List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs push for more access to own NGA talent amid review

Clubs push for more access to own NGA talent amid review​

The AFL is reviewing the Next Generation Academy program after several iterations over the years

THE ACCESS clubs have to Next Generation Academy players in the draft is part of the wide review of the program being undertaken by the AFL.

The League is looking at the next phase of the NGAs, which were introduced in 2016 and have had several iterations in terms of clubs' ability to select the Academy products in the draft.

Currently clubs are unable to match Academy bids on NGA players inside the top-40 selections of the draft, seeing the best prospects off-limits to their NGA clubs.

That was increased from the top-20 in 2021, following the new set of rules being established in 2020 after the Western Bulldogs landed Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with pick No.1 as a NGA product.
\

St Kilda last year was unable to draft NGA prospect Cam Mackenzie while Melbourne also missed out on priority access to Mac Andrew in 2021 under the revised rules.

Clubs have provided feedback about finding the balance between them investing in the NGA, which was designed to increase Indigenous and multicultural representation at the top level, and also having greater access to players in the draft. There has been a push to return to a smaller protected band of the draft, with a view the top-40 means too many players are off-limits.

Any potential changes to more draft access for NGA players would not be for the 2023 intake.

The review is also looking at how diversity programs and those pathways fit into the NGA system around the competition and finding a model that meets the AFL's ambition but also incentivises club investment.

Clubs push for more access to own NGA talent amid review

Clubs push for more access to own NGA talent amid review​

The AFL is reviewing the Next Generation Academy program after several iterations over the years
Well that’s a surprise!…

it’s almost as if the AFL made the change because they saw Isacc Keeler on the horizon and thought “geez, he could end up being pick 1… can’t have the crows easy access to that”.. so they changed the rules for the next two years, the second and most strict being Isaac’s draft year..

now they’ll change them back..

Geelong probably has a couple of great NGA prospects on the horizon..

cynical I know.. but would you put it past them?.. especially after signing off that pick 7 deal for their darling club last year..

The academies should be run by the AFL and all players available through the open draft
The fxxkn draft should go altogether and just get ultra strict on enforcing the salary cap.

the NRL has no dramas with equalisation and it doesn’t have a draft.. and it’s teams have feeder clubs..

Well that’s a surprise!…

it’s almost as if the AFL made the change because they saw Isacc Keeler on the horizon and thought “geez, he could end up being pick 1… can’t have the crows easy access to that”.. so they changed the rules for the next two years, the second and most strict being Isaac’s draft year..

now they’ll change them back..

Geelong probably has a couple of great NGA prospects on the horizon..

cynical I know.. but would you put it past them?.. especially after signing off that pick 7 deal for their darling club last year..
The club that got screwed was Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it should be players after the first round, every team deserves a first round pick. The AFL are just too soft and let all these loop holes go. They should say that if you don’t have a pick in that round, that you would lose you the player.
Instead team trade away a top 10 pick for 8 third round pick with more points. The AFL need to stop changing rules every year. No other sport does this, especially with bringing players in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Top 20 or first round (whatever that is these days) makes sense to me. Gives clubs enough incentive to invest in their NGA while it also doesn’t allow a JUH situation to happen again
I reacon they make it top 5..

So the clubs thay are currently shit have access but not a club that is on the up or at the top end of the ladder..

The academies should be run by the AFL and all players available through the open draft
I think the opposite, all clubs should have academy's like the northern teams to maximise development of the kids coming through. Every club then gets the option of matching picks in the draft for every academy player outside the top 10 picks, no matching inside the top 10. Alongside this run a national 18 comp which all the academy's have a team in, this should be televised on Foxtel to pay for it, pretty sure they would get the views to justify.
edit: On top of this run a national reserves comp, the top up in the reserves comes from the u18 academy's.

Yeah not sure what's going on with him. May be injury or fitness issue.

I did hear he was training with seniors though, but haven't seen him listed in the trials yet.
They’ll play him in the seniors the flogs… so it stops him from going and playing for the crows next year..

They’ll play him in the seniors the flogs… so it stops him from going and playing for the crows next year..

If he is that talented...

After all such a decision isn't made out of spite.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back