Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Doozy_Man said:
Echucaboy, Any word on what is happening at Echuca? What clubs have secured the services of Murphy, Wilson, Martin and Reyne?
can we get any word from echuca boy at all?? where are ya mate?? am missing your posts.

cookie33 said:
The season being only 4 weeks away does anyone want to start making any predictions? i would love to get the insights from Echucaboy,Jmain,Footyboss,Tige,Sidey,FTB,FBP etc etc
sorry cookie, I know my opinion is highly respected on here but as I am overseas at the moment I don't think I will be able to comment on the gv much this year. guess I am relying on you boys to tell me what is going on. as you'd know though my posts are generally biased towards rochy so it won't come as a surprise that I am tipping them to finish in the 6 - apart from that though I have got nothing.

cookie33 said:
Great post mate, i look forward to reading a bit more of your stuff in the future. I have to agree with you on most of that, i probably dont think Shepp Swans will be to flash and i would be suprised if Bears won anymore than 4 or 5 games for the season.

It does seem that the Martie Mcgrath to Tatura is certain as it was reported on the radio up there and is also going through the process of being cleared from his former club, looks as though they signed another bloke by the name of Cordy. There are good articles on the Tatura website for anyone interested in seeing who they recruit, that and Seymours andc Euroas seem to be the best out of a bad bunch.

Mate i dont have any news on Kyabram i actually dont think anyone has they have been by far the team who has made the least amount of noise. I would really like to see them be competetive this season. Mansfield i think are the funny ones for the year noone knows if there gonna be any good or not they seem to have picked up a few but have also lost a barrell load of stars.

The season being only 4 weeks away does anyone want to start making any predictions? i would love to get the insights from Echucaboy,Jmain,Footyboss,Tige,Sidey,FTB,FBP etc etc

Good post mate, is that Brad Cordy by the way?
Can play.
I don't know as much as all the other guys on here but anyway here's my predictions...
Euroa
Benalla
Tatura
Seymour
Mooroopna
United (sneak in on % and win the grand final)
Mansfield
Rochester
Echuca
Swans
Bears
Kyabram

Sidey_87 said:
Can play.
I don't know as much as all the other guys on here but anyway here's my predictions...
Euroa
Benalla
Tatura
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Rochester
Echuca
Swans
Bears
Kyabram

As someone who is relatively uninformed of the GV league these days, I was surprised to see you had Rochy so low this year. I thought they'd done alright over summer in terms of holding on to their players and recruiting? Is this a general consensus?

kanga fan man said:
seen on the dvfl wesite it said that bundoora v seymour has been cancelled ?
Bundoora v Seymour has been cancelled and now replaced with Seymour v Bundoora (at Kings Park).

Bundoora's ground became unavailable due to one of their sides making the cricket grand final or something like that.

No Heart said:
Bundoora v Seymour has been cancelled and now replaced with Seymour v Bundoora (at Kings Park).

Bundoora's ground became unavailable due to one of their sides making the cricket grand final or something like that.

Should be a close encounter. In fact...i reckon it will be a nil all draw...as there are no goal posts on the re-vamped Kings Park...and according to the ground staff...they haven't arrived yet...so they can't put them in.

Although the oval has been measured out for them.

Looks like a few wheelie bins will be the goal posts! Or we'll get the Vic Kick posts, probably suit the standard of footy which will be played.

jmain14 said:
can we get any word from echuca boy at all?? where are ya mate?? am missing your posts.

He is in the process of changing from full-time employment to full time study. So unfortunatly we may not hear as much from ECHUCABOY for a little while. :mad:

Very hard to put ladders together at this time of year with so much happening on the recruiting front. One thing for sure Echuca will be big improvers, picked up 6 real quality players. All premiership players, all key position or on ballers. Also get full season out of Butler and Durie who both missed significant parts of last year. Plus they have a couple of other recruits expected to be good senior players. Thats upto 10 different names. Losing Archard will hurt them, but that's about all as only lost 1 or 2 others. Plus they only play Seymour and Euroa once which makes for a good draw. They also have winning culture and you would think they would want to hit back hard after last year. Not a team that goes in peaks and troughs been consistantly in finals for many years and i'm tipping they will be this year again.

Ive had a bit of spare time this morning while the taxi is in being serviced, so went through the 2006 draw game-by-game to work out a ladder. Ive allowed for home ground advantage etc, and tried not to favour the lions too much.

Looking at it week to week, it also allows for those sides with a pretty good draw. As no left foot pointed out, Echuca have a reasonable draw but I reckon the standout is Mooroopna. They also only have to meet Euroa and Seymour once, and I would say they will have a better side on paper than Echuca so should do pretty well in those 50-50 games that can go either way.

Here's how it panned out:

Euroa
Benalla
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Rochester
----------
Echuca
Shep Bears
Shep United
Tatura
Shep Swans
Kyabram

No Heart said:
Ive had a bit of spare time this morning while the taxi is in being serviced...[/QUOTE]

LOL for No Heart.
Jeez mate, you could have picked a better time to book the cab in for a grease and oil change...there are tourists out there just begging to be ripped off.

fat back pocket said:
Should be a close encounter. In fact...i reckon it will be a nil all draw...as there are no goal posts on the re-vamped Kings Park...and according to the ground staff...they haven't arrived yet...so they can't put them in.

Although the oval has been measured out for them.

Looks like a few wheelie bins will be the goal posts! Or we'll get the Vic Kick posts, probably suit the standard of footy which will be played.

FBP, how has kings park been revamped? Resurfaced? Please tell me the sand/rock/asphalt track has been removed - lost plenty of skin on that over the years..

a.k.a. said:
FBP, how has kings park been revamped? Resurfaced? Please tell me the sand/rock/asphalt track has been removed - lost plenty of skin on that over the years..

Yep, that's precisely what has happened and now the bluddy thing looks as big as Waverley!!!
It's also been resown. The Expo wasn't allowed on the ground this year so hopefully the Lions can look forward to playing on a pristine surface this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sidey_87 said:
Can play.
Euroa
Benalla
Tatura
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Rochester
Echuca
Swans
Bears
Kyabram

Hey mate, nah im can promise you im not Brad Cordy, in fact i have never even heard of him or even seen Tatura train or anything. I follow the clubs who have VFL players on there list that i was involved in and it was mainly at Preston and Coburg, as Tatura,Euroa and Seymour have players from both clubs playing there i will follow them closely. Last year i followed Benalla and Seymour more than others and this season i will follow Tatura and Euroa more than the other 2 hence my reason for wanting to know if Brad Cordy can play.

No Heart said:
Here's how it panned out:

Euroa
Benalla
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Rochester
----------
Echuca
Shep Bears
Shep United
Tatura
Shep Swans
Kyabram

Not a bad attempt at all. As has been stated Echuca, Shep United and Tat will prob be the other main finals contenders, but who knows.

The reqruiting over the past 3-4 weeks by Echuca and Tat will put a lot of pressure on Rochy to overcome a tough draw and make the finals again. Wins early in the year will be very important for these teams and Rochy plays Seymour and Euroa in rounds 2 and 3 I think. Could be telling come end of the year.

No Heart - do you agree Seymour would love to finish third again?? Has to be the best spot to finish, especially given Seymour will most likely be a step above whoever does finish sixth.

ilovetogetblind said:
Not a bad attempt at all. As has been stated Echuca, Shep United and Tat will prob be the other main finals contenders, but who knows.

The reqruiting over the past 3-4 weeks by Echuca and Tat will put a lot of pressure on Rochy to overcome a tough draw and make the finals again. Wins early in the year will be very important for these teams and Rochy plays Seymour and Euroa in rounds 2 and 3 I think. Could be telling come end of the year.

No Heart - do you agree Seymour would love to finish third again?? Has to be the best spot to finish, especially given Seymour will most likely be a step above whoever does finish sixth.
As we've seen over the past couple of years, 3rd is a good spot to be as long as you can get over that first week of the finals. That said, you want to finish as high as you can and start the finals with a double chance - so give me 1st or 2nd anyday.

ANT JESS said:
He is in the process of changing from full-time employment to full time study. So unfortunatly we may not hear as much from ECHUCABOY for a little while. :mad:

Ant Jess, you might be able to shed some light on the Echuca team? You seem to be in the know how with Rochy and Echuca. The likes of Reyne, Martin, Wilson and Laidlaw. What is the go with these players?

Sidey_87 said:
Can play.
Euroa
Benalla
Tatura
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Rochester
Echuca
Swans
Bears
Kyabram

just thought i would put my two cents in here;

Euroa
Seymour
Benalla (pretty obvious top 3 really)

United
Moooopna
Echuca

Rochester
Mansfield
Tatura
Bears
Swans
Kyabram

Someone asked what's happening with these guys this year:

Reyne - Applied for clearance to Echuca United in the MFL (not sure how keen Echuca will be to slide it through)
Martin - Possibly a little wearied by age, heading out to Lockington Bamawm United to run around in cow s h i t and eat flies.
Wilson - Has moved to WA and playing for North Beach I think (whoever Billy Duckworth's coaching), pretty successful club over there in the last couple of years.
Laidlaw??? - I don't think the big fella's played in 2-3 years!? If the knee was to hold up I'm sure he would be a force to be reckoned with, unfortunately, not to sure how much of it's still holding together. Motivation to play could also be a factor which I believe is currently lacking.
Someone else also mentioned Murphy... He's heading overseas for 12 months or so in April/May so won't be playing anywhere this year.

Doozy_Man said:
Ant Jess, you might be able to shed some light on the Echuca team? You seem to be in the know how with Rochy and Echuca. The likes of Reyne, Martin, Wilson and Laidlaw. What is the go with these players?
Outs (that I know of): Dale Reyne (Echuca United), Matt Martin (Lockington-Bamawm United), Ben Wilson (Perth), Rhys Archard (Adelaide), Craig Frost (Echuca United), Shaun Murphy (overseas).
Ins: Brad Smith who will fill a key position spot at centre-half forward.
Josh Maddox who is a GVFL representative midfielder.
Youngster Chris Casey will play regular senior football this year after spending most of last year with the Bendigo Pioneers.
Picked up two player from the SANFL, who look like they wiill be handy inclusions.
Echuca did not perform well at the latter part of last year. Plenty of younger players around the club that can step up and play a bit of senior football. Should be more competitive than at stages last year.

for those tipping the swans and kyabram as last 2, there are some recruits for them. swans have picked up 5 players, 3 on ballers and 2 of them key position. apparently all quality and have played good metro footy. kyabram have picked up 2 players from darwin, on ballers and 2 others from melbourne, key position. thats to a side that finished 7th last year. both clubs dont have all these on transfers list but both think they will be more than competitive this year.

Punter_22 said:
Outs (that I know of): Dale Reyne (Echuca United), Matt Martin (Lockington-Bamawm United), Ben Wilson (Perth), Rhys Archard (Adelaide), Craig Frost (Echuca United), Shaun Murphy (overseas).
Ins: Brad Smith who will fill a key position spot at centre-half forward.
Josh Maddox who is a GVFL representative midfielder.
Youngster Chris Casey will play regular senior football this year after spending most of last year with the Bendigo Pioneers.
Picked up two player from the SANFL, who look like they wiill be handy inclusions.
Echuca did not perform well at the latter part of last year. Plenty of younger players around the club that can step up and play a bit of senior football. Should be more competitive than at stages last year.

Sounds like they have a good side then for 2006. The depth will be a concern again I think. I have witnessed laidlaw play against Rochy once, and i really hope he plays again. Every Rochy player is scared S***less of him. Echuca need a dominent figure out there. Murphy will be a loss. Gee there are some players from the GV playing in Perth at the moment! Did Wilson move over there because of other Echuca players there currently?

From What I heard, Willo took the chance to take the move away from home, similar to the reasoning of Rhys Archard when he said he was leaving.

You're right about Silas. I remember a game at Rochy when he went off his brain, along with Mark Heritage. One of the most entertaining matches I had seen in a long time.

Punter_22 said:
From What I heard, Willo took the chance to take the move away from home, similar to the reasoning of Rhys Archard when he said he was leaving.

You're right about Silas. I remember a game at Rochy when he went off his brain, along with Mark Heritage. One of the most entertaining matches I had seen in a long time.

Which game are you talking about? year/round??

ilovetogetblind said:
Which game are you talking about? year/round??

Your on the money Ant Jess, I dunno bout this studying caper, I'd much prefer sitting at a desk talking poo on BigFooty.

Reckon it mighta been a game in Rochy in 2003, Sim McCarty gave heritage one of the best punches to the face I have witnessed. Was a very entertaining game that one. it would be great for Silas to come back and have a run around, it would definetly get the crowds to the game!

Echuca v Rochy rivalry has dropped off a lot lately, hopefully the one wholikestogetblind could stir something up for us spectators.

Met one of the big blokes Echuca have picked up and the man is a mammoth, nearly crushed my little bitch hands, will be more than a handful for opposition sides.

Yeah the other boys are on the money with the departures and gets etc. from wat I can gather.

Unfortunatley for young Chrsi "Poffa" Casey he has pretended to do his knee and will miss 3-4 weeks, knowing him he is probably crying about it right now. Really looking forward to having a few frothies and watching Rochy v Echuca, going to be a belter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad