Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So back to relating a post to a posters club?

This thread is about a player being anointed as a goat, his performances having nothing to do with results of other games, or players that haven't been bestowed of such an honour
Sorry couldn't resist

Bont is more impressive because he took a contested grab before he kicked his goal? Sure, I guess Nick has never cut open defences with beautiful goals on the run in the last quarter. Never done that ever.

Also extremely odd to isolate that game as why he is not “that guy”. A game where he won 16 first possessions, gathered 27 contested possessions with his 32 disposals and two goals.

That performance is arguably his finest ever and one most midfielders at AFL level could only dream of.

That game was Daicos versus WB. He was so good early that Bont resorted to tagging him for a quarter.

That game was Daicos versus WB. He was so good early that Bont resorted to tagging him for a quarter.
It’s quite staggering that that game is trying to be used against Nick. It was the young maestro v the old. The young was superlative and the old even better. Two stunning displays. It’s about where this thread has gone with the juvenile attempts to limit praise.

Base summary is Nick has has if not the best then very close to the best first 3 seasons of any player for the last 50 years. That’s an opinion, not a fact, but an opinion the vast majority of knowledgeable football would agree on.

Therefore it’s not unreasonable with such a start to speculate he could one day be the GOAT. Now my guess is he probably doesn’t but I would be pretty sure he will end up Collingwoods GOAT. Not many 3rd year players you would say that about

Last edited:
And you're attempting to label others as "juvenile".

Downright embarrassing. :$
If you don’t agree with the bolded debate it. I suggest you will find a few you might put up with him, not many. But I would love you to find me one who could be clearly labelled better. I have tried to be level with my opinion but few here really want to discuss this. Do you?

He miswrote - he meant the best first 3 seasons, which is a reasonable claim. Personally, I'd stick to the draft era, as greatest of all time can't really be judged by anyone.

There's little doubt that he's tracking to be one of the best of the modern era. The best? Looks possible to me. He's elite in so many traits. The question mark for me depends as much on the evolution of the game as on Nick's evolution. As the greats of the modern era have all been more powerful than Nick looks like becoming - but the game is trending towards skill and agility.

He miswrote - he meant the best first 3 seasons, which is a reasonable claim. Personally, I'd stick to the draft era, as greatest of all time can't really be judged by anyone.

There's little doubt that he's tracking to be one of the best of the modern era. The best? Looks possible to me. He's elite in so many traits. The question mark for me depends as much on the evolution of the game as on Nick's evolution. As the greats of the modern era have all been more powerful than Nick looks like becoming - but the game is trending towards skill and agility.
Oops. Sorry that is best 1st 3 seasons. Clearly not the best 3 seasons of all time or anywhere near that.

Tagged him? Didn't Bont have about 20 touches and kick 2 goals in the 2nd half lmao 😂😂😂
Did you watch the game? Nick massacred them in the first quarter with about 6 really dangerous centre square clearances in a quarter - we should have been lots of goals up at quarter time but missed some gimmes and gave away a couple of dumb ones. In the second quarter, Bont reverted to not going for clearances and just pushing Daicos through the clearance and off the line of the ball. Nick got worn down as Crisp was our only other AFL standard mid in that game and Treloar and Bont cut us apart in the last quarter - with Bont getting a heap of his possessions and a goal or two in that last quarter. They were bboth awesome in that game - but yes Bont showed he was the more complete player at this stage. He did it all - took clunks in front of goal - shut down the opposition star when he was on fire - and linked up and set up goals magnificently. Bont is the better player at this stage, but this thread isn't about the here and now - it's about guessing the future.

Sorry I agree if my mistake wasn’t considered. Meant best 1st 3 seasons

Did you watch the game? Nick massacred them in the first quarter with about 6 really dangerous centre square clearances in a quarter - we should have been lots of goals up at quarter time but missed some gimmes and gave away a couple of dumb ones. In the second quarter, Bont reverted to not going for clearances and just pushing Daicos through the clearance and off the line of the ball. Nick got worn down as Crisp was our only other AFL standard mid in that game and Treloar and Bont cut us apart in the last quarter - with Bont getting a heap of his possessions and a goal or two in that last quarter. They were bboth awesome in that game - but yes Bont showed he was the more complete player at this stage. He did it all - took clunks in front of goal - shut down the opposition star when he was on fire - and linked up and set up goals magnificently. Bont is the better player at this stage, but this thread isn't about the here and now - it's about guessing the future.
Bont who had 8 clearances in the 2nd half wasn't going for clearances...?? U Pies fans are hilarious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don’t agree with the bolded debate it. I suggest you will find a few you might put up with him, not many. But I would love you to find me one who could be clearly labelled better. I have tried to be level with my opinion but few here really want to discuss this. Do you?

Its been debated for 10 pages then mocked for 300 more because it is ridiculous. Ridiculous as a first post and ridiculous that a handful of die hards continue to argue it.

The thread would die the death it deserves if you lot didnt take the bait every single time.

Bont who had 8 clearances in the 2nd half wasn't going for clearances...?? U Pies fans are hilarious
You didn't watch the game did you? He wasn't going for clearances in the second quarter. He hooked onto Nick and just worked him under the ball drop at stoppage. Then Treloar played on Nick in the second half.

You didn't watch the game did you? He wasn't going for clearances in the second quarter. He hooked onto Nick and just worked him under the ball drop at stoppage. Then Treloar played on Nick in the second half.
I watched the game when it was on. Bont decided to play off Nick in the 2nd half because he realized every tap was going to him so he just ran to him and beat him in the contest over and over again and turned the game on it's head.

Nothing even close to a tag. Just beaten plain and simple.

I watched the game when it was on. Bont decided to play off Nick in the 2nd half because he realized every tap was going to him so he just ran to him and beat him in the contest over and over again and turned the game on it's head.

Nothing even close to a tag. Just beaten plain and simple.

You should watch it again as I don't think you understood what occurred. My analogy would be to cricket. Nick bowled an incredible opening spell and Bont made one of the great brilliantly paced hundreds. He took all the strike off Nick in the middle session and wore him down defensively. Then it was actually Treloar who feasted on a worn down Nick in the final quarter with Bont featsing on the rest of the Collingwood bowlers.

Slagging off Nick for that game is akin to slagging off a Hadlee 7 for in a losing team.

Its been debated for 10 pages then mocked for 300 more because it is ridiculous. Ridiculous as a first post and ridiculous that a handful of die hards continue to argue it.

The thread would die the death it deserves if you lot didnt take the bait every single time.
Alright just remind me of your list of players who have clearly had a better 1st 3 seasons than Daicos?

It's been mocked by people who seem to think that a 21 year old is a finished product. Pointing to him getting beaten by Bont as something definitive is ridiculous.

In his 6th year in the NBA, Michael Jordan got beaten up in the playoffs by Isiah Thomas. He'd been a fantastic player for a few years, but it wasn't until his 7th year that he really began the stretch of dominance that makes many consider him to be basketball's GOAT.

The whole thread is a guess about the future, but one things for sure - Nick's tracking towards being a modern great. I've had the privelege of watching the entirety of the careers of a couple of Collingwood's best ever in Buckley and Pendlebury - I'd be surprised if Nick doesn't end up a fair bit better. In which case getting to or above the Matthews, Carey level is a definite possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back