North supporter toughest times

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m confused? Freomaniac??
On the main board Freomaniac is the only non North poster I can think of who's regularly gone into bat for us when a bunch of flogs start calling for relocation, no PPs and whatever else they say to shit on North.

Its a pretty feral place at times and Fm is one of the very few decent posters when it is. Maybe the only one.

Been going since l was 3, 1963. I lived 250 metres from Arden st. Bertie22 may have us all covered though l reckon.
I worked out with my (now late) Dad some years ago that my first game at Arden Street was in 1959, aged 5. We beat the Roys apparently. Can also recall the green seats at the G that same year, although I think we lost big time.

I worked out with my (now late) Dad some years ago that my first game at Arden Street was in 1959, aged 5. We beat the Roys apparently. Can also recall the green seats at the G that same year, although I think we lost big time.
I am not quite that old. I do remember Wally Carter returning as coach in 1958 when we were beaten by Collingwood in the preliminary final. As with another final 40 years later, we threw it away with bad kicking, being 2.10 at half time
Looks like we have a new clubhouse leader!!! Well done "The Chorus."

The chorus Hojuman Bertie22 shinboner_99

Turning this thread on it’s head a bit, I was born in ‘71, so just a bit young to fully get the ‘70’s (78 onwards my memories kick in), what was it bloody like when it turned in ‘73?

Unbelievable. School was the best day Monday's. I had 1 North mate at school. Everyone else barracked for the big 4 ( not * )

Turning this thread on it’s head a bit, I was born in ‘71, so just a bit young to fully get the ‘70’s (78 onwards my memories kick in), what was it bloody like when it turned in ‘73?
I had just left school, where like Hoj I had only one North supporting mate. (Still is a mate!) . 73 was like a dawn. There were ups and downs of course but we had a great nucleus and the inclusion of Barassi with Davis, Wade, Rantall, you just knew good times were coming as the existing players went up a notch where they could. I think about 13 blokes who were in the 1972 wooden spoon team played in the 75 premiership. So things can change quickly if the planets align.

This is an enjoyable thread!!!!

Winning was strange at first, not something we were used too. Must admit l never realised there were finals and a grand final until about 1968 l think. Once round 22 came and went my season ended.
First grand final l actually listened to was in 1972, and only because we were at a car service centre in Matthews ave.* and the radio was on.

I have a Grandma who followed Hotham back in the day. She reckons they were real tough times. No allocated seating. No face painting. No pre-purchasing of tickets. No roof over the stadium. No score reviews. They did it tough back then. She laughs when I have a whinge about the price of a pie at the footy. She used to, and still does, just take a can of SPAM ham to the game and nibble on that with a thermos of Bonox. God bless her sole.

1972 was the season when North won the spoon with 1 win and 21 defeats.

Amazing that with in 2 full seaons North made a grand final in 1974. Then won the flag the next season.

I am curious on How many North Melbourne fans on here followed North before the 1970s?

I am Born in 1987 so before the Horrible 2020-24 period. Norths worst seasons in my life time were 2017 when North got 6 wins and 16 losses and 2006 when North got 7 wins and 15 losses and made finals in 2007.
Followed North forever. Went to the 58 final in which we beat Fitzroy. Lost the preliminary against Colingwood. Worst era for me was 1970,71,72. I stopped going to games and focused on chasin the girls. Three years later we win a premiership. The early 70s was very similar to our past 3 years. 2028 we win the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Followed North forever. Went to the 58 final in which we beat Fitzroy. Lost the preliminary against Colingwood. Worst era for me was 1970,71,72. I stopped going to games and focused on chasin the girls. Three years later we win a premiership. The early 70s was very similar to our past 3 years. 2028 we win the premiership.

Did youin catchem one dem girls 49 ?

I have a Grandma who followed Hotham back in the day. She reckons they were real tough times. No allocated seating. No face painting. No pre-purchasing of tickets. No roof over the stadium. No score reviews. They did it tough back then. She laughs when I have a whinge about the price of a pie at the footy. She used to, and still does, just take a can of SPAM ham to the game and nibble on that with a thermos of Bonox. God bless her sole.
Shouldn't she just use her teeth?

Winning was strange at first, not something we were used too. Must admit l never realised there were finals and a grand final until about 1968 l think. Once round 22 came and went my season ended.
First grand final l actually listened to was in 1972, and only because we were at a car service centre in Matthews ave.* and the radio was on.
It was great. We were in the running for the finals most of the year and only missed out by 2 points. I got to a few games and the excitement was amazing. I moved to the country mid season and never got to another game until the 1975 grand final when I saw my team mate from under 14s kick 4 goals before half time- the highlight of my time following North

It was great. We were in the running for the finals most of the year and only missed out by 2 points. I got to a few games and the excitement was amazing. I moved to the country mid season and never got to another game until the 1975 grand final when I saw my team mate from under 14s kick 4 goals before half time- the highlight of my time following North

Johnny Burns. Think in an old thread here somewhere l gave him the Norm Smith that day for setting us up 👍

On the main board Freomaniac is the only non North poster I can think of who's regularly gone into bat for us when a bunch of flogs start calling for relocation, no PPs and whatever else they say to shit on North.

Its a pretty feral place at times and Fm is one of the very few decent posters when it is. Maybe the only one.

You saw some of the North Melbourne Threads on the main Board.

The Part one of the North Melbourne Priority pick thread had 350-400 pages of it. Most of it was toxic and Poxy posts and People bashing North For the sake of it.

Only time I have ever Brought up anything close to Relocation is for North Melbourne to play Carlton once a year at Princes Park.

I will say this though... The Jason Horne Francis Situation brought 2 important things.

1. Players can be traded 1 year into their initial contract. Not really good when your club is struggling. But North Melbounre got adequate compensation for Trading away Jason Horne Francis.

2. Because of the Jason Horne Francis Situation, AFL brought into a new draft rule that if you are taken between picks 1 to 20, you are given a 3 year deal rather than the old 2 year deal. So that means Kerchener and Duursma are contraced to North for the 2024, 2025 and 2026 AFL seasons

So Clarkson is your Ron Barrassi?

North get a few free agents too between 2024-27?

makes sense with the Salary cap in 2025 being 17.7 million

It was hard to believe it was actually happening. I was at Moorabin late in the season when we had to beat the saints to make the finals for the first time in my memory. Up at half time and looking like we would go on with it but unfortunately fell short. Weren't very disappointed when we left the ground just talked about how good a season it had been. Bit like the feeling after last weeks game.

Last edited:
Mid August 2000, cut short a 3 week trip to Phuket, paid some exhorbitant surcharge to change my airline ticket, to attend the Prelim v GoDees, after overcoming a 125 pt Qualifying final loss to *, and backing up with a 10 pt win v Hawks in Semi final, i had high hopes, sat through a 50 pt loss :'(

After my first season of actually going to games in 1972(on the metal piping around the fence in front of the social club) and witnessing a single victory against the lowly Swans on an Arden St mudheap, I could hardly believe my eyes when we knocked over Hawthorn in Rd 1 of 1973.
The transformation of the club in attendance and atmosphere was extraordinary to witness. I mean, we were terrible in ‘72.
Took ages to get the parents out of the social club. I got smuggled in occasionally but generally no kids. I was 10. Not one other North supporter at my state school.

Ok so here’s my current take. I see the wheel turning. It’s exciting….BUT I’m freaking out that LDU and Zurhaar will leave. If that happens it’s like we’re being ****ed all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back