North make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lowly pick 12 no where near enough

I love this... he was a pick 5 a couple of years ago & hasn't gone backwards. Why do people think his worth has reduced, as a 22 year old who has shown he can do it at the highest level? Spare me.

Anyway, looking like it's irrelevant as he will rightly choose to stay.

North Melbourne's like the weedy kid at school that keeps asking out the hot chicks but, for some reason, keeps letting everyone know about it beforehand

North Melbourne's like the weedy kid at school that keeps asking out the hot chicks but, for some reason, keeps letting everyone know about it beforehand

And when he gets rejected, he says "I didn't really want her anyway, she's not good enough for me"

North have never been the one to announce the offers.

You can say the same about Lynch, Sloane, Gaff or anyone else coming out of contract.

What?

Lynch, Sloan and Gaff haven't turned down 5 year offers at 1m and opted for lower 2 year deals.

Pretty certain that they won't either and sign longer term deals that add security to their futures.

De Goey is still young, younger than these guys. A lot of blokes that age think they are bullet proof and don't really plan too far ahead.

Signing a two year deal for well under $2m versus a guaranteed five years at $5m. Lucky Pies!!

Why would we deal with you anyway particularly after the aflw shenanigans which I might add has severely dented your clubs reputation in league circles

Wow.

I love this... he was a pick 5 a couple of years ago & hasn't gone backwards. Why do people think his worth has reduced, as a 22 year old who has shown he can do it at the highest level? Spare me.

Anyway, looking like it's irrelevant as he will rightly choose to stay.

That's some strange reasoning. Picks in a draft are based on hypothetical potential and the strength (perceived or otherwise) of that draft. Just because he's improved from when he was 18 doesn't mean he's worth more than the pick he was taken with.

You forgot about the big **** and massive bank balance that weedy kid is packing...

Eventually they'll come...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood is the bloke who tells everyone about the hot girl they are bringing to the formal in September, but when it comes round, they get sick and she's "gone on holidays".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless he is unlucky and injury or form holds him back.

Thats the big risk he is taking. A couple of hammies or a knee and that long term $1m a year deal wont happen.

Maybe he doesnt care about money or security!
He has developed some strong relationships at the Pies, is mentored by one of the most skilled midfielders in the comp (Pendles) and will reap the benefits of playing for an AFL powerhouse financially, outside his direct salary.

He may also fulfil his potential over the next couple of seasons, with the increase in the caps then demand closer to $1.5m a season come 2020.

That's some strange reasoning. Picks in a draft are based on hypothetical potential and the strength (perceived or otherwise) of that draft. Just because he's improved from when he was 18 doesn't mean he's worth more than the pick he was taken with.

Picks in a draft are based on hypothetical potential, ie. guessing at how the guy can adapt to the next level. There's now no guessing required, JDG has shown he is on a bad day a capable footballer, on a good day an absolute matchwinner either in the midfield or up forward. That, to me, ensures he is worth more than he was when he was drafted.

You don't think he would be worth at least pick 5 right now in an open market? Lachie Weller a distant memory?

Picks in a draft are based on hypothetical potential, ie. guessing at how the guy can adapt to the next level. There's now no guessing required, JDG has shown he is on a bad day a capable footballer, on a good day an absolute matchwinner either in the midfield or up forward. That, to me, ensures he is worth more than he was when he was drafted.

You don't think he would be worth at least pick 5 right now in an open market? Lachie Weller a distant memory?

Your logic is flawed. It assumes that where he is now is higher than his potential was seen when drafted just because he's more of a known quantity. He may have been picked at 5 with the expectation that he would be a better player than he is now.

Am very surprised if reports are true its only a two year deal, not sure what to make of that!

Maybe he has a secret deal to join north in two years like their secret deal with kelly

Your logic is flawed. It assumes that where he is now is higher than his potential was seen when drafted just because he's more of a known quantity. He may have been picked at 5 with the expectation that he would be a better player than he is now.

How is this flawed? It's 100% correct. He hadn't played an AFL game when he was drafted. When you're drafted at 5, or anywhere for that matter, there's an expectation that you would perform at the highest level. But when you're able to put in performances like:

Round 15 2017 vs Haw - 32 disposals, 6 tackles, 8 I50s, 7 clearances, 11 CP, 2 brownlow votes
Round 18 2017 vs WC - 20 disposals, 4 goals, 11 CP, 3 brownlow votes
Round 20 2018 v North - 27 disposals, 1.0, 9 CP
Round 7 2018 vs Bris - 20 disposals, 5 goals 2 (likely 3 brownlow votes)
Round 9 2018 vs St Kilda - 13 disposals, 6 goals 0 (likely 3 brownlow votes)
Round 12 2018 vs Melb - 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 12 I50s, 12 CP (likely 3 brownlow votes)

That's just from his last 17 games, there's plenty of other decent performances throughout. To possibly be worth more than when he was drafted, what level would he need to be performing at?

We're not happy
Ditto Brisbane
Ditto dogs
Ditto league

So no more favours

The dogs are never happy. I don't get why the clubs are unhappy with that anyway. Most of the players north recruited were due to the Melbourne uni connection the club had and the staff North brought in on that basis. What were north going to do, start a club and not pursue OOC players they had previous dealings with. If that the case recruiting from other clubs should be a no go zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back