Mumford coming to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

if Mumford goes to PS tigers will take him with pick two.

I hope we offer our pick 35 for mumford which will outbid swans third round.

I see great potential in mummy and definatly a deadly future combo with vickery.

So you guys are willing to pay him $1mil +
I thought we were the only ones that crazy!

to all the clueless hacks out there

melbourne have plenty of $$$$ so too the tigers

mumford will not be traded for a pick in the 30s, geelong are over it
they did the hard work, and had faith in a player who is fit

if the swans want to play games, he will be in the psd, with the cats having more time to try to convince him to stay

this forum is full of little children

if the swans want to play games, he will be in the psd, with the cats having more time to try to convince him to stay

Since you seem to be in the know and smarter than everyone else here....

How much space to Richmond and Melbourne have?

If Sydney were to front load Mumfords contract to something like 800k for the first 2 years would both Richmond and Melbourne be able to/willing to pay that?

Steady on.... Sydney seem to pretty fair with our trades and treatment of players.

You cant expect to be on top for this long without some casualties.

Do you have his picture on your wall?

Steady on.... Sydney seem to pretty fair with our trades and treatment of players.

You cant expect to be on top for this long without some casualties.

Do you have his picture on your wall?

mate he would have signed up had the swans not offered over the odds

jolly asked to be traded

so what you want to do is pay the player over the odds, but not reward the team that found him and developed him

if he is worth 1.2 mill over 4 years, then he is worth a first round pick

the crap of a pick in the 30s is total crap

Since you seem to be in the know and smarter than everyone else here....

How much space to Richmond and Melbourne have?

If Sydney were to front load Mumfords contract to something like 800k for the first 2 years would both Richmond and Melbourne be able to/willing to pay that?
Hell, we moved on anyone who was anyone this year. Richo's on the vets list. Who do you reckon we're payng big bucks to?

Mumford could ask for the entire contract in the first year and we'd still accommodate it!

this is where the salary cap hurts geelong. mumford may or may not be worth 1.2mill over 4 years, but the cats are in no position to match it and no position to demand a first round draft pick.

And you will likely lose a few more promising young players in the next few years in the same way

mate he would have signed up had the swans not offered over the odds

jolly asked to be traded

so what you want to do is pay the player over the odds, but not reward the team that found him and developed him

if he is worth 1.2 mill over 4 years, then he is worth a first round pick

the crap of a pick in the 30s is total crap

"Reward the team that found him"??? This is elite level professional sport, money talks.

This is an example of the completely mindless parochialism BF spews up at this time of year.

Your infantile argument boils down to "He's from our club, so he's worth more".

Hell, we moved on anyone who was anyone this year. Richo's on the vets list. Who do you reckon we're payng big bucks to?

Mumford could ask for the entire contract in the first year and we'd still accommodate it!
i wish you would, so the swannettes could cough up a pick commesurate with the $$$ they are happy to spend

I expect that the deal will be done for a 3rd round pick and an exchange of our newly acquired pick 14 for Geelong's pick 17. I think this is fair. We need a ruckman, Geelong have salary cap issues.

I dont think that Mumford will go to the PSD. The Swans have shown consistently over Roos' tenure at least that they deal fairly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's weird, Seven news confirmed Mumford to Sydney, but nothing on the AFL, Geelong or Sydney websites.

i wish you would, so the swannettes could cough up a pick commesurate with the $$$ they are happy to spend

I read that the Pies have effectively given Jolly a two year extension - ie signed him up for 4 years. And given what he was earning at Sydney, I would be surprised if this contract was worth much less than $2m over 4 years. Trade wise Jolly is apparently worth a late first round pick.

So the reported offer to Mumford is around half that Jolly would have been attracted by. If you are using salaries to determine draft worth, hard to sustain your argument that Mumford was worth the same as Jolly at the trade table.

With all the complaining and bitterness on show in the coments section in the corresponding Hun article you'd have to guess that Mumford is going to be something very worthwhile in the future.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelongs-shane-mumford-agrees-to-million-dollar-deal/comments-e6frf9jf-1225784337156

But Pick #14 for him? That's effectively saying we'd trade Jolly for Mumford, which is ludicrous.

I'd be very disappointed if anything higher than Sydney's #28 pick was offered or exchanged.

A good source has informed me that the deal has all but been done. Mumford to the Swans, for return Sydney's 3rd round prick, and Danny O'keefe a former Geelong boy wanting to get home.

28's fair...14 would be overpaying...

sydney threw cash at the kid...but he wasn't getting the opportunities at geelong...

you can't have your cake and eat it too...

the salary cap's doing what it's supposed to do...restrict the ability of clubs building dynasties...imo...geelong have done a great job of overcoming that...with players willing to accept less $$$ to continue their quest for premierships....but they were bound to succumb to it eventually...this is probably the first of a few painful transactions over the next few years...but you've been doing bloody well so far

Blake is better than Mumford at the moment and we have to make hay while the sun shines.

I have no doubt, the club has made the correct choice here, just as they did when they preferred Blake to Mumford in the finals.
The club hasn't made any choice,Mumford is out of contract and wants to leave based on the huge offer the Swans made,an offer Geelong can't match.
Make no mistake Geelong are filthy about this. Also the reason Mumford didn't play at the end of the year was because he ran out of condition,being so new. Remember he weighed 130 kg when Geelong found him. With another pre-season under his belt he would take Blakes place with no trouble. I dont think the Swans fans know what they are getting,although they may have an inkling now, based on the offer the Swans have made. Make no mistake,this kid could be a superster. Geelong have made some brilliant "left field" drafts and rookie selections over the years and it's a pity now another club is going to cash in. Also,please get your info and facts straight before you post!! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back