Opinion Our forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can our forward line be the weapon to get us to the 8 and go deep in the finals. No other team has 3 potential A grade tall forwards. The blues have 2 and maybe the best Curnow and Mckay in the debate for second best. We have 3 Naughton A this season and JUH and Sam the ability to be A graders. Ok JUH needs to click but could be any game and Sam will be better in years to come. Add Cody and Rylee plus the resting on baller and it is really a very talented lot. Maybe only missing a speedy jet like a Bobby Hill.

With an inform midfield and an improved backline we have the weapons to put the fear in any team. The question is can we play to our potential consistently. We are about to find out with 8 games to go.

Last edited:

I think we do need to consider age btw.

McKay and Curnow are 27 and 26.

Jamarra is 22, Naughton is 24, Sam Darcy is 20 and Weightman is 23.
Well said. It’s taken the Carlton pair plenty of time to be consistent.
In saying that Marra needs to fitter. His professionalism on and off field must improve if he wants to fulfill his potential.

our forward line is not a personnel issue it’s a system issue

Naughton Darcy JUH and Cody is the envy of the league
Came here to say this.

Our forward line gets plenty of service but would have to be one if the most inefficient in the comp. We need 50 inside 50’s for 10 scoring shots.

The question to ask is it service and quality of entry or within the 50 i.e. leading patterns and cohesion? Or both. We could be a seriously potent side if we can get it right.

our forward line is not a personnel issue it’s a system issue

Naughton Darcy JUH and Cody is the envy of the league
West is highly offended by this….

Kid is a jet. Not even a real forward and has kicked more goals (17) than a lot of the better known forwards in the league.

The problem is that you don't need 3 talls. In fact your better off with 2 talls and a bunch of gut runners around them.

Cody plays as a lead up forward anyway. 3 talls just get in each other way. Yet it tough with our team so they are going to have to try to make it work. If it does work JUH needs to improve his fitness and second efforts.

Look at Collingwood last year, won a premiership with hardly any impact from a tall up forward. Just a contribution from Mihocek and a bunch of frenetic small forwards (seems familiar of 2016)

West is highly offended by this….

Kid is a jet. Not even a real forward and has kicked more goals (17) than a lot of the better known forwards in the league.

Agree

a bad mistake on my behalf

The problem is that you don't need 3 talls. In fact your better off with 2 talls and a bunch of gut runners around them.

Cody plays as a lead up forward anyway. 3 talls just get in each other way. Yet it tough with our team so they are going to have to try to make it work. If it does work JUH needs to improve his fitness and second efforts.

Look at Collingwood last year, won a premiership with hardly any impact from a tall up forward. Just a contribution from Mihocek and a bunch of frenetic small forwards (seems familiar of 2016)
I agree with this, our best game of the year we smashed Freo ( one of the best defensive teams ) with only 2 talls Murra and Lobb somehow our forward line functioned better.
Our mids kicked more goals instead of looking to pass it off and having an extra pressure running small forward made it harder for the opposition to exit our forward line easily.

They play well when it's only 2 talls on the forward line

any system they have falls apart when you have JUH, Lobb, Astro & Darcy all cramping the F50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came here to say this.

Our forward line gets plenty of service but would have to be one if the most inefficient in the comp. We need 50 inside 50’s for 10 scoring shots.

The question to ask is it service and quality of entry or within the 50 i.e. leading patterns and cohesion? Or both. We could be a seriously potent side if we can get it right.

It might feel like it, but the stats don't support the idea that we need more inside 50s to score than other teams. We've had 837 inside 50s this season, for 382 scores. We're 5th for inside 50s and 4th for number of scores. We're 6th for goals per inside 50 and 6th for scores per inside 50. (We're also 8th for accuracy.)

To put these numbers in some context, we've scored on just under 46% of our inside 50s, where the top and bottom sides on this metric are Sydney (who've scored on just over 49% of inside 50s) and Richmond (who've scored on just under 40% of them).

What has JUH ever done wrong off the field?
He hasn’t broken any laws. Just what’s been said about his professionalism off field. Late nights and that type of stuff. Was mentioned early in his career and also. A little recently. Probably worded it a bit wrong but he can celebrate go to greater levels. Only young so hopefully he learns.

If we make finals I believe the combo of Darcy, JUH and Astro are best suited at the G with its wider spaces. They all can have changing roles at times with the main structure Astro higher half forward, JUH leading from the square and Darcy using his height for the high ball.

They have the ability to light up G in September. I know we are coming from a fair way back but we are capable if we can put it together. The game that swung me was our loss to the swans by 14 points losing 3 players (keys Red and Astro) during the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back