Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Not excuses, reasons.

Too old & too young. It's pretty simple, and we haven't had access to a Daicos, Sheezel, or Reid to make the latter irrelevant.

Whinging about it constantly doesn't do anything. October & November are not far away and we'll look to rectify it when that time comes.

Until then, this is what we've got and there's nothing we can do.

If we had a prime Dangerfield, Selwood, & Guthrie in there and were performing like this then I'd be on board with you 100%. That would be unacceptable.

Unfortunately, we don't...and we have to live with that until we get the opportunity to do something about it in the trade/draft periods.

Like anything, expectations change when the circumstances change.
No problem waiting to make changes. Seen far too much (any at all is too much) for our young midfield. Deserve zero praise and lots of scorn, and Holmes would be the only one I'd give a pass mark.

In fact, we heard the excuses a few weeks back. Low ToG is by design. Low possession and clearance numbers are by design. Spread the load they said.

Utter pish justifications

Last edited:
Conway Dangerfield Holmes
Guthrie Bruhn Dempsey

Pretty weak tbh.

Excuses do not wash with me, that crap falls on deaf ears.

I'll criticise our shit midfielders until they improve or are replaced with better players. And with Blicavs, Atkins, Bowes I hope it is the latter, and soon.
Weird you choose the non Geelong discussion page to criticize the midfielders, anyone would think you have an agenda

Weird you choose the non Geelong discussion page to criticize the midfielders, anyone would think you have an agenda
I praised Bontempelli.

That others couldn't leave it there isn't my issue.

No problem waiting to make changes. Seen far too much (any at all is too much) for our young midfield. Deserve zero praise and lots of scorn, and Holmes would be the only one I'd give a pass mark.

In fact, we heard the excuses a few weeks back. Low ToG is by design. Low possession and clearance numbers are by design. Spread the load they said.

Utter pish justifications
No offense but you’re constantly posting this week in week out posters are allowed to look at the positives of the young kids kids…most who haven’t even reached their prime yet

Nothing wrong with a constructive conversation but I believe you’re a better poster than this to constantly harp on the negatives of the midfield where there isn’t much the club can really do at this stage

Just my 2 cents and I don’t mean to sound like I’m attacking you so I apologise if if I’m being blunt on the issue it’s been a long and terrible day for me

No offense but you’re constantly posting this week in week out posters are allowed to look at the positives of the young kids kids…most who haven’t even reached their prime yet

Nothing wrong with a constructive conversation but I believe you’re a better poster than this to constantly harp on the negatives of the midfield where there isn’t much the club can really do at this stage

Just my 2 cents and I don’t mean to sound like I’m attacking you so I apologise if if I’m being blunt on the issue it’s been a long and terrible day for me
Not going to stop. Others can look to the positives of young players, and I can call that out as pie in the sky if the shoe fits.

I won't watch us be the worst midfield team in the comp and stay quiet. But in this instance I merely saw Bont with 8 clearances 5 minutes into the 2nd Q and thought none of the guys we have will ever reach these heights. Was on topic for a non Geelong game. Others responding made it less so after the fact.

A lot rides on this group, a lack of improvement in the next 12-24 months and it becomes a Wells/Mackie recruitment fail. And I am more and more leaning towards this becoming the eventuality. At best the guys we have look like being the B grade foot soldier mids. Not the guns we desperately need.

Not going to stop. Others can look to the positives of young players, and I can call that out as pie in the sky if the shoe fits.

I won't watch us be the worst midfield team in the comp and stay quiet. But in this instance I merely saw Bont with 8 clearances 5 minutes into the 2nd Q and thought none of the guys we have will ever reach these heights. Was on topic for a non Geelong game. Others responding made it less so after the fact.

A lot rides on this group, a lack of improvement in the next 12-24 months and it becomes a Wells/Mackie recruitment fail. And I am more and more leaning towards this becoming the eventuality. At best the guys we have look like being the B grade foot soldier mids. Not the guns we desperately need.
Agree to disagree it’s far too early to make a call either way other than to say there are signs of improvement in the individual players imo

I just see it as a pointless exercise to constantly remark on the weakness that everyone is aware of and that nothing can be done this year ..at least Danger is back which should help support somewhat and take some attention away from the other kids for period of times . I don’t think it’s as bad as what you’re making it out to be all things considering and improvements will occur eventually as most of the kids haven’t had a bulk of games in this role just yet to make a call on their future it took a long long time for the likes of Ablett and Co to show consistency in the middle and to have the physicality that is required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You directly mentioned Geelong’s midfield. Make your points but don’t try and act like you weren’t the one to bring up your agenda.

I would suggest you take up lawn bowls or something for the next couple of years.

Raging about it is not going to change it.

Reality is we were very lucky to get two top shelf elite players in via trade in Danger and Cameron and that extended our window. That level of player rarely changes club.

To get the gun guys in now we are going to need some picks at the pointy end of the draft. It is not going to be an overnight job.

Agree to disagree it’s far too early to make a call either way other than to say there are signs of improvement in the individual players imo

I just see it as a pointless exercise to constantly remark on the weakness that everyone is aware of and that nothing can be done this year ..at least Danger is back which should help support somewhat and take some attention away from the other kids for period of times . I don’t think it’s as bad as what you’re making it out to be all things considering and improvements will occur eventually as most of the kids haven’t had a bulk of games in this role just yet to make a call on their future it took a long long time for the likes of Ablett and Co to show consistency in the middle and to have the physicality that is required
It’s funny, my mum gave me the Paul McCartney album ‘Ram’, but it’s a vintage LP and when I opened it, it was scratched and cracked. I wanted to listen to it to see if it was ok but was worried about damaging the player, it’s ok though because after reading Arts posts I now know what a broken record sounds like

Of course. No one has to agree all the time.
I just see it as a pointless exercise to constantly remark on the weakness that everyone is aware of and that nothing can be done this year
To get philosophical. We could say everything we do and say on this site is a pointless exercise.
at least Danger is back which should help support somewhat and take some attention away from the other kids for period of times . I don’t think it’s as bad as what you’re making it out to be all things considering and improvements will occur eventually as most of the kids haven’t had a bulk of games in this role just yet to make a call on their future it took a long long time for the likes of Ablett and Co to show consistency in the middle and to have the physicality that is required
I am worried we will get 3 years from now and some/all will be 23-26 and only showing us Parfitt like glimpses and not actually having kicked on. The basis is that more and more these days the best young mids from the draft come in and get to that 20-25 average in year 1 and go from there. We've got guys on that lower end in years 2-4. That's my worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back