Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

No coach will fix the following
Lewis Young hanballing over his head to the opposition
Jsos passing to 200cm mckay's toes
Hewett receiving a 10m kick and claiming a mark.
Pittonet around ground game and contest against top rucks
Weitering's headspace due to external issues.
lack of ball carriers/outside types on list
Total inability to hit targets across the park
I'd like to know why our players are de-evolving and now look totally confused since round 10 last year.
That's got nothing to do with the players skill levels.

Perhaps... that just feels like kicking the can down the road to me.

I just find it incredible that we have two Coleman medallists, a Brownlow medallist, three All-Australians, 14 other players drafted in the first round (7x top 10) and several high profile and well performing senior players all in the 23-29 age bracket, and the only answer is to blow it up and start again.

My take is that Voss has screwed up the following:
  • he's spooked by opposition scoring against us, and too readily abandons an attacking mindset to drop a player behind the ball. This kills our ball movement and good teams grind us into submission (see: St Kilda after half time, Brisbane last night).
  • he's too rigid in his structure; he's decided the 'type' of player he wants on the field, and guys get spots regardless of performance because of their size/shape (eg Honey).
  • other players have had lines ruled through them regardless of reserves performance (eg: Dow, O'Brien). This has an utterly demotivating effect on those players, and spreads across the group
  • there's something wrong with our training and skills program. Our goalkickers have no set shot routine and zero confidence kicking for goal. Our ball carriers can't hit 20m targets. Players are just not doing things they were doing a year or two ago.

Combine all those things, and the players are underperforming, even relative to their own skillset.

This group of players isn't perfect. No group is... Richmond in 2017 looked briefly like falling apart: they had structural deficiencies (only one undersized key forward, no backup ruck), they had lost a series of close games in unfortunate style (3 straight losses by under a kick) and had a belting against Adelaide in Adelaide. There seemed to be a massive gulf between their best players (Coleman medallist Riewoldt, Brownlow medallist Cotchin and Martin not far off, etc) and their fringe guys (including a bunch of no-name small forwards) etc. At Round 9 they were 5-4 and looking shaky. There are a LOT of parallels imo.

Hardwick was able to be flexible, lean in to the strengths of his team rahter than trying to save them from their weaknesses and turn things around. At the very least we have to give this a try. We can't rebuild until November anyway...

Survivorship bias comparing us to Geelong or Richmond. There simply isn’t the leadership on the field nor is there an effective modern system designed by an elite group of coaches.

The club has made big mistakes in recruitment and even bigger mistakes in hiring coaching staff.

I think let’s bring Aker in an as an assistant, may help spark Vossy up.

The guy who has been out of the top level for 13 years, accused Michael Braun of taking PED’s (which he didn’t), suspended when he was the head coach of North Albury in 2014 for cyber-bullying umpires and said Jim Stynes didn’t deserve a state funeral only two days after he died? The guy is a massive dickhead. Keep well away from our players.

I'm trying to take emotion out of it and think with logic. So I thought about what makes a good coach (outside of winning obviously).
I think the main key metric of what makes a coach good is if he make the players around him better. He instills confidence in the players. They clearly know their roles and what is expected of them. They learn the fundamentals and they learn the one percenters. Now lets look at these points.

It's pretty evident at the moment that our players are lacking confidence. It's also evident that there seems to be confusion about roles on gameday. Tonight we got the 6-6-6 setup wrong on two occasions and subsequently gave away a free. I believe this also happened the week prior. Not the sign of the most organised and well drilled team.

We continually make silly mistakes such as not rushing the behind on the goal line. We spoil the ball back into play rather than for a point or over the boundary. We often panic release handball when tackled rather than absorbing contact and forcing the ball-up (some serial offenders of this). Our smalls don't get front and centre for crumbs even though with the current game style we bomb long, which should give them even more opportunity to do so. Our key forwards rarely lead at the ball carrier instead preferring to play behind the defender to get the over the back goal- this in turn stagnates ball movement because the mids and backs see no easy target to kick to. This can lead to us going into our shell and the slow play kicks up a gear. The one percenters seem lacking. Now a lot of this this could be panic- but even if it's panic that's on a lack of preparation to try to mimic those situations and prepare as best as possible. If it's the players just not being strong enough mentally then we need to look into changing over our sport psychologist(s).

How many of our players are better since Voss has taken over? Would love to hear opinions on that.

I don't want us to have to fire another coach so I'm rooting for him to turn it around. He took over with the mantra of an immediate finals berth. If he goes two years without that then it will be interesting what happens. Maybe we overrated our list, that's definitely possible. Maybe it's Voss. I actually have no clue anymore. I'd just like us to at least go down swinging having played to our strengths if we are to lose. At the moment it never really feels like we have a chance against the good teams with the current method as we just don't generate enough scoring attempts with the amount of ball we get.
Mods, sticky this post.

I'd like to know why our players are de-evolving and now look totally confused since round 10 last year.
That's got nothing to do with the players skill levels.
My opinion is the playing gtoup has lacked leadership. My understanding is our skill training was driven by senior players during our premiership era. Eg Keogh mentoring harmes, johnston. Skill errors and soft attack exposed verbally during sunday social club sessions and drilled during Tuesday to Thursday training. Cripps, Weiters, Doch do not lead but better than murphy, Gibbs

Last edited:
The guy who has been out of the top level for 13 years, accused Michael Braun of taking PED’s (which he didn’t), suspended when he was the head coach of North Albury in 2014 for cyber-bullying umpires and said Jim Stynes didn’t deserve a state funeral only two days after he died? The guy is a massive dickhead. Keep well away from our players.

I believe it was a joke…

Aker used to press Vossy’s buttons when they played together…

Still talk about him as one of the most gifted footballers to play the game…

I think people blaming the player's disposal the main issue seems to forget something important. Players who are extremely sure with their disposal tend to be so because they have complete trust in the next person who receives it.

Players second guess themselves if they don't have confidence in the setup or plan. Yesterday, when we intercepted the ball in defence, there were zero players running hard to run into space for even the short kick. This has been a constant theme the entire year.

And the same thing for our midfield setup. Unless we clearly win the clearance we cannot win the 50 50 our way. Once a player with the ball is in trouble we don't have any system in releasing a player with quick handballs. It is no existent.

If we were able to move the ball fluently from defence to the forward line and our issue was only our inside 50 setup then I would think it could be easily rectified.

But that the issue is our complete lack of system, therefore the players' work rate is insufficient and this does not bode well at all.

I watched Richmond for a number of years
1. Continually losing close games
2. Players Not being able to hit the side of a barn
3. Continually going to the boundary wings like that's where the goal posts where
4. No leadership.. remember people saying Cotchin was the worst skipper in the comp
5. A rebel board saying they were going to sack Dimma

Dimma had a shit game plan and one his team coukdnt execute

Then a so called Blake caracella says u need to mitigate against our poor ball movement and skills and developed a triple winning flag game plane..spuds like castagna thrieved
If anyone things our issues are personal and anything but game style then sorry but u have no idea.

I watched Richmond for a number of years
1. Continually losing close games
2. Players Not being able to hit the side of a barn
3. Continually going to the boundary wings like that's where the goal posts where
4. No leadership.. remember people saying Cotchin was the worst skipper in the comp
5. A rebel board saying they were going to sack Dimma

Dimma had a s**t game plan and one his team coukdnt execute

Then a so called Blake caracella says u need to mitigate against our poor ball movement and skills and developed a triple winning flag game plane..spuds like castagna thrieved
If anyone things our issues are personal and anything but game style then sorry but u have no idea.
Rubbish, failure to hit a bloke 10m to 15m away with basic pass or handball has zero to do with the coaches or game style. Its on the player, if you can't do it, go improve your self or go drive buses. Some of the players we have recruited who can't do the basics is staggering. Some of these blokes have survived 2, 3 even 4 coach sackings. Hmmmmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, failure to hit a bloke 10m to 15m away with basic pass or handball has zero to do with the coaches or game style. Its on the player, if you can't do it, go improve your self or go drive buses. Some of the players we have recruited who can't do the basics is staggering. Some of these blokes have survived 2, 3 even 4 coach sackings. Hmmmmm.
Garbage.
Saad is a good kick
Weiters is a good kick.
Acres is a good kick.
They turned it over.
Having multiple thoughts in your mind is a big factor.

You do realise my comment was in jest?

Garbage.
Saad is a good kick
Weiters is a good kick.
Acres is a good kick.
They turned it over.
What a load of BS- "multiple thoughts in your mind" what are you a mind reader? - you have ball in hand and you decide to kick to a player- and you miss or you dont. That is pure execution - nothing to do with coaching.

Garbage.
Saad is a good kick
Weiters is a good kick.
Acres is a good kick.
They turned it over.
Sorry to shoot a few Bambis for you but Weiters is a terrible kick in general, I know he has a lot on his mind at the moment but he needs to piss or get off the pot. Acres gets a ton of the ball but was a liability last night with footy, lost count of how many times he turned it over. If was the oppo coach last light, I would have been very happy when Acres and Weiters had the ball as I knew I would more often than not be getting it back.

Saad is an attacking footballer and one of the few on our list who actually knows how to defend. He is extremely one sided but is a very good attacking kick of the footy, not elite but a very good kick. Not sure why you brough him TBH.

Feel like we have reverted back to the Malthouse kickbdown the wing gameplan to minimise the damage.

What happened to the attacking gameplan that suits our biggest strength, our key forwards?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Which one of Ross gameplans puts his players under constant pressure with no outlet kicks, has no method for exiting d50 and has the multiple players running into the same space for a kick where one should be creating space. The Lyon game plan is so simple too. Fold back, effort, spread to the outlet wing hard, keep spacing between you and your teammates on the spread and have the small forwards involved in transition.

Defending Voss gameplan is a big yikes atm. Not coming for Voss head but I will obliterate the gameplan he's 'trying'. Needs to be retooled/ layers added etc. I just haven't seen such bad spacing and creating for team mates since underage football .-.

The wide angle shots whilst our key backs play kick mark across the backline are so saddening. Literally stationary players sitting in the lions zone. No one's pulling a player out of their spot by leading so someone else can lead into the created space. The only chance our system allows us to beat a zone press is a contested mark, 50m free or a Saad overlap run. Not consistently reliable options....
👍

Rubbish, failure to hit a bloke 10m to 15m away with basic pass or handball has zero to do with the coaches or game style. Its on the player, if you can't do it, go improve your self or go drive buses. Some of the players we have recruited who can't do the basics is staggering. Some of these blokes have survived 2, 3 even 4 coach

What a load of BS- "multiple thoughts in your mind" what are you a mind reader? - you have ball in hand and you decide to kick to a player- and you miss or you dont. That is pure execution - nothing to do with coaching.

What a load of BS- "multiple thoughts in your mind" what are you a mind reader? - you have ball in hand and you decide to kick to a player- and you miss or you dont. That is pure execution - nothing to do
S
Execution is effected by what ur thinking.
What does pressure from being tackled do?

Ur thinking bout being tackled and at the same time what u gunna do with ball..it can effect ur execution

OMG! Watch the press conference! his body language is incredible.
It’s obviously not an exact science but u can clearly tell when he’s defensive, agitated, blatantly lying etc.
Just watch the defensive posturing, covering up, hand over the mouth, inflating himself to appear larger, eye contact, retreating- with even the most basic understanding it’s an amazing thing to witness how bad that press conference went.
You're being ridiculous, what a lot of tripe.
All you hear is what you want to hear, and all you want to do is burn the place to the ground out of spite.
Give it a rest.

Feele lime we have reverted back to the Malthouse kickbdown the wing gameplan to minimise the damage.

What happened to the attacking gameplan that suits our biggest strength, our key forwards?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
S

Execution is effected by what ur thinking.
What does pressure from being tackled do?

Ur thinking bout being tackled and at the same time what u gunna do with ball..it can effect ur execution
Mate that's called footy, the idea is get rid of it to a bloke with the same coloured jumper as yours before you get tackled. I'm not talking about that anyway, I am talking about simple kicks and handballs that either go over the intended receivers head, hit them on the shins or go straight to a bloke with a different coloured jumper on. I dont know what game you watched last night but I know what I saw and the skill levels were terrible. Even Voss admitted in his presser execution killed us. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back