Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

That just means that there's plenty of moron jokers about. They're about as funny as a train wreck.

People should never joke about tragic events.
I bet they wouldn't think it's that funny if something like that impacted their lives.
Touch grass mate

This may come as a shock but very successful comedians have joked about cancer, holocaust, famine, aids, paedophilia and so on

Interesting that some distasteful skits result in fines and suspensions.

But a certain Richmond player can have a past full of robbery and assault and be fine to play, only to be charged with more robbery crimes while on the list, and still be able to play.

Not to mention a certain Pies player charged with sexual assault, who is also okay to keep playing.

The consistency of the AFL, people.

That just means that there's plenty of moron jokers about. They're about as funny as a train wreck.

People should never joke about tragic events.
I bet they wouldn't think it's that funny if something like that impacted their lives.

Dark humour / black comedy / gallows humour is a thing.

It’s generally not my choice of Tim Tams, but it is a thing.

So it's okay for AFL media to refer to a duo of players as "The Twin Towers" but not okay for AFL players to dress as them?
The twin towers in sport refers to the 2 7 foot centres, number 1 picks Houston had in the NBA on the mid 80's, Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon .

I think some of this was distasteful and wrong, but I don't think warrant suspensions at this stage. Stay away from racial references, even if it is from players who have African backgrounds liking to joke about themselves being a "Power fellow".

Dark humour / black comedy / gallows humour is a thing.

It’s generally not my choice of Tim Tams, but it is a thing.
Totally.
And I think the situation matters.
Comedian on stage? Go for your life.

Semi-public figures representing an organization (and by proxy, their sponsors)? You just have to be a bit careful.

Under employment law, an employer has a duty of care towards their staff.

Venues blacklist patrons all the time. The patrons haven’t necessarily done anything “illegal” to justify them being charged, but they have done enough to justify them not being allowed back into the venue. And an employer’s duty of care towards their staff is reasonable grounds for that.

If the venue is very unhappy with the conduct of company staff at an organised event, it’s good practice for venue management to call the company on Monday morning to complain. That covers their backside in the event staff complain to Worksafe + it’s good for staff culture knowing their employer has their back (Good staff are usually much harder to find than good customers)

And if GWS (any club) receives a complaint about their players, I’d imagine that they’re obliged to inform the AFL as a matter of good governance.

And once the AFL gets involved, who knows where the matter will end up …

Any staff choosing to work a Wacky Wednesday should expect to see some silly behaviour. But there's no hint that staff members were threatened or abused.

A duty of care wouldn't extend to employees being offended. It would be like staff at a strip show (male or female) being offended by nakedness. If the venue had an issue with the players' behaviour they could have asked them to leave. But it seems it wasn't the venue that complained, it was an individual.

Edit - Apparently, the bartender who made a complaint didn't actually see what happened first hand. They went out of the way to watch it on CCTV so they could be offended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you on about? Everyone of sound mind knows right and wrong. It's just about whether they want to or not.

Please send me the directions to get to your beautiful and pure world …

… so that I may know where to avoid.

Whether you think it's woke or not, it's actually really easy to avoid incidents like this by just not being a ****ing moron.

Even if the punishments are over the top, I'm not going to garner too much sympathy for these millionaires getting reprimanded for stupid shit that would probably have them sacked in any other workplace.

Surely this is the last Mad Monday or Wacky Wednesday or whatever in a public place

You've got houses fellas, use them!! 😆

yep it will be forced now underground with Bikie like protection and even worse crap will happen but now it will really be private. I swear to god people are becoming offended by their own shadow these days.

Whether you think it's woke or not, it's actually really easy to avoid incidents like this by just not being a ****ing moron.

Even if the punishments are over the top, I'm not going to garner too much sympathy for these millionaires getting reprimanded for stupid shit that would probably have them sacked in any other workplace.

Actually they will garner quite a bit of sympathy.

It's the small minority who will give a shit about what they did in the first place.

Fining Toby Greene is the most bizarre thing to me, I don't recall Riewoldt being fined when St Kilda set fire to a dwarf.

Fining Toby Greene is the most bizarre thing to me, I don't recall Riewoldt being fined when St Kilda set fire to a dwarf.
"I don't hold a lighter, mate"
- N Riewoldt

Only $3k in fines for lighting a dwarf on fire

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back