Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how it says "stronger together" on their T shirts, sounds like a slogan for a support group or a drug rehabilitation centre.

Going together like;

images

Brisbane were very ordinary too. Horrible at times. A shadow of the team we beat in the GF.

Their coach looks tired too. Next week will likely see their demise.

I'm not so certain about that.

I watched the first half and I thought Lions defense was very good. They wasted a couple of goals and should have been up by another 10 points or possible more. They intercepted well and stopped Carlton forwards from going. It took a rare mistake for Cripps to kick their first.

I went to bed at the half time period and thought that Lions blitz in the first would probably mean they would let their foot off the pedal in the second to preserve their bodies next week. And it seems they did.

But in short, Lions first half defense was clinical.

I'm not so certain about that.

I watched the first half and I thought Lions defense was very good. They wasted a couple of goals and should have been up by another 10 points or possible more. They intercepted well and stopped Carlton forwards from going. It took a rare mistake for Cripps to kick their first.

I went to bed at the half time period and thought that Lions blitz in the first would probably mean they would let their foot off the pedal in the second to preserve their bodies next week. And it seems they did.

But in short, Lions first half defense was clinical.
Lions played witches hats for most of that game.

I was watching the GWS/Sydney game and every time I see Lachie Keefe I think: my God mate, have you been sneaking in at night snd secretly altering the club's records of how old you are? Remember how long ago that drug scandal was? And he's playing finals for one of the best 2 or 3 teams in it? This has Jesus resurrection qualities to it!

Also, he actually played pretty well. [Hello to all those back in the day who wrote him off as a useless list clogger! Hello you silly, silly, people! But hey, even I didn't think he could walk on football water like this.]

Yep, came into the AFL in the same off season as Steele Sidebottom. He’s managed 115 AFL games in the same time as Steele has clocked up 331.

ps. I crossed paths with him earlier today down at the beach. It was an unremarkable encounter.

Yep, came into the AFL in the same off season as Steele Sidebottom. He’s managed 115 AFL games in the same time as Steele has clocked up 331.

ps. I crossed paths with him earlier today down at the beach. It was an unremarkable encounter.
Did he have his top off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could be the 2024 frampton/Fitzpatrick type premiership player...would be an amazing story

I liked him at the pies was a Shame we got rid of him would of been handy over the years

Last edited:
I was watching the GWS/Sydney game and every time I see Lachie Keefe I think: my God mate, have you been sneaking in at night snd secretly altering the club's records of how old you are? Remember how long ago that drug scandal was? And he's playing finals for one of the best 2 or 3 teams in it? This has Jesus resurrection qualities to it!

Also, he actually played pretty well. [Hello to all those back in the day who wrote him off as a useless list clogger! Hello you silly, silly, people! But hey, even I didn't think he could walk on football water like this.]

What people seem to forget is, how good he became in our defense under Bucks before he did his knee. He literally held it together.

Poor Bucks had a horrid run with injuries for a few years there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a pack of bandwagoners from both sides.
Nah. Hawks v Dogs was the only Melbourne final this weekend or next.

There was probably 30,000 'neutrals' in the MCC members and AFL members.
The next chance for them is the Geelong's Preliminary Final vs Giants or Lions

MCG finals always attracts a huge portion of neutrals. Somebody posted a photo of the Daicos family at the game sitting in the fancy seats on level 2. Some people just like watching finals footy. They don't care if it's their team playing or not.

Hawthorn bottomed out more or less for 6 years. They reap the benefit of selling players with currency and loyalty is not a factor as such. They used their draft picks well, recruited incredibly well, were able to manipulate the system to get Newcombe (? Spelling) after which the AFL as I understand it have closed the loophole and have astutely picked up players from other clubs.
I can’t stand them. Grubs in my humble opinion.
Bottomed out? WTF?? Apart from last year, the only time Hawthorn finished in the bottom four was in the COVID year of 2020 when the AFL completely shafted them with the most horrendous fixture given to any of the clubs. That season, the Hawks were playing most of their games on 3, 4 or 5 days rests versus the AFL's favoured finals-bound teams who had 10, 11 12 days rest. The Hawks (and a furious Alastair Clarkson) were basically told to quit their whinging and to shut up. :rolleyesv1:

The Hawks did the complete opposite of tanking during their 5 crappy years. They actually made a habit of playing out the season and winning their final games and lifting themselves out of the bottom four (2019 and 2021), while all the cheating teams like Sydney and Gold Coast put the cue in the rack and finished as low as they could.

The best draft pick Hawthorn got in recent years was pick 5 in 2023 (which they used to select Nick Watson)

There was no manipulation or shifty "loophole" with Jai Newcombe. He was a mid-season draft pick. He had been overlooked in the 2020 draft because COVID had wiped out the season for the Under 18's. What we lost by selecting Grainger-Barrass with pick 6, we gained by selecting Newk in the 2021 MSD.

Hawks
2018 - finished 4th... 15 wins, 7 losses
2019 - finished 9th... 11 wins, 11 losses................ pick 13: Will Day [star]
2020 - finished 15th.. 5 wins, 12 losses................ pick 6: Denver Grainger-Barrass [bust]
2021 - finished 14th... 7 wins, 13 losses, 2 draws... pick 7: Josh Ward [ordinary]
2022 - finished 13th... 8 wins, 14 losses................ pick 7: Cam MacKenzie [ordinary]
2023 - finished 16th.. 7 wins, 16 losses................ pick 5: Nick Watson [could be a star]
2024 - finished 7th... 14 wins, 9 losses

We never sold any of our players for much "currency". Collingwood got Tom Mitchell for peanuts and helped you win a flag.
We moved him on to clear space for Newcombe, Day and Worpel to develop as midfielders.

Tom Mitchell wasn't being a team-player during our rebuild. Fair enough, I suppose. Except he wasn't seeing eye-eye with the new coaches, nor doing as he was told in regard to rotations, bench time and centre square set-ups. He was basically running his own race on match days, so it was deemed best for him and Hawthorn to part company.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back