Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say the pile on here by posters wanting to crack into Nick makes it clear how much he worries others. Was far from his best game last night but if he wasn’t Collingwoods best last night he was close. There wasn’t anyone very good for us but Sidney maybe gets a coaches vote and Nick next after that for me. Ess players should get about 28 of the 30 coaches votes

Pro tip, this thread isn’t about Nick Daicos it’s about the Collingwood nuffies who started a goat thread about a 20yr old who is statistically no better than Cheezles from North.

The difference being cheezles has done it in a bottom of the ladder side with limited to no help from those around him + is much more physical than Nick.

Pro tip, this thread isn’t about Nick Daicos it’s about the Collingwood nuffies who started a goat thread about a 20yr old who is statistically no better than Cheezles from North.

The difference being cheezles has done it in a bottom of the ladder side with limited to no help from those around him + is much more physical than Nick.

Daicos seems a fair bit better to me.

Inside midfielders.

If you are just rolling in off HB or playing on the wing as an outside link up players you wont have many CBAs.

From R8, GOATcos was given the keys to become Collingwood's #1 inside midfielder.

Since becoming the #1 inside midfielder, GOATcos has had a game with 27 contested possessions - he has had 7 of his 9 games with over 15 CPs. In his first 54 games he only had over 15 CPs 5 times.

Similar with clearnaces, since becoming #1 inside midfielder, he has had a game with 16 clearances - and had 7 of his 9 games with 7 or more clearances. In his first 54 games he only had 7 or more clearances 9 times.

Crippa aint had 27 CPs or 16 clearances in a game this year...no shame really, as GOATcos is special.

No bending required, since being played as a #1 inside mid, GOATcos has shown he is the best stoppage player in the game.
Right... So he had the most contested possessions in a game this year by 1 and he had the equal 4th most clearances in a game this year... Once again... What RECORDS has he broken?

7/9 games with 15 CP's is great... Cripps is averaging 15.3 over 16 games this season
16 clearances in a game is great... Rowell had 20 against Richmond, Libba had 19 vs the Cats, Serong had 17 vs the Dogs...

Reality is Daicos hasn't broken any records... Pies fans just want to gargle his bathwater and declare him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Truth Facts GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Right... So he had the most contested possessions in a game this year by 1 and he had the equal 4th most clearances in a game this year... Once again... What RECORDS has he broken?
Most ever contested possessions and clearances in a game for Collingwood.

Most AFL coaches votes in a 5 games stretch - when he was given the #1 mid gig.
7/9 games with 15 CP's is great... Cripps is averaging 15.3 over 16 games this season
Give GOATcos a full season as #1 inside mid and his numbers would be higher.

Crippa had a lead of 30-40 CPs in early season when GOATcos wasnt given the #1 inside mid role. Gap has now closed to 13.

16 clearances in a game is great... Rowell had 20 against Richmond, Libba had 19 vs the Cats, Serong had 17 vs the Dogs...
Better than great, tis fecking elite.

GOATcos hadn't even played 50 games before this season started.

Given the #1 inside mid role early in season 3, and has already clocked up 5 games of 10 or more clearances.
Reality is Daicos hasn't broken any records... Pies fans just want to gargle his bathwater and declare him the greatest thing since sliced bread.
He has, all Pie records.

And as a 3rd year player he is already on par with GAJ contested and clearance personal bests.

GOATcos has managed to turn the Blue Bagger brigade green with envy.

Most ever contested possessions and clearances in a game for Collingwood.

Most AFL coaches votes in a 5 games stretch - when he was given the #1 mid gig.

Give GOATcos a full season as #1 inside mid and his numbers would be higher.

Crippa had a lead of 30-40 CPs in early season when GOATcos wasnt given the #1 inside mid role. Gap has now closed to 13.

Better than great, tis fecking elite.

GOATcos hadn't even played 50 games before this season started.

Given the #1 inside mid role early in season 3, and has already clocked up 5 games of 10 or more clearances.

He has, all Pie records.

And as a 3rd year player he is already on par with GAJ contested and clearance personal bests.

GOATcos has managed to turn the Blue Bagger brigade green with envy.
No we're just laughing at the immense amount of spin u lot are doing to try and convince everyone how amazing he is.

He broke some Collingwood records... Wow. Incredible!

Nicky must be so proud of himself as his team plummets down the ladder! Perhaps if he was willing to buy in defensively instead of sticking to his usual figjam antics his team wouldn't be going so poorly :)

No we're just laughing at the immense amount of spin u lot are doing to try and convince everyone how amazing he is.
No need for spinning, his record speaks for itself.

The sad thing is that as his supposed previous flaws (winning his own pill, and being influential at the coal face) are now shown as strenghts, envious Bagger posters now pile on any time he isn't a clear BOG as they have nothing left to criticise.

It is almost as if they think GAJ never had a quiet game. Unlike GOATcos, GAJ wasn't anything special in season 2 or 3.

Perhaps if he was willing to buy in defensively instead of sticking to his usual figjam antics his team wouldn't be going so poorly :)
He has increased his defensive rating again in 2024, to now be the Pies 2nd best pressure player in 2024. GoATcos avg more pressure acts than Bont and Crippa in 2024.

No need for spinning, his record speaks for itself.

The sad thing is that as his supposed previous flaws (winning his own pill, and being influential at the coal face) are now shown as strenghts, envious Bagger posters now pile on any time he isn't a clear BOG as they have nothing left to criticise.
The thing is , if Nick does an amazing handball, or a baulk, or kicks a good goal, you posters are the first ones to pile on here celebrating his greatness.
Indeed, it's a sad thing

Nicky must be so proud of himself as his team plummets down the ladder! Perhaps if he was willing to buy in defensively instead of sticking to his usual figjam antics his team wouldn't be going so poorly :)
Here we go... more tying yourself I knots.

In one thread, Collingwood are a one man team and would be fubared without GOATcos.

Now you're saying if he was better, his team would be getting better results?

You've really got to make up your mind - which one is it?

Heres a pro tip. If you put up a meme screaming FACTS, the post you are referencing should be facts not opinion

Arguments go down the drain when you misinterpret an opinion for a fact.

Here is an example

Opinion "a 20 yo who is no better statistically than Sheezels from North"

Fact "Harry Sheezel has taken more marks than Nick Daicos in 2024"

Sorry but its a bugbear of mine when people call opinion facts. Your arguments will be much stronger if you don't make this mistake.

Heres a pro tip. If you put up a meme screaming FACTS, the post you are referencing should be facts not opinion

Arguments go down the drain when you misinterpret an opinion for a fact.

Here is an example

Opinion "a 20 yo who is no better statistically than Sheezels from North"

Fact "Harry Sheezel has taken more marks than Nick Daicos in 2024"

Sorry but its a bugbear of mine when people call opinion facts. Your arguments will be much stronger if you don't make this mistake.
Unfortunately, I fear your expectations are far too high here...

Thanks for the pro tip. Sorry up until this point I hadn't recognised your posting was at the expert level.

Still here is an opinion from a mere mortal. This thread is actually pretty simple to explain. The detractors have been furious in their recent efforts to create tangents to avoid addressing the real question. My favorite was the significance a few wanted to attach to Nicks lack of contested marks. As an aside guess how many contested marks Lachie Neale took last year when he won the Brownlow.

Nick Daicos's 1st 2 seasons were of a quality few if any have matched in the modern era. That was the basis for the question being asked "Can he be GOAT". Since the thread was started he has only strengthened the argument by again being in the best handful of players for the season. Its extremely rare, I would say has not occurred previously, that a player in the modern era has been this good at career start. I accept that Sheezel also comes into the argument.

So what the case for the negative should be arguing is "No, there are many players who have had a career starts as good or better than Nick so the question whether he should be considered as a potential GOAT, even though it is very early, is a furphy"

Let me hear your list of players who equal or surpass Nicks season 1 and 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the pro tip. Sorry up until this point I hadn't recognised your posting was at the expert level.

Still here is an opinion from a mere mortal. This thread is actually pretty simple to explain. The detractors have been furious in their recent efforts to create tangents to avoid addressing the real question. My favorite was the significance a few wanted to attach to Nicks lack of contested marks. As an aside guess how many contested marks Lachie Neale took last year when he won the Brownlow.

Nick Daicos's 1st 2 seasons were of a quality few if any have matched in the modern era. That was the basis for the question being asked "Can he be GOAT". Since the thread was started he has only strengthened the argument by again being in the best handful of players for the season. Its extremely rare, I would say has not occurred previously, that a player in the modern era has been this good at career start. I accept that Sheezel also comes into the argument.

So what the case for the negative should be arguing is "No, there are many players who have had a career starts as good or better than Nick so the question whether he should be considered as a potential GOAT, even though it is very early, is a furphy"

Let me hear your list of players who equal or surpass Nicks season 1 and 2.

That’s ok at least now you know.

Cheezles from North is as good as Daicos playing in a spoon team with no support.

I mean I’m all for this thread, it’s like moths to a flame.

I will tip off here with a comparison of the modern great players and compare their career starts. Of these only GAJ has a place in GOAT discussions IMHO. Restricted to non KPPs/talls as the others take time.

GAJ clearly no
Judd no
Danger clearly no
Fyfe no
Martin no
Neale clearly no
Bont clearly no
Pendles clearly no
Voss clearly no
Buckley closer but started older
Riccuito clearly no
Harvey B clearly no
Harvey R clearly no
Williams close but started older
Mitchell clearly no

So this is the question for this thread. Does this player after 2 seasons look better that the great modern mids looked after 2 seasons. The answer to me is a resounding yes. On that basis its reasonable to speculate could this be a career start that will turn into a career that will lead to GOAT discussion. I would say he has done as much as he could in 2 seasons which has now translated to 3 to answer in the affirmative.

Cheezles from North is as good as Daicos playing in a spoon team with no support.
So the likes of Wardlaw and LDU are no good?

If the North hierarchy agree with that, we'll take them at Collingwood...

I also think you're conveniently forgetting North haven't been winning games, despite Sheezel's efforts, whereas Collingwood have been winning games, and have generally been very competitive in the games they've lost, primarily courtesy of Daicos, who has been his team's best player in circa 13 of the 17 games played this season.

Last edited:

I mean I’m all for this thread, it’s like moths to a flame.
I agree Sheezel has also been sensational and merits the same discussion. I would still have Daicos ahead but they are in the same ballpark. Both have career starts that leave them in front of what the modern greats of the game achieved. Thats the question you need to discuss. How do they compare with the 1st 2 seasons of the greats. Answer "They are better"

It's amazing how people overlook the fact the day Nick Daicos walked in the door at Collingwood, they had just finished 17th and were bound for minimum 5 years in the bottom 4 due to the issues with their list.

For those who disagree with me, or fail to recall, go back and read the posts between August 2021 and March 2022...

'But, but, but...Nick has benefited from playing in a top team...'

It's amazing how people overlook the fact the day Nick Daicos walked in the door at Collingwood, they had just finished 17th and were bound for minimum 5 years in the bottom 4 due to the issues with their list.

For those who disagree with me, or fail to recall, go back and read the posts between August 2021 and March 2022...

'But, but, but...Nick has benefited from playing in a top team...'

Or maybe it was that Collingwood had an already experienced list with plenty of good players and had severely underperformed under Figjam.

Wasn’t McRae appointed for the 2022 season? Perhaps it had something to do with the change in coach and gameplan rather than an 18 year old.

Cheezles was just as good in his first year yet North didn’t magically go from last to top 4.

Maybe it’s the phases of the moon.

We may never know.

Or maybe it was that Collingwood had an already experienced list with plenty of good players and had severely underperformed under Figjam.

Wasn’t McRae appointed for the 2022 season? Perhaps it had something to do with the change in coach and gameplan rather than an 18 year old.
No, a new coach wasn't going to save Collingwood - refresh your memory by looking at the many posts on the topic at the time...

No, a new coach wasn't going to save Collingwood - refresh your memories by looking at the many posts on the topic at the time...
Now we're saying it all over again, that's what Bigfooty is all about, put your big boy pants on mate.

No, a new coach wasn't going to save Collingwood - refresh your memory by looking at the many posts on the topic at the time...

I think we just solved the riddle Fadgey. Your issue is likely that you’re treating posts on bigfooty as fact and a representation of reality.

Glad to be of service.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back