New AFL Video Game - Part 6 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lolut? There really isn't going to be a whole heap more funding for the Wii product vs the PSP products (there really isn't a whole lot different hardware wise either) and we don't even know that there is a whole lot more funding where is this 'obvious'ness? Also the quality of the PSP titles was along the lines of some of the "worst games ever" seriously if there was one right thing about those 2 titles then I'd like to hear it.

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574323

Budgetary restrictions shouldn't stop good developers making good games btw or at least making the absolute best of what they can and there was nothing close to being good in AFL and Rugby League Challenge. Sorry for speaking the truth, but nobody should be holding out hope for the Wii version being good.
Well lets look at it this way, they are probably building it on the game engine Big Ant are. They have probably shared quite a bit and animations will probably be similar if not the same. Big budget on the 360/PS3 front allows the game to be put together and then effectively ported and dumbed down for Wii. Sure i wont be buying it for Wii, mainly cos I really don't like the Wii and its last gen graphics but to discount a game because of a poor past title which was indeed rubbish, is still quiet unfair. I'll happily eat my hat if it is in fact terrible but you'd think they'd have put it together much better than the PSP titles which lacked any features or playability.

I'll judge the game when i play it. I will however point out the relief i had when it was mentioned that it would infact be a different developer for the Wii version as I consider the Wii to be a last gen system which drags down the quality of titles if they attempt to build them for all platforms in house.

they are probably building it on the game engine Big Ant are.

Some things can be shared but not too much. The engines are totally separate, unfortunately the Wii lacks the power to support the graphics systems of the PS3/360.

Even our internal cross platform development of previous Wii/360/PS3 titles has required us to write separate engines.

This is not a bad thing, it means that the developers are concentrating on the system they need to support and are getting everything from that particular system that they can.

For one, the PhyreEngine (pretty sure this is the engine BigAnt are using for AFL as they did for RLL) isn't a Wii engine (or at least has never been used for a Wii title) and the process of "porting to the Wii and dumbing it down" is nowhere near as simple as you make it seem so that would be highly unlikely. Take a look at the Wii version of COD4, that thing took 2 years to port over (from an actual proven performer developer) and was still pretty poor.

EDIT: And as Ross just disputed as I was writing this post...

History of WWS says they can't make a good AFL game, I'd rather be eating my hat if it is good than if it isn't because the odds are well and truly stacked against them with proven form of a several crappy AFL titles already. Had they not have already attempted the AFL game genre then I'd probably have a different outlook despite any past titles, simply because it is a completely differen game altogether, but proven poor form on AFL games does not speak highly to me.

For one, the PhyreEngine (pretty sure this is the engine BigAnt are using for AFL as they did for RLL) isn't a Wii engine (or at least has never been used for a Wii title) and the process of "porting to the Wii and dumbing it down" is nowhere near as simple as you make it seem so that would be highly unlikely. Take a look at the Wii version of COD4, that thing took 2 years to port over (from an actual proven performer developer) and was still pretty poor.

EDIT: And as Ross just disputed as I was writing this post...

History of WWS says they can't make a good AFL game, I'd rather be eating my hat if it is good than if it isn't because the odds are well and truly stacked against them with proven form of a several crappy AFL titles already. Had they not have already attempted the AFL game genre then I'd probably have a different outlook despite any past titles, simply because it is a completely differen game altogether, but proven poor form on AFL games does not speak highly to me.

We do use elements of the PhyreEngine from Sony. I say elements because over the years we have replaced most of the engine with our own code.

Ross we thank you for everything you have done
now that there is a release date what further information can you share with us. any idea when we can get more pics or even a little video

Would love to see images of all the retired/delisted players, seems we may not get a glimpse of them in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say thank you Ross for all the information and now we all have to wait at least 5 months but it will be well worth the wait. It would be good if all the retirees could be unlocked by using the team that they are from to achieve something eg winning a premiership, 1 game with the required team, winning by a certain margin. Maybe Kirk could be unlocked by achieving something like 15 tackles in a game by 1 player or something like that.

I am interested to know what some of the trophies might be now. I can now turn my attention to the cricket game. Maybe a new thread could be made for this. Not sure if Ross will have the time to contribute to that one too though.

Its not a game of social interactions.....

He means signature animations similiar to what 2K has done with their NBA titles to differentiate players. eg kicking styles, running styles etc.

I don't expect these to be included in the first title but it might be possible further down the track.

This would be an awesome addition.

Is it now fair to say that these guys have no excuse for any stupid bugs to be left in the game?

Of course there is always going to be minor bugs but surely we can expect a lot less in this game than previous AFL games

Is it now fair to say that these guys have no excuse for any stupid bugs to be left in the game?

I've been thinking about this and I think that it'd be unfair to expect NO bugs to be in the game (not implying that's what you meant). But I think it would be fair to expect the game to be pretty damn good. Over 2 years of development, if it comes out and is as bad as AFL 2003-2007, you'd have to think they were pretty lazy.

But I think it will be a pretty decent game, something tells me Big Ant have really put in an effort to make this game good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back