NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

What ever happened to the Donnybrook Dragons????? they all playing cricket in winter too??

Was supposed to be a new Junior Club entering the league last year??
Created an account just to reply to this, hence first post.

I live in the area and my partner was one of the first commitee members.

Donnybrook Dragons has gone nowhere fast because since inception;
  • Committee could not be in more disarray if they tried, 3 different presidents in first 2 years... very strong opinion on some committee members completely horrible decision making (for a club that basically didn't exist) that I won't voice here.
  • Ground still not finished that started development over 2 years ago, although club rooms appear complete. Apparently the landscaper company folded, so the developer is just sitting on it. Doubt the council is in a rush to do anything either... they'll gladly wait for someone else to pay for it $$$
  • Netball side won a flag in their first season, a team of mums - folded the next year, no support from the committee. Netball is now only 2 or 3 junior sides.
  • Seems the only football interest so far is Auskick level. Zero junior teams.
Long way off (easily looking at another 10 years) any signs of fielding a senior team. Anyone playing footy who lives in the area is at Craigieburn/Mernda/Laurimar.

As raised by many other people, the area is dominated by "cricket fans" - just watch the demographic piling off the V/Line train in the afternoon.
I'm sure the kids would be chomping at the bit to play, but their parents probably brainwash them into thinking they'll get killed playing footy... I had some stitches in my head from a footy injury and my neighbour asking me about it thought I was lucky to be alive... I thought he was taking the piss but he was dead serious.

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone interested as there's a lot of discussion around moving Lalor/Reservoir. It won't save them, Wollert might as well be a sister-city to the subcontinent. I'm sure anyone with kids in primary school in the area could tell you that. Hume "Anglican" Grammar in Donnybrook have basically dropped the "Anglican" as there's definitely no Christians going there.

And this might be someone else's opinion, but people from the "cricket fan" background really don't seem to buy into any clubroom culture. This is second hand info from people I know who've had to share clubrooms with them around cricket season...

A lot of concern for juniors here. Why don't the people in this forum start a non for profit community organisation that helps gets kids connected to struggling local junior clubs?

• Committee could not be in more disarray if they tried, 3 different presidents in first 2 years... very strong opinion on some committee members completely horrible decision making (for a club that basically didn't exist) that I won't voice here.
  • Ground still not finished that started development over 2 years ago, although club rooms appear complete. Apparently the landscaper company folded, so the developer is just sitting on it. Doubt the council is in a rush to do anything either... they'll gladly wait for someone else to pay for it $$$
  • Netball side won a flag in their first season, a team of mums - folded the next year, no support from the committee. Netball is now only 2 or 3 junior sides.
Long way off (easily looking at another 10 years) any signs of fielding a senior team. Anyone playing footy who lives in the area is at Craigieburn/Mernda/Laurimar.

As raised by many other people, the area is dominated by "cricket fans" - just watch the demographic piling off the V/Line train in the afternoon.
I'm sure the kids would be chomping at the bit to play, but their parents probably brainwash them into thinking they'll get killed playing footy... I had some stitches in my head from a footy injury and my neighbour asking me about it thought I was lucky to be alive... I thought he was taking the piss but he was dead serious.

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone interested as there's a lot of discussion around moving Lalor/Reservoir. It won't save them, Wollert might as well be a sister-city to the subcontinent. I'm sure anyone with kids in primary school in the area could tell you that. Hume "Anglican" Grammar in Donnybrook have basically dropped the "Anglican" as there's definitely no Christians going there.

And this might be someone else's opinion, but people from the "cricket fan" background really don't seem to buy into any clubroom culture. This is second hand info from people I know who've had to share clubrooms with them around cricket season...
Wow!! Really appreciate your time and effort to respond. Sad story but a reality we probably all thought would happen.

Yep “Demographics” Has hurt other clubs like jacana and glenroy but the other kind of “demographics”

The traditional demographics in many Northern suburbs previously leant themselves to other sports - i.e. soccer....

Plenty of powerhouse local teams built around those communities, will just take a bit of time for the generation growing up here to catch up.

The traditional demographics in many Northern suburbs previously leant themselves to other sports - i.e. soccer....

Plenty of powerhouse local teams built around those communities, will just take a bit of time for the generation growing up here to catch up.

Local footy is struggling to get the numbers it once did across the board - more and more teams will go by the wayside in the future

I agree completely that local footy is dwindling, but I think you'll find more and more kids of different "demographics" playing auskick/junior footy in those suburbs, as they did with previous immigrant generations.

Round 14 tips

Old Eltham (5th) vs Laurimar (1st) Old Eltham would be rueing last weeks one point loss to Heidelberg West as they are now outside the top 4 with games against Laurimar, Kinglake (away), Reservoir (away) and Kilmore to play with a bye as well. Again it was Williamson and Milne who kicked 7 out of 9 goals, they are the only two Old Eltham players to kick more than 10 goals this season so far with 47 and 25 respectively. Next best is Jake Tyson with 8 goals. The Power were pushed all the way by a gallant Fitzroy stars with N Andrews again showing his class with a BOG performance. The evenness of the Power forward line with 8 players kicking more than 10 goals makes them such a difficult match up. Games between these 2 sides have always been close encounters but Power to get another important 4 points. Laurimar by 13 points

Kilmore (6th) vs Heidelberg West (4th) Both sides coming off wins last week, Kilmore with a great defensive effort in keeping Reservoir goalless and Heidelberg West jumping into the top 4 after a thrilling one point win over Old Eltham. Last times these two sides met it was a 2 point win to Kilmore and back at JJ Clancy they would love to do the double and disrupt West’s chance of getting that elusive senior finals birth. West though seem to be getting players back from injury at the right time of the year. Coach Missen will have them ready and won’t want to slip up against a side that won’t be playing finals in 2023. Heidelberg West by 16 points

Fitzroy Stars (7th) vs Kinglake (2nd) The stars again played some terrific footy last week but still weren’t able to get the 4 points. This week they are back on their home deck and would fancy their chances of beating 2nd placed Kinglake. The Lakers again flexed their muscles at home with a thumping 221 point win over a battling Lalor. The challenge though for the Lakers is winning away from home, they have lost to both Old Eltham and Mernda away from Kinglake Memorial oval. Danger game for the Lakers, upset alert is definitely on. Kinglake by 7 points

Mernda (3rd) vs Reservoir (8th) The demons will look for a percentage booster against a struggling Reaervoir and if either Laurimar or Kinglake go down they will jump they will jump back up into the all important double chance. Mernda easily at home by 111 points

Enjoy the footy

Last edited:
Round 14 tips

Old Eltham (5th) vs Laurimar (1st) Old Eltham would be rueing last weeks one point loss to Heidelberg West as they are now outside the top 4 with games against Laurimar, Kinglake (away), Reservoir (away) and Kilmore to play with a bye as well. Again it was Williamson and Milne who kicked 7 out of 9 goals, they are the only two Old Eltham players to kick more than 10 goals this season so far with 47 and 25 respectively. Next best is Jake Tyson with 8 goals. The Power were pushed all the way by a gallant Fitzroy stars with N Andrews again showing his class with a BOG performance. The evenness of the Power forward line with 8 players kicking more than 10 goals makes them such a difficult match up. Games between these 2 sides have always been close encounters but Power to get another important 4 points. Laurimar by 13 points

Kilmore (6th) vs Heidelberg West (4th) Both sides coming off wins last week, Kilmore with a great defensive effort in keeping Reservoir goalless and Heidelberg West jumping into the top 4 after a thrilling one point win over Old Eltham. Last times these two sides met it was a 2 point win to Kilmore and back at JJ Clancy they would love to do the double and disrupt West’s chance of getting that elusive senior finals birth. West though seem to be getting players back from injury at the right time of the year. Coach Missen will have them ready and won’t want to slip up against a side that won’t be playing finals in 2023. Heidelberg West by 16 points

Fitzroy Stars (7th) vs Kinglake (2nd) The stars again played some terrific footy last week but still weren’t able to get the 4 points. This week they are back on their home deck and would fancy their chances of beating 2nd placed Kinglake. The Lakers again flexed their muscles at home with a thumping 221 point win over a battling Lalor. The challenge though for the Lakers is winning away from home, they have lost to both Old Eltham and Mernda away from Kinglake Memorial oval. Danger game for the Lakers, upset alert is definitely on. Kinglake by 7 points

Mernda (3rd) vs Reservoir (8th) The felons will look for a percentage booster against a struggling Reaervoir and if either Laurimar or Kinglake go down they will jump they will jump back up into the all important double chance. Mernda easily at home by 111 points

Enjoy the footy
The Felons 😆😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back