Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #3 - Kris Massie

Fabulous article about our Mr Nice Guy

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22845674-21543,00.html

Daniel's lesson for Massie
0,,5775772,00.jpg

ANDREW CAPEL
November 30, 2007 01:15am
KRIS Massie will never whinge about being injured again.

If he rips an ankle ligament, if he does a knee, the early pain and disappointment will for the first time be replaced by the thought that it's not such a big deal.

"I used to get down if I was injured and wasn't playing – that won't happen anymore," the 119-game Crows defender said.

It is because Massie has a new appreciation of what real pain is.

He has seen it first-hand and watched how its victims laugh in its very face.

"They have nothing – materially anyway – but they don't whinge, they don't whine, they get on with it and they make the most of what they have. And, remarkably, they do it with a smile," he said.

Massie is talking about his jaw-dropping trip to Africa with World Vision earlier this month, where his eyes were opened to a new, devastating but enriching world.

Put simply, Massie has returned to Crowland from Zululand with a completely different perspective on life.

"Nothing will ever be quite the same for me again," the easy-going 27-year-old said of his 10-day African adventure.

"Things that used to get me down, they won't anymore. I'm trying to live and behave differently now."

Already one of Adelaide's Mr Nice Guys, Massie's change in mindset comes after spending six days in South Africa and four in Mozambique as part of a World Vision/AFL expedition.

The only SA-based player to take up the offer of spreading the AFL message while helping those less fortunate than themselves, Massie was joined by Essendon's Jason Johnson and Nathan Lovett-Murray, ex-Bomber Mark Bolton and World Vision representatives.

Massie, who has long had an affinity with South Africa – "I've loved their music and culture ever since I saw the film Power of One ," he said – has sponsored an African child in Mozambique, Daniel Mbendzane, for seven years.

He thought this was an opportunity to meet the boy whose photo he has pinned inside his No. 3 locker at West Lakes.

But what Massie was confronted with in Africa blew him away.

"There were big, single-parent families living on as little as $1 a day," he said.

"It wasn't unusual to see a mother looking after five-to-10 kids on just a single dollar, so for them life was just about survival.

"Their huts are made of cow-dung and clay, children would sleep on the ground and there would be three sharing one small bed.

"And sometimes they would live a kilometre from their nearest neighbour and have to make the journey just to beg for food.

"It is desperate times and hard to fathom for a westerner to see what these families have to go through. It just blew me away."

While an amazing experience, this was the downside of Massie's trip. At times he struggled to cope with what he was witnessing.

A few days later he was on top of the world.

Meeting Daniel, now 14, and his family in a small village near Xai Xai in Mozambique ranks among his greatest moments, he said.

"I went into the meeting, while expecting a completely different culture because of what I'd already witnessed in South Africa, with a real open mind," Massie said.

"And I couldn't believe it when I was introduced to him – he was decked out in a communal suit and I was underdressed in a casual green shirt and shorts," he joked.

An awestruck Massie, who was asked to sit opposite Daniel and his mum, who is battling health problems, while they said hello and communicated via an interpreter, was surrounded by well-wishers in the 30-strong village.

"The whole village started singing and dancing and when they finished they filed through one by one to greet me," he said.

Then Massie had his long-awaited hug with Daniel, who suddenly seemed a lot more real.

' Massie how to live

"It was amazing to meet him after so many years and see him looking pretty fit and well," he said.

Gifts were exchanged with Massie handing over Crows guernseys to Daniel and his mum as well as other Adelaide footballs and toys and being given dishes, eating utensils and hand-woven baskets in return.

Then it was feast time.

"Daniel's mum went for a walk and came back with some tree branches," Massie recalled.

"She snapped the roots off, peeled them back and gave me some to eat, so I had a crack at it. It was very bland, a bit like stale coconut, but I did the right thing."

This was followed by goat's stew, rice and maize.

Massie, who took a laptop computer with him to show the village highlights of Crows games, choked up when talking about his experience. "His mother's got some personal issues, which I won't mention out of respect to Daniel, but she's quite sick," he said.

"She is very grateful to me for helping Daniel and happy in the knowledge that he will be taken care of (financially).

"That meant a lot, but to be honest they've given me more than I can ever give them."

That is an understanding of what's important in life.

"The main thing I've taken from this trip, apart from meeting Daniel, is that while these people are materially-barren they are culturally and spiritually so rich," Massie said.

"In a well-off country like Australia we've got major issues with depression and anxiety and suicide rates are high and yet in parts of Africa people are just battling for survival and have few or no possessions and yet they seem happy.

"Our countries are only separated by kilometres and water and yet the mentality is so different.

"They are always smiling and they dance and sing at the drop of a hat. They don't need 10 Coronas (beers) to express themselves and are so full of life it absolutely captivated me.

"I just learned what's important and while I will always take my football seriously and never take it for granted, life is certainly different for me now."

:thumbsu:While far from being the worst player he's not the greatest player either.

However when it comes to being a great guy, he's one of the very best.

:thumbsu:While far from being the worst player he's not the greatest player either.

However when it comes to being a great guy, he's one of the very best.

He's underated BIG time IMO. He was absolutely on fire near the end of the 2006 season. He looked set to continue that in 2007 but was unluckily injured at the start of the year so he fell down the pecking order. He's always had ability. Was a top 10 draft pick... if he gets a good run I have no doubt he will be a quality contributer in 2008. At the end of 2006 he got an extended period in the team and he was awwsome.

Massie is one of the nicest guys at the club, however, he may struggle to get game time in 2008, NC seems determine to start building now for premiership success, Massie may become a victim of that strategy

The last man standing from the D Gallagher/Eccles for Nelson/Massie trade with Carlton, a lose/lose/lose/win deal that was marginally better than the infamous Downsborough for Chalmers lose/lose trade with Port.

A useful fill-in player, and a well rounded nice guy but I suspect we won't notice when he's gone.

Is it just me or do we always look a better side with Kris Massie somewhere in defence?

His mark and smother today were sensational stuff:thumbsu:

Is it just me or do we always look a better side with Kris Massie somewhere in defence?

It's not just you, he should be there every week. He can take a variety of players, has courage and gives run.

Apart from elimination finals, yes!
I'm a massive fan. It's a real shame all he's known for outside of Adelaide is that Franklin game, because he's been brilliant for us over the last few years.

He is a super player and will hang on very tightly to his spot now that he has got it. A bit of mature hardness that we need. The Mark in the third quarter was tremendous.

he was a third round pick by carlton ?

No he was a first round, Carlton took him at pick 7 in the 1997 draft, before Tarrant, C. Cornes, O'Bree and Saddington. Needless to say, we payed a lot less for him than Carlton did, has been a servicable player over the past couple of years, except when he's played on Franklin and Riewoldt, but thats not his fault.

another one of neil craigs success stories. went from a dud on the outer, to a solid AFL footballer. ala rutten, stevens, mattner, bock, etc, etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our old backline was a breeding ground for coaches it seems :eek:

The Craig era, just like the Oatey era, bred quite a few coaches - Massie, Bassett, Bickley, Goodwin, Hart, Burton. Whatever Oatey did to encourage the passion for coaching in his players must have been passed on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back