Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just listening to a podcast on the way to work, and Liam was happy to take his swag and sleep on someone's floor if it meant he could run at the Olympics.
Inside Running?

it looks like only 5 of the athletes that got booted for universality placements have been reinstated.
don’t know how they got to that number but I’m just happy Liam is going.

Inside Running?

it looks like only 5 of the athletes that got booted for universality placements have been reinstated.

I assumed not all of the athletes ranked in the 70 - 80 range would have been eligible due to the 3 runners per country maximum?

This should be the list of runners:

Inside Running?

Haha yep, good fun podcast that one.

It's great that he is now going and officially part of the team. It's great to see.

US track and field trials start 10am Friday Eugene Oregon time = 3am AEST, but evening session starts around 6pm local time = 11am AEST.

Some website to keep an eye on results.

https://www.usatf.org/events/2024/2024-u-s-olympic-team-trials-—-track-field click on results takes you to;

The twitter has tag is #TrackFieldTrials24 which was trending a couple of hours ago. Some twitter pages that should have vision.

USA Track and Field

NBC Olympics

NBC Sports

Team USA - US Olympic Committee

Track Town USA

Lots of good results from our athletes overnight.

• Michelle Jenneke & Liz Clay ran their 2nd-fastest times ever in the 100m Hurdles
  • Jess Hull came down in distance and cracked the 2-minute barrier in the 800m (a 3 second PB)
  • Good times by a bunch of sprinters in Italy & Geneva
  • Tori West well placed at the Ratingen multi-events
  • Peyton Craig wins in Vienna setting a new U20 National Record (1-44.12) in Vienna
  • Bendere Oboya wins the women's 800 in a PB of 1-58.56 throwing a spanner in the works for Olympic selection with only one spot left. Her training partner Claudia Hollingsworth who has already been selected was third in 2-00.02

Whew! Hard to keep up with so much going on in this last week of Olympic qualifying.

Huge drama around lunchtime Oz time in Women's 800m at US trials on day 4 with defending Olympic champion and 2022 world champ Athing Mu, fell after bumping into an opponent after 200m and missed qualification.

And for those who ask, is that an Aussie commentator - Yes its Leigh Diffey who used call motorsport for Ch 10 mainly V8's/Super car stuff in the 90's and '00's, went to Britain then USA in early '00's used to make return visits to Oz until about 2012 to do motor sport, but his schedule is so full with Indy Cars and Nascars for NBC he is permanently based there and called athletics for NBC at the Tokyo games and will do so again at Paris,

Late May he was on SEN breakfast. Near the end he said he has a lot of family in Victoria, he grew up in Brisbane, played footy at school in Brisbane and wanted to call footy, but his career went elsewhere. Its a good listen

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sad for Mu but it was her fault. I feel worse for Sage Hurta-Kelcker. She was a real top 3 chance and was the one most affected by the fall.

Mens 1500 was great. Hocker and Nuguse both ran 3:30 but it’s gonna take at least 3:29 to medal in Paris and they’ll have to do it off the back 2 tough heats. this event is crazy deep.

AUS has it's own Mu in Bendere Oboya. Another 400m talent who moved up but hardly has any nous in judging a race and staying out of trouble. One of the reasons I think our experienced national record-holder Trina Bisset should get our last Paris spot in the 800.

So much talent in US/UK/AUS (and some other) M1500 fields this year. One of the must-watch Olympic events this year for sure.

I remember hearing Diffey call the 2020 (well 2021) US trials and thinking 'that's an Aussie voice - who is he? never heard him before' - but he seemed pretty good compared to American callers I'd heard before.

The Yank fans complained about 'that Aussie' though - maybe he wasn't as US-parochial as they were used to.

For someone that never called an athletics meet in Australia before he went O/S, I think he's done a great job. Well-researched. Good calls. Talks knowledgeably about athletes who aren't just American.

If he wanted to come back downunder, I for one would be voting for him as THE replacement for our legendary Bruce.

Not much chance though - I imagine he is earning mega-bucks up there.

Been a bit slack with some of US trials posts.

I thought they went 10 days straight like at Paris, but US TV demanded that the go from Friday 21st June to Monday 24th ie 4 days and then come back from Thurday 27th to Sunday 30th another 4 days, to maximise TV ratings.

Despite this break, USA Track and Field schedule of events is the same as Paris, like the US swimming trials with the only divergence there was that they didn't have relay events.

Rather than use the NBC tweets, I'm using French guy Mr.Carter as he puts times/distance of top 3 and the Olympic qualifying time/distance in his posts.

Women's 100m on Day 2 Sha'Cari too good.

Men's 100m on Day 3 - Leigh Diffey a bit like a lot of callers in Tokyo 1991 when they didn't even mention Carl Lewis until after he crossed the line. Reckon he mentions Lyles right on the line.

Day 3 Pole Vault - after Duplantis its a very open field for minor medals.

This was an amazing HEAT run by Grant Holloway on the morning of Day 4.

His 12.92 was faster than his silver medal performance in Tokyo, 13.09 winner was 13.04, also his win at 2022 world champs on the same track at Eugene 13.03, and also at 2023 world champs in Budapest when he won in 12.96. Leading time for 2023-34 qualifying period.

The semis and final are a couple of hours apart on Day 5 which is Thursday night US time.

No Sydney McLaughlin in the 400m flat in Paris. I don't think she will even run the hurdles as he knee injury is still causing issues for her. Looked around for the hurdles start list but didn't find anything.

But this was a tight race on Day 3 of US trials.

Women's 5000m Final on night of Day 4 was a cracker of a finish.

Shades of the 10,000m finish between Haile Gebrselassie and Paul Tergat in Sydney 2000 on 25th September - 9 finals, Freeman won and Michael Johnson's 400m win was like the race after the Melbourne Cup, nobody really cared. Luckily the 10,000m finish was about 90 minutes after Freeman's win and the crowd had settled down to watch the great race. Greatest night of sports I've attended and equal to 4 years to the day when my team finally won the AFL flag during the day.

That 10,000m in Sydney the margin was 0.09 sec and the 100m margin was 0.12. Here Elle St Perrie beats Elise Craney by 0.02. A 14.40 is a quick time for a final - well when there are no Ethiopian's in it.

Last edited:
A little bit different but this might be a bit of a preview of the type of opening ceremony we might get in Paris.

Vogue meets sports. Very French. Those who know Paris will know the venue - Place Vendome.

Once again thanks to Frenchman Mr.Carter.

Marie-Jose Perec got a gig and she will get a big part in the opening ceremony I reckon. There are only 3 other French Summer Olympians who have won 3 individual events gold medals, as well as the great Jean-Clause Killey won 3 individual skiing golds and biathlon skier/shooter has won 4.

Snoop Dog went to a couple days of US trials.

Some people will remember he and Kevin Hart did a late night Olympics show for Tokyo, on one of NBC's cable stations, in the USA rather than Tokyo because of Covid, very much in the style of Roy and HG's The Dream at the Sydney Olympics then Salt Lake City and Athens.

Only took NBC 2 decades to cotton onto the idea. Don't know if Snoop Dog and Kevin will be in Paris or stay in the USA.

They are both going to Paris but doing different shows for NBC and their Peacock cable station.

What will Snoop Dogg do in Paris during the 2024 Olympics?

Starting July 26, on NBC and Peacock, Snoop will "explore the city’s iconic landmarks, attend Olympic competitions and events, and visit with the athletes, their friends, and families," according to a press release.
“I grew up watching the Olympics and am thrilled to see the incredible athletes bring their A-game to Paris. It’s a celebration of skill, dedication, and the pursuit of greatness,” said Snoop Dogg. “We’re going to have some amazing competitions and, of course, I will be bringing that Snoop style to the mix. It’s going to be the most epic Olympics ever, so stay tuned, and keep it locked. Let’s elevate, celebrate, and make these games unforgettable, smoke the competition, and may the best shine like gold. Peace and Olympic LOVE, ya dig?” Molly Solomon, Executive Producer and President, NBC Olympics Production, noted in the release that Snoop Dogg clinched the role after becoming a fan-favorite during the Tokyo Olympics, when he and Kevin Hart commentated on the highlights for Peacock. "We don’t know what the heck is going to happen every day, but we know he will add his unique perspective to our re-imagined Olympic primetime show," she shared.

Kevin Hart and Kenan Thompson are set to bring the laughs this summer.

The comedians will host the new Peacock series Olympic Highlights with Kevin Hart and Kenan Thompson, which will offer a timely look at the biggest and most memorable moments from the 2024 Paris Games. From swimming to boxing, the duo will chime in with their unique and hilarious commentary on it all.

"We can’t wait to be a part of the Paris Olympics and help hype up the audience with highlights from the best moments of the Games. We’re going for gold, everybody!" said Hart, an executive producer on the series. Thompson, also an executive producer, added, "Kev and I are super excited to be part of the Paris Olympics by recapping performances from some of the world's best athletes. Let’s go Team U.S.A.!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back