Oppo Camp Non-Fremantle general AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why bother?? Getting sick of this garbage.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news
ED JACKSON 1:58pm AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou believes Karmichael Hunt can regain his place in Gold Coast's team and he'll help the Suns keep him in the code

Haggers: It is understood that the Eagles are looking hard at drafting the Rugby League convert if he walks away from the Suns. A undisclosed Eagles coaching figure said "Karmichael will certainly lift the skill level of our midfield."

Makes me uneasy seeing the CEO of our game constantly making comments like this, though nothing will EVER beat the sheer unprofessionalism of, "I have a feeling the Swans will go alright this week".

Complaining about certain teams winning in the first week of the finals was very unprofessional too.

I used to like Vlad, but the longer he's been in the job the more he's started to blur the line between administrator and dictator/puppet-master.

He's been in the job too long and the power is starting to corrupt him imo. We need some fresh blood; I'd love to see Brian Cook given the job.

Complaining about certain teams winning in the first week of the finals was very unprofessional too.

I used to like Vlad, but the longer he's been in the job the more he's started to blur the line between administrator and dictator/puppet-master.

He's been in the job too long and the power is starting to corrupt him imo. We need some fresh blood; I'd love to see Brian Cook given the job.

Yes. To most of it. Except I never wanted Vlad.

He is getting worse and worse. When you actually take the emotion away from the switch to Simonds Stadium, jesus, it's just an appalling move. Just baffling for a competition and organisation who want to be cut-throat professional. I reckon local footy leagues would be more stringent in enforcing home grounds in finals.

I mean, you think of corrupt sports organisations. You've got FIFA right up there. Just rotten to the core with selfishness. But they're just lazy and frigid when it comes to evolution and tough decision making. The AFL are just as inept, but on the other end of the scale: their ineptitude comes via constant alterations and having their hands in absolutely everything.

But, mostly, the really depressing thing is that when Demetriou, fat prick, rolls over, his arseclown underling McLachlan will be the turd to take the throne.

Those quotes from him are quite bizarre, he's actually speaking on behalf of the Gold Coast football club as if he's part of the administration there.

"I've got a lot of time for Karmichael. He's an incredible athlete," Demetriou said.
"He had some setbacks with injury this year. He's a great person around the club - a mentor to some of the younger players. We'll do everything we can to keep him.
The fact that he masquerades his reasons for wanting him to stay as being because he's mentoring the kids that are already better than him is the biggest crock of shit that you'd have to be an idiot not to see through.. He needs to resign.

This is the main problem. I think Demetriou has done a good job overall but he has lost his way and - as you say - his professionalism. Can you imagine the NBL or NFL Commissioner speaking in these terms about a particular player or team; he would quickly be pulled into line by an owner. Run the competition fairly and transparently and don't try to play God.

This is the main problem. I think Demetriou has done a good job overall but he has lost his way and - as you say - his professionalism. Can you imagine the NBL or NFL Commissioner speaking in these terms about a particular player or team; he would quickly be pulled into line by an owner. Run the competition fairly and transparently and don't try to play God.

Agree with that. I didn't want him in the beginning but I had to concede early that he did a good job. I've reverted to my original opinion of him now though .

I don't think as Fremantle fans we noticed him as much because the club was mostly in the lower reaches of the ladder and had its own problems. The club had a near flawless year this year, and his inconsistency and tendency to make decisions on the run stood out in contrast.

His interview on TV also didn't inspire a great deal of confidence. I know you don't have to be smart to be a good footy player (hi Jako) but I think it would help.

I acknowledge it was probably his first interview and it was probably daunting.

Sonny is no rocket scientist from the interviews I've seen, but he's an incredibly smart footballer.

Wouldn't read anything into Sheed's interview technique, apart from the fact that he's boy from Kal. Good, honest, down to earth type. The WA players picked him as their captain before the under 18s, so they must have rated him as a leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Matt Priddis won the inaugural John Worsfold medal.

Anyone know why it took him so long to get to the stage to accept his award though?

Priddis plays in one of the most important areas of the ground and is an honest toiler. Clancee is also an honest toiler, but he plays a role. Criticism of Pearce is unfair but criticism of Priddis is apt. He is just not good enough for the position he plays and there is absolutely no other position on the ground that suits him/

Priddis plays in one of the most important areas of the ground and is an honest toiler. Clancee is also an honest toiler, but he plays a role. Criticism of Pearce is unfair but criticism of Priddis is apt. He is just not good enough for the position he plays and there is absolutely no other position on the ground that suits him/

The criticism should probably be leveled more at the WC coaching staff tbh. I don't mind Priddis, a hard worker and has gotten the best out of himself despite being pretty mediocre skill-wise but it's madness from WC to so inflexibly direct all their stoppages through him.

Recruiters probably deserve a bit of the blame too for not recruiting any decent inside mids for a long time, he doesn't seem to have much in the way of support.

The criticism should probably be leveled more at the WC coaching staff tbh. I don't mind Priddis, a hard worker and has gotten the best out of himself despite being pretty mediocre skill-wise but it's madness from WC to so inflexibly direct all their stoppages through him.

Recruiters probably deserve a bit of the blame too for not recruiting any decent inside mids for a long time, he doesn't seem to have much in the way of support.

Pretty hard to see which player is going to turn into a good inside mid in fairness.

Priddis isn't that bad, he'd be in our 22 i think, maybe in the 15-22 range

Pretty hard to see which player is going to turn into a good inside mid in fairness.

Priddis isn't that bad, he'd be in our 22 i think, maybe in the 15-22 range

More like 27-32 range. Just can't see who he would keep out.
The next one in would be Morabito, straight after Sylvia and we still have Crozier and Sheridan pushing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back