Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he knows about leadership isn't enough to piss on.
Appointing someone as a transition is EXACTLY what the club/players should do.
Imagine being a Max Holmes or whichever young player they think could be Captain, and having to follow directly after the Greatest Captain of all time...
Our future captain has just been drafted.

Give it to a few elder statesman until he's ready.

And why wouldn't you listen to this flog? After all his trophy cabinet contains the 2004 preseason cup and....ahhhh... sweet f@#kall else. And his only other claim to fame is the invention of flooding... truly inspired :rolleyes:
I thought it was Terry Wallace with the Bulldogs that instigated flooding against Essendon in 2000, when they were almost unbeatable. I'm happy to be corrected

Vdubs and everyone else -

Scoured the internet/Twitter/FB, and it's definitely fake. No evidence from searches of anything to do with Danger, Geelong, Cats, captain etc. Found this comment in response to Grant Thomas' tweet:

Screenshot_20230202-171204_Chrome.jpg

What an absolute loser. Responds negatively to a club who just won their 4th flag in 16 years, and finished their 15th Finals campaign out of 16, in the last 16 years...being from a club who has 1 flag in 125 years and hasn't won a final in the last decade.

Oh yeah, let's take our advice from you bud - someone in the footy world who can't even discern the difference between a fake tweet from a fake account, and a real one.

Fool. :tearsofjoy:

really?
not even a Cats fan as a kid

Not many are.

Don't think it really matters, and don't think Sel was a Cats supporter - but he bled navy blue and white from the day he entered the club.

Jhye seems very much the same, and has been involved with the Falcons/Geelong as a whole, for years.

Not many are.

Don't think it really matters, and don't think Sel was a Cats supporter - but he bled navy blue and white from the day he entered the club.

Jhye seems very much the same, and has been involved with the Falcons/Geelong as a whole, for years.
Selwood was definitely a huge cats fan as a kid.
I think we can maybe just let Jhye play a game first before suggesting he's a future captain..

don't think Sel was a Cats supporter
he definitely was - has spoken of it a few times. But you're right in that it really doesn't matter. Doubt Harls was a cats fan, but he obviously still loves us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can maybe just let Jhye play a game first before suggesting he's a future captain..

Wasn't my suggestion, just clarified what JTG was stating

Last edited:
he definitely was - has spoken of it a few times. But you're right in that it really doesn't matter. Doubt Harls was a cats fan, but he obviously still loves us.

Ah righto, my bad...thought I read something somewhere that he wasn't

I don't mind it at all if it is Danger. From the outside I'd see Stewart as a better fit, but I'm not in the 4 walls of the footy club.

What Thomas is saying is just ridiculous. As has been mentioned by others, we're trying to replace the greatest captain of all time. How on earth would that be fair to Max Holmes, SDK, or anyone else they see has the requisite qualities for the job? They're not ready and that's perfectly fine. As good as Joel was even he didn't take the role until age 24.

Danger and/or Stewart can hold the reigns for a couple of years and we'll re-evaluate when the time comes.

Clearly. Harls still loves us that much he became CEO.... of the Sydney Swans.

??

Not sure how thy second counters a suggestion of Harley's love for Geelong even though we may not have been his boyhood team, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Sydney wasn't either

Need to remember that Harley's decision to move to Sydney was initially due to Felicity's employment - she has supported him during his career and in retirement it was time to support her. Can't then fault him for taking up an employment opportunity in his new city of residence

??

Not sure how thy second counters a suggestion of Harley's love for Geelong even though we may not have been his boyhood team, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Sydney wasn't either
B
Need to remember that Harley's decision to move to Sydney was initially due to Felicity's employment - she has supported him during his career and in retirement it was time to support her. Can't then fault him for taking up an employment opportunity in his new city of residence
It's not meant as a super serious post tbh. Just saying, I can't imagine he was overjoyed with our success on GF day. It'd be like saying Chris Scott clearly still loves the Brisbane lions. So much he plots their downfall on regular occasions.

Agree 100%
Joel was a definite Cats fan.
Jhye and his family have been staunch Pies supporters.

Agree 100%
Joel was a definite Cats fan.
Jhye and his family have been staunch Pies supporters.
I don't think that really makes a difference in the end. It's a luxury; and a good story but not a necessity.

You don't gain the requisite leadership skills by supporting the club you end up playing for, nor do you lose them because you supported another club.

Hodge wasn't a Hawthorn supporter growing up. Cotchin wasn't a Richmond supporter. Voss wasn't a Brisbane supporter....you get the idea. We'll select who drives the standards of the footy club and who leads his teammates to the best of his ability.

I don't think that really makes a difference in the end. It's a luxury; and a good story but not a necessity.

You don't gain the requisite leadership skills by supporting the club you end up playing for, nor do you lose them because you supported another club.

Hodge wasn't a Hawthorn supporter growing up. Cotchin wasn't a Richmond supporter. Voss wasn't a Brisbane supporter....you get the idea. We'll select who drives the standards of the footy club and who leads his teammates to the best of his ability.
Didn't suggest it was, but we have yet to see the kid play with us, and whether he even wants to stay with us. OH left Collingwood. Kids these days usually get what they want.

I thought it was Terry Wallace with the Bulldogs that instigated flooding against Essendon in 2000, when they were almost unbeatable. I'm happy to be corrected
No, you're probably right. I was just going by some info on his Wiki... that's how much I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with something this puffed up ruddy faced flog had actually achieved in his lifetime haha

"In early 2002, with the team having come off a 122-point loss to Geelong and with players such as Aaron Hamill, Fraser Gehrig, Heath Black, Robert Harvey, Peter Everitt, Stewart Loewe, Nathan Burke and Justin Koschitzke sidelined through injury or suspension, Thomas decided to implement an extraordinary game plan in a match against Sydney which involved flooding the Swans' forward line and continually denying them the ball by kicking towards the boundary line when there were few options forward. The result was an 8.8 (56)–all draw, with Nick Riewoldt winning an AFL Rising Star nomination for his breakout performance.[5]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back