North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone has to finish last every year.
North aren’t even last on the ladder.
No priority pick necessary.
North just need to get their bloody act together …

No PP ever has been about finishing last, a Blues supporter should know that.

The AFL really need to do better with their mysterious formula when it comes to priority picks. I get it keeps the sport in the news, but it's crap news and just leaves those who follow the comp annoyed.

I’m basing it on the most recent example of a priority pick given which was the back end of the GC bail out (although I’ll admit I might be mixing their frozen pick 11 for two years and getting the end of first round). They ended up with so many picks they were packaging them up with young talent. Either way their draft process seems to be paying off.

The shock and awe though of the potential of assistance amuses me though, it’s been happening for decades. Not that it’s a debate I see as worthwhile, it’s only hypothetical. It’ll happen or it won’t regardless of this thread.

I agree though there is glaring deficiencies with maturity, there was a run of drafts under Scott that got wiped out which left us with a hole in that 25-28yo area. I don’t think it’s as simple to say “take 2-3 state players” though, it’s a market diluted by the MSD and it’s a bit “robbing Peter to pay Paul” if you don’t get list/cap concessions in the deal. Pre-covid list sizes maybe but if you have to do your normal drafting and then find room for some second stringers you just end up moving on development players prematurely or mature agers that offer the same thing you’d get from these state players. It’s in the wheelhouse though, interesting to see how some of the MSD rejects go in the back end.
No. The ‘rule’ in the past was if you won less than 5 games you received a priority pick. That rule no longer exists and for good reason.

New interstate clubs like GC have been an exception and it’s quite obvious why. No many clubs have their 3 captains and best players leave in consecutive years.

The Blues have been shiit for 20 years. They got access to state league players for further assistance.

You had the number 1 pick in last year’s draft. You had the number 1 pick in last year’s mid season draft (mind you some where saying the guy you grabbed was a potential top 10 National draft pick). You just grabbed the number 2 pick in the mid season and will likely have the number 1 or 2 pick in the 2022 National draft.

You gave up a lot to get a guy from Richmond who is struggling to get a game. You also wasted a 1st round pick on a flakey player from Collingwood that other clubs were wary of and certainly not the type of player for a young rebuilding team.

We can go on and on. The point being that the AFL is already set-up to help clubs who are at the bottom have very opportunity to become competitive and play finals. It takes time and it takes competence. Your club has time, but obviously incompetent. Just fix that. Otherwise why wouldn’t WC ask for a priority pick if they only win 1 or 2 games this year? Or if not this year, next year if they only win a handful of games?

Clubs should not be rewarded for poor decision making. If you need help, well then ask the AFL to take over your club.

Last edited:
No. The ‘rule’ in the past was if you won less than 5 games you received a priority pick. That rule no longer exists and for good reason.

New interstate clubs like GC have been an exception and it’s quite obvious why. No many clubs have their 3 captains and best players leave in consecutive years.

The Blues have been shiit for 20 years. They got access to state league players for further assistance.

You had the number 1 pick in last year’s draft. You had the number 1 pick in last year’s mid season draft (mind you some where saying the guy you grabbed was a potential top 10 National draft pick). You just grabbed the number 2 pick in the mid season and will likely have the number 1 or 2 pick in the 2022 National draft.

You gave up a lot to get a guy from Richmond who is struggling to get a game. You also wasted a 1st round pick on a flakey player from Collingwood that other clubs were wary of and certainly not the type of player for a young rebuilding team.

We can go on and on. The point being that the AFL is already set-up to help clubs who are at the bottom have very opportunity to become competitive and play finals. It takes time and it takes competence. Your club has time, but obviously incompetent. Just fix that. Otherwise why wouldn’t WC ask for a priority pick if they only win 1 or 2 games this year? Or if not this year, next year if they only win a handful of games?

Clubs should not be rewarded for poor decision making. If you need help, we’ll then ask the AFL to take over your club.

North have also been victim of some unforseen rotten luck, like Rhyce Shaw's breakdown and Ben Cunnington (their best player)'s cancer diagnosis.

It's unfair and disingenuous to suggest all of North's problems have been self inflicted.

And don't start on the crap about West Coast needing a PP, they only won a flag 4 years ago, its laughable that they should be brought up in the PP discussion.

They cheated the cap and tanked. Altho another side did get pick one after being punished for injected peptides
You also wasted a 1st round pick on a flakey player from Collingwood that other clubs were wary of and certainly not the type of player for a young rebuilding team.
No we didn't. Get your facts right.

We can go on and on.
Well you certainly can ... and do.
Clubs should not be rewarded for poor decision making. If you need help, we’ll then ask the AFL to take over your club.
**** the AFL and their PPs.

We made the decisions we made cos we were in a shit place after 5 years of nothing and another 5 years of half arsed football trying to stay mid table and not do what we are doing now. The longer you put that off the worse it gets.

If we need any AFL help its soft cap relief for the footy department.

North have also been victim of some unforseen rotten luck, like Rhyce Shaw's breakdown and Ben Cunnington (their best player)'s cancer diagnosis.

It's unfair and disingenuous to suggest all of North's problems have been self inflicted.

And don't start on the crap about West Coast needing a PP, they only won a flag 4 years ago, its laughable that they should be brought up in the PP discussion.
Heath Shaw and Cunnington aren’t bad luck stories which causes a club to capitulate and in need of AFL assistance.

I was making a point regarding WC. When does it stop? What happens if WC have 3 or 4 years with a worse record than North? They can argue the same points as North.

what i don't get is they had a free hit to sign a older ball winner at the mid season draft, jacob dawson say , could of come in filled a gap right away to tie the club over till draft time, but nope they pass for a pick in the draft they don't have atm?

what i don't get is they had a free hit to sign a older ball winner at the mid season draft, jacob dawson say , could of come in filled a gap right away to tie the club over till draft time, but nope they pass for a pick in the draft they don't have atm?
We need KPP's. Another midfielder does nothing.

Both of those are very unfortunate situations but suggesting they are where they are now because of that is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs should not be rewarded for poor decision making. If you need help, well then ask the AFL to take over your club.

I never said anything about a rule, or based my post on the rule that changed a decade ago. Nobody knows the formula for assistance and I doubt it's really just "you get more if you're new". It'll be awarded or not awarded based on a clubs need basis, not your or my opinion. It certainly won't be based upon two years of drafting or trading. I also think it's a tad disingenuous to include the MSD in any calculations, that's not what the MSD is. It's only there to help clubs top up injured players, last year was an anomaly because there was more potential some talent would show up after missing a year of footy through covid (and North gamed that reasonably by leaving a spot open, even if we have no idea what Edwards becomes). This year we had to maim a kid with the body of a 12yo and convince a rookie listed coach to retire just to claim a spot, neither of those happens and we don't get a pick. It's a draft of rejects, it's not a leg up.

It's a constant weird narrative though in any discussion about priority picks, through history - clubs should not be rewarded for poor decision making (or poor decisions according to the Collingwood supporter on BigFooty). As if every other club that has received league assistance over time did nothing more than break a mirror while holding a horseshoe upside down. Every bad team in history is a product of bad decisions. If you think that the AFL would shut down talks immediately because one club didn't make another club lose their former first round ruck prospect for free then I have an Atu to sell you.

Both of those are very unfortunate situations but suggesting they are where they are now because of that is ridiculous.

Yep, our problems started well before Rhyce Shaw passed through the club.

If you trade pick 19 or 20 for Callum Coleman-Jones you deserve nothing

huh? you got smashed in the middle yesterday, another ball winner frees up thomas and simpkin to play wing, hf. NM needs class at either end that helps
If there's a problem with our midfield talent beyond their youth (and as a result, their consistency), its so far down the list its a total non-priority.

You're at a different phase than us: Touk is one of the best 20 AFL players in the comp right now, one of the league's leading two-way runners, and he's in his prime.

At various points in their careers, LDU, JHF, TT, Simpkin, and Powell have all shown they have what it takes to very good midfielders, but they are no where near fulfilling their potential.

By contrast, no team has fielded as few KPFs as we have this year. The stocks just aren't there on our list, and opposition teams know when they shut Larkey down we will be in a lot of trouble.

The stocks of key defenders up the other end are only a little better.

Small forwards? Our best shot is a seven gamer.

Our list is in a very poor state and will require at least two years to make it competitive again. That's the first big problem we're facing.

The second is our coach's game plan, and the visible lack of confidence our players have in being able to execute it.

Last edited:
What a load of rubbish. Such an embarrassment of a club.

You don’t need more young talent. You need better experience. At most it should be access to 1 or 2 state league players only.

Why does the AFL need to change the rules to basically rescue a club who have shown they are incompetent both on and off the field?

If they are incapable of getting themselves out of a self-inflicted mess, maybe it’s time the AFL took them over and made a decision on their future.

Norths main issue at the moment is lack of decent KPPs and stronger bodies (though I am sure North fans could tell me of many others). Neither of those will be rectified short term by a priority pick, unless they traded it.

If they get a great KPP prospect who is 18 it isn’t helping them next couple of years to be any better.

It was a baffling decision. He clearly was on the CEO path and had made it clear that was his passion. If he stayed at Brisbane he would have been odds on to take over from Greg Swann who is probably going to retire after the Lions move into their new facility later this year.

Then he gets seduced into coaching which is not only doing a job he wasn’t 100 percent invested in, but also at an organisation which had taken a stick of dynamite to the list and set itself for the mother of all rebuilds. Then their administrators immediately started talking about the expectation of finals in 2-3 years. Alarm bells immediately ringing.

Nobes… what have you done to yourself? Massive own goal.

I’m not sure anyone in Nobles position would be doing any good. People wondered if they’d win a game last year, why were they going to be better this year with additional injuries and older guys more cooked?

I’m not sure anyone in Nobles position would be doing any good. People wondered if they’d win a game last year, why were they going to be better this year with additional injuries and older guys more cooked?
yeah, these last two years of poor results are down to really really poor list management towards the end of the Scott era. People talk about the mass cull of players and how it was self inflicted but only three of the guys we cut are still anywhere near AFL standard, Mason Wood is finally playing good footy at St. Kilda after giving us nothing for years, Majak Daw is depth at Melbourne and Sam Durdin just got picked up after working hard in the SANFL for two years. Meanwhile we're stuck with Jared Polec on a long contract and we've spent two years giving Josh Walker regular games instead of developing a young KPD.

Norths main issue at the moment is lack of decent KPPs and stronger bodies (though I am sure North fans could tell me of many others). Neither of those will be rectified short term by a priority pick, unless they traded it.

If they get a great KPP prospect who is 18 it isn’t helping them next couple of years to be any better.
Yep, and in Hall's absence, a total lack of a run-and-carry playmaker from halfback.

As a result, the speed and decision making out of our defensive 50 is pretty terrible.

It really hard is objectively critique Noble when his list is so poor.

Basically we need to add a decent KPF/swingman like Dan McStay, a KPD with a bit experience like Griffin Logue, and an elite decision maker off halfback like Bailey Dale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back