Official " SOPRANOS final episode " thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently they cut out the black screen at the end. It was supposed to last about 10-15 seconds before credits rolled, to make the viewers think, but Nine let the screen go black for 1 second and then went to the credits.

Nein treated the show with contempt from the second season when they pulled it at the last minute to repeat season one.

Karma for nein in the end though...the trash they dish up now for 'entertainment' and the ratings and profit losses are just desserts for treating us like mugs.

RIP Sopranos.

Best show ever

Gaso

The thing about the ending is not whether Tony is killed that's a given but whether AJ and Carmella get whacked as well.
really?

**SPOILER WARNING***

I thought it was either gunna be him or Phil, and obviously Phil 'bought it'. I think it would've made less sense to whack them both/all.

I thought it was pretty much as Chase intimated: life goes on, and amongst the "mundane-ness" of discussing onion rings, Tony's still gotta watch his back, like when the 'wise guy' goes to the dunny and the 2 black dudes come in and approach the juke box.

Nup. They never kill family members.

I think at least carm wasn't killed, they certainly don't wack wives.

But AJ, he wasn't a kid anymore, he'd be a possible future threat. There's a few clues that point towards his possible death.

Again...individual interpretations...

But AJ, he wasn't a kid anymore, he'd be a possible future threat. There's a few clues that point towards his possible death.

Again...individual interpretations...

Bollocks. AJ wasn't involved in the business and definitely would not have been targeted.

I didn't say it was a dead cert mate, nothing about those last moments is.

But...he was Tonys only male Heir, and he has a history of trying to avenge Tonys shooting, even tho he did a piss poor job. He wasn't part of the business but he certainly had dabbled in the dark side of life.

Quite possible Tony's assassins would have gone the safe route and taken out AJ as well, who knows? Just another discussion point.

But...he was Tonys only male Heir, and he has a history of trying to avenge Tonys shooting, even tho he did a piss poor job. He wasn't part of the business but he certainly had dabbled in the dark side of life.

Quite possible Tony's assassins would have gone the safe route and taken out AJ as well, who knows? Just another discussion point.

Would have done the world a favour taking out AJ - there would be more chance of Meadow going down the revenge road, I reckon the apple didn't fall far from the tree there.

I think it's great so many of us have a different interpretation of "what might have happened".

Every hit on the show only took out the target, never was a child hit too. Never. Why would it start now... it makes no sense. It is not the way they operate.

Just because it is remotely possible doesn't make it probable. I may as well come out and say the diner was hit with a ten tonne block of cheese... about as much info supporting that outcome as AJ getting whacked too.

Chase said the ending was straight forward and uncomplicated... people are reading way too much into it. Wishful thinking combined with over analysis.

Every hit on the show only took out the target, never was a child hit too.

Come on mate, AJ was 20 at the time of the finale. He was hardly a child.

Never said it happened, or was even probable. But it was certainly possible, and explainable.

Speaking of reading too much into things, i think you might be doing that with my posts on the subject. Its all just theories...

The thing was, the war with New York was over well in a truce for now, the Feds had Tony where they wanted him he was about to be arrested. Whoever whacked Tony was taking a risk and must have been desperate for revenge. That's why i think AJ may have been whacked as well. This was a revenge kill. Another thing for saying innocent people don't get whacked remember the attack on the Phil look alike his daughter was killed as well, she was an innocent victim but then again so was the man in that case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Paulie is loyal to Tony - remember the "retouched" painting of Tony and the horse that he had hanging on his wall in pride of place.

He loved Tony. That's my take anyway.

With Leotardo gone Tony has the upper hand with both muscle and influence in Jersey. However, get rid of Tony there isn't a second who can step up. Christopher & Bobby are dead, Sil is heading that way. Paulie is about the only one who could take over but I doubt that he is seen as a threat. Too old, too hot headed, too . . . eccentric. Plus, Paulie wouldn't take the responsibility well. There's no way AJ has the mental strength, know-how or even the nature to fill Tony's shoes.

Eventually, Tony's family would be absorbed into Leotardo's

If Tony was killed it was business - not personal. A takeover. Mafia style.

Yeah I agree Obi-Haive. It's all over. There are even references to that being the case in the final episode.

When Leotardo's 2nd in charge is walking through little Italy and the tour guide can be heard saying something along the lines of "Little Italy used to cover 4 blocks and has now been reduced to just one strip of shops".

Also, there is a shot taken for a few seconds of Paulie sitting out the front of Satriales all on his own. This is where they used to all sit and do their stuff, it was a pretty obvious sign in context I reckon. Just him all alone, everyone else either dead, in a Coma and a stark contrast to what used to be happening out the front on those table and chairs.

That may be drawing a long bow but remember Chase said, "It's all out there, anyone who wants to know what happened can figure it out from what is there".

Yeah I agree Obi-Haive. It's all over. There are even references to that being the case in the final episode.

When Leotardo's 2nd in charge is walking through little Italy and the tour guide can be heard saying something along the lines of "Little Italy used to cover 4 blocks and has now been reduced to just one strip of shops".

Also, there is a shot taken for a few seconds of Paulie sitting out the front of Satriales all on his own. This is where they used to all sit and do their stuff, it was a pretty obvious sign in context I reckon. Just him all alone, everyone else either dead, in a Coma and a stark contrast to what used to be happening out the front on those table and chairs.

That may be drawing a long bow but remember Chase said, "It's all out there, anyone who wants to know what happened can figure it out from what is there".

Alone . . . except for the infamous, dead-Christopher obsessed, orange cat!

What does that say.

With Leotardo gone Tony has the upper hand with both muscle and influence in Jersey. However, get rid of Tony there isn't a second who can step up. Christopher & Bobby are dead, Sil is heading that way. Paulie is about the only one who could take over but I doubt that he is seen as a threat. Too old, too hot headed, too . . . eccentric. Plus, Paulie wouldn't take the responsibility well. There's no way AJ has the mental strength, know-how or even the nature to fill Tony's shoes.

Eventually, Tony's family would be absorbed into Leotardo's

If Tony was killed it was business - not personal. A takeover. Mafia style.

This is bang on. Although Butch and Albie gave Tony the greenlight to take out Phil in the sit down, you have to expect they had ulterior motives. With Phil gone they took over the Lupertazzi family.

Once phil was gone, NY was free to do what it always wanted to, take over Jersey. Jersey had been effectively decapitated except for Tony. With Tony gone, Jersey was theirs.

Just business.

Don't know why people are assuming Tony died.

For me, it all comes down to whether you're a cynic or a romantic. Personally, I am a romantic and the way I see it is that the show wasn't about crime or the mafia but was always about family (Tony, Carmella and the kids being the most important family and then you have the other "family" which is Tony's crew).

The final scene was showing the Soprano family finally reaching a state of happiness and contentment with all of them together like a normal family. Everyone is happy with the kids being in a comfortable position and having discovered some form of direction for the paths they want to go down in life.

Of course the "mafia" life is not over as they mention Carlo is going to testify to a grand jury but at least the problems with the New York crew are over and Tony can get his own crew back to normal.

Ultimately both families are settled and after so many dramas and tragedies, they've pulled through and can afford to smile. Tony is happy because he knows that Carmella and the kids are more important to him than anything else in this world and they are his centre.

So which one are you?
- A cynic who sees Tony being whacked.
- A romantic who sees the family living a long and healthy life (albeit with dangers and tragedies along the way)?

The final scene was showing the Soprano family finally reaching a state of happiness and contentment with all of them together like a normal family. Everyone is happy with the kids being in a comfortable position and having discovered some form of direction for the paths they want to go down in life.

There is one major problem with this, and that is the sudden blackout ending. If Chase wanted viewers to think everyone lived happily ever after, why would he have used that dramatic, abrupt method of ending the series.

Surely, if that's the view he wanted people to have he would have allowed Meadow to join them, filmed them joking around as a happy family, then slowly draw away from the soprano table with the camera. Fade to black, credits come up, the end.

If the ending is supposed to be a happy one, Chase had an extremely puzzling, and it has to be said, nonsensical way of displaying it....

They were talking about how Nine ruined the ending on SEN today and some guy called in to say that there will be a movie, is that true?

They were talking about how Nine ruined the ending on SEN today and some guy called in to say that there will be a movie, is that true?

Unconfirmed. Chase is very non committal about it and at the moment it seems unlikely.

In any case he's hinted that it'll be set before the finale in 2006. More than likely so the killed off main characters like chrissy can star.

Nah, David Chase has said that he'll never say never but he hasn't got any plans, or even a desire to make a film or expand on what we've already seen.

I really don't know how a movie would work anyway.

They couldn't set it after the events in the final episode as Tony is dead (seemingly) and if not there's really only Paulie left from the original crew. Besides, if it was set after it would clear up what did happen at the end - David Chase is on record saying that is something he wants to leave to the imagination of the viewer.

If they did a film set at an earlier time, before the final episode, then the actors playing Meadow and AJ would be different as the original cast would be much older by the time it was put into production. Either this or not include them in the script, but without them the integral family life of Tony wouldn't work.

Some people have suggested a movie that looks at the old days of Johnnie-Boy & Junior Soprano, with Tony, Sil and Ralphie as kids. Would be interesting but I think it's more of a wishful rumour than anything.

I think with the way the series ended many people seem to think that David Chase has left it open for future stories, but I doubt this was his intention.

There is one major problem with this, and that is the sudden blackout ending. If Chase wanted viewers to think everyone lived happily ever after, why would he have used that dramatic, abrupt method of ending the series.

Surely, if that's the view he wanted people to have he would have allowed Meadow to join them, filmed them joking around as a happy family, then slowly draw away from the soprano table with the camera. Fade to black, credits come up, the end.

If the ending is supposed to be a happy one, Chase had an extremely puzzling, and it has to be said, nonsensical way of displaying it....

The family still goes on and the dinner was just a snapshot of life.

I think the sweet fade to black ending would've been to obvious. Think of the ending to Goodfellas which is probably the biggest influence on the show. The Sopranos was always a groundbreaking show and it was never going to end like most other programs.

The family still goes on and the dinner was just a snapshot of life.

I think the sweet fade to black ending would've been to obvious. Think of the ending to Goodfellas which is probably the biggest influence on the show. The Sopranos was always a groundbreaking show and it was never going to end like most other programs.

Yeah agree with you there. Hate it when know it alls say how they died for sure and give their da vinci style clues.:thumbsdown: Chase has already said that there was no hidden clues and said and the whole reason he did that ending was to leave people wondering and to make up their minds, if he wanted it to be obvious he wouldn't had done that ending.

From what I've read about what Chase has said, Tony doesn't die that night but you get an idea of what his future holds - always suspecting everyone and waiting for the hit. So he does eventually get hit but not that night but the scene gives you an idea of what it would like to be him and never being able to relax. Top show, in my top 3 of all time.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back