Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His first game stats looked OK.

2 goals in an away win v WB

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think for his first goal he clinked a decent contested mark in a 1v1. Kicked another goal in the first or second QTR and was then unsighted as the Dogs almost ran us down from 51 points back. It was the game Cox missed because of the tennis ball to the eye.

View attachment 1716236
As the years go by this bloke will shoot quickly to number 1 on that list.

The annoying part as well is the campaigner can play too

I miss Reddens general spitefulness on the field.

Must recruit a couple of nasty's in the next couple of drafts.

Another day, another baffling tackle suspension.

GC guy ducks into a tackle, Carlton guy tackles him around the shoulders & falls to ground.
Doesn't appear to hit head on the ground, yet somehow gets a 1 week suspension.

Have they ever had as many tribunal hearings in a season as this one? The state of footy ops is a shambles - there is a massive disconnect between what the league wants and the ability of the players to comply. Probably not helped by the fact they still don't have a permanent footy ops manager.

Gil needs to **** off ASAP and the new guy needs to get the house in order.

Another day, another baffling tackle suspension.

GC guy ducks into a tackle, Carlton guy tackles him around the shoulders & falls to ground.
Doesn't appear to hit head on the ground, yet somehow gets a 1 week suspension.

Seemingly a player has no duty of care for himself.

Rubbish decision, but at least the umpire didn't pay a free thus encouraging players to put themselves in danger of ending up in a wheelchair.

In contrast the sling tackle overreaction is encouraging certain players to attempt to put their head in contact with the ground when tackled.

Case point being Jordan Clark who is becoming the Michael Walters of this action (keep an eye on him next time you watch a Jetty Lickers clown show).

Being reported Barry Cable will be removed from the AFL Hall of Fame after his recent court case.

Begs the question about others in there like Nicholls, Ablett sr and Carey

I'm not condoning any actions here (and I really have to try and seperate the two as I know Barry quite well) however his contributions to not only the AFL but WAFL and junior football programs is at nigh on AFL legend status. Removing him from the AFL hall of fame would be a disgrace.

The reason for a civil case which he was convicted of as opposed to a criminal one is two-fold.
1. Potential money and
2. Burden of proof. In a criminal case the person has to be deemed guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, in a civil trial the burden of proof is much, much lower. To sum it up on a basic level it's just whatever is more likely of the two options.

I'm not condoning any actions here (and I really have to try and seperate the two as I know Barry quite well) however his contributions to not only the AFL but WAFL and junior football programs is at nigh on AFL legend status. Removing him from the AFL hall of fame would be a disgrace.

The reason for a civil case which he was convicted of as opposed to a criminal one is two-fold.
1. Potential money and
2. Burden of proof. In a criminal case the person has to be deemed guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, in a civil trial the burden of proof is much, much lower. To sum it up on a basic level it's just whatever is more likely of the two options.

Cable declared bankruptcy a few years ago, the victim proceeded with the case knowing that she probably wasn't going to get much from him

He's also had 5 people accuse him, it's not just the one person

You may have a soft spot for him and he's done a lot for the game, but it's hard to defend him for those actions.

Last edited:

1. Potential money and
I still see him as the greatest indigenous player.

Cable declared bankruptcy a few years ago, the victim proceeded with the case knowing that she probably wasn't going to get much from him

He's also had 5 people accuse him, it's not just the one person

You may have a soft spot for him and he's done a lot for the game, but it's hard to defend him for those actions.

The victim also tried for a long time to get the cops to do something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having said that, I'm uncomfortable with a moral element being introduced into the HoF criteria, if only because of the inevitable question of where the line will be drawn. It may be more appropriate to place an addendum on his entry.

I'm fine with the line being somewhere between this and being caught at Crown with white powder in small plastic bags.

I personally just think in all these cases you need to separate the football contribution with the rest of their life. If the person is already in the HOF then don't worry about it but in someone like Cable's case it would stop imo an elevation to legend status. If they aren't there yet but are deserving on the basis of their football contribution then keep it to a time where they have done the time, become a redemption story before induction.

I want to point out I am in no way defending any allegations against him proven or otherwise, I still firmly believe however that sport and sporting achievements and other areas of life should be kept separate.

TI is the greatest indigenous player i've seen play and I ****ing hate SF.

I personally just think in all these cases you need to separate the football contribution with the rest of their life. If the person is already in the HOF then don't worry about it but in someone like Cable's case it would stop imo an elevation to legend status. If they aren't there yet but are deserving on the basis of their football contribution then keep it to a time where they have done the time, become a redemption story before induction.

I want to point out I am in no way defending any allegations against him proven or otherwise, I still firmly believe however that sport and sporting achievements and other areas of life should be kept separate.

TI is the greatest indigenous player i've seen play and I ******* hate SF.

Cable has already been inducted as a legend- there’s a case for removing his legend status but retaining him in the Hall of Fame

I’m on the fence on whether that’s the right option though as the victims claims which were accepted by the court are quite horrific

So did Curtis from North Melbourne receive any sanction for kicking and fracturing Jones's arm and putting him out for 10 weeks?
Bloke accidentally hits his head on the ground in a tackle = tackler suspended
Bloke gets his arm snapped by someone booting it = no case to answer

League is cooked

TI is the greatest indigenous player i've seen play and I ******* hate SF.
Like Trucko and Phil I am a bit uncomfortable about entering moral elements into this.
If someone does or has done something criminal, then criminally charge them or sue them or whatever.

And Phil, TI? If SF is South Freo, for me SM in the best indigenous player I have seen for them, but overall I was lucky enough to see the end of PF's career at WP in 70-71 as the best indigenous player of all time.

I personally just think in all these cases you need to separate the football contribution with the rest of their life.
I suppose you also think that if Barry Hall polled the most Brownlow votes (lol) during the year that he knocked out Brent Staker, he should have been given the medal? It's not much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back