, pardon campaigner?

Pray-tell what "top 5 picks" we got as "freebies"?!

But what does that have to do with tanking?

Just because we have chosen to not accept mid table mediocrity and gone the full rebuild, it doesnā€™t mean we were tanking.

If tanking was the objective it was a funny way of doing it by winning a dead rubber.

What are the chances someone makes an immediate bid for Reid at the top of the draft....

OR

No offer is made AND

West Coast and North both pass up on Reid and drops to Hawthorn. Surely someone puts in offers by this point.

Does this give North a better chance of band 1 compo or the NGA concession?

I think it does.

In exchange for pick 1 WCE could take pick 2 from North plus another first rounder and get Curtin plus an extra.

North get Reid.

I reckon this is a more likely scenario than say the Dees coughing up picks 4 & 5 (if they can get it) for pick 1.

Thankfully you're not West Coast.
Although I wouldn't put it past us doing something as idiotic as you suggested.

Thankfully you're not West Coast.
Although I wouldn't put it past us doing something as idiotic as you suggested.
I donā€™t think itā€™s so silly.

You guys will have another crack at a high pick next year (and possibly the next year too) and when youā€™re rebuilding you want as many top end picks as possible in a band of about 4 years apart.

Removes a small go-home risk as well.

But what does that have to do with tanking?

Just because we have chosen to not accept mid table mediocrity and gone the full rebuild, it doesnā€™t mean we were tanking.

If tanking was the objective it was a funny way of doing it by winning a dead rubber.
My club isn't mid table mediocrity and isn't just giving up a whole season. (Today notwithstanding)

Does this give North a better chance of band 1 compo or the NGA concession?

I think it does.

In exchange for pick 1 WCE could take pick 2 from North plus another first rounder and get Curtin plus an extra.

North get Reid.

I reckon this is a more likely scenario than say the Dees coughing up picks 4 & 5 (if they can get it) for pick 1.
I suggested this ages ago and got laughed at!!

Honestly think it's a very AFL thing to do....

Only give NM Sanders and band 1 for McKay IF they trade 2 and 3 for 1.

Means the AFL can give the two bottom teams 2 each top 5 talent (open draft available) without giving any priority picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back