Coach Men's Coaches 2024 - Ringing in the changes for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Senior Coach: Brad Scott (thread)
reports to the Chief Executive Officer
  • Ben Jacobs – Assistant Coach (Defence)
  • Daniel Giansiracusa – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Brent Stanton – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Dale Tapping – Assistant Coach (Forwards)

Head of Development: Cam Roberts
reports to the General Manager, AFL
  • Travis Cloke – Development Coach (Forwards) & VFLW Head Coach (VFLW thread)
  • Michael Hurley – Development Coach (Backline), Jack Jones Academy & Player Welfare
  • Natalie Wood – Development Coach (Teaching & Education) & AFLW Senior Coach (Coach thread)

VFL Senior Coach: Blake Caracella (VFL thread)
  • Adam Potter – VFL Assistant Coach

Last edited:
Dale Tapping doing his best to channel his inner Dan Jordan.

Worst our forward line has looked in years. I said in the game thread but watch Geelong or Collingwood go forward and get 4-5 genuine 1v1's whereas when we go in, we look like a bunch of fat kids on a dropped Smartie.

We desperately need to change this at the end of the year.

Dale Tapping doing his best to channel his inner Dan Jordan.

Worst our forward line has looked in years. I said in the game thread but watch Geelong or Collingwood go forward and get 4-5 genuine 1v1's whereas when we go in, we look like a bunch of fat kids on a dropped Smartie.

We desperately need to change this at the end of the year.
Is it coaching or simply the personal is just not right. No genuine KPF . Too many medium forwards. No quick small small forwards. He may not be any good as a forward coach but it is hard to build a race car with some of the parts missing. On top of that the way we use the footy going into the forward 50 is average.

Is it coaching or simply the personal is just not right. No genuine KPF . Too many medium forwards. No quick small small forwards. He may not be any good as a forward coach but it is hard to build a race car with some of the parts missing. On top of that the way we use the footy going into the forward 50 is average.
Combination of all. I'd be the first to say the mix isn't right and we need a shake up with the players. But if they haven't learned basics like how to get out of each others way or create space for one another, then that comes down to coaching for mine.

Not expecting champagne football of course, but forward of centre we look state league.

Combination of all. I'd be the first to say the mix isn't right and we need a shake up with the players. But if they haven't learned basics like how to get out of each others way or create space for one another, then that comes down to coaching for mine.

Not expecting champagne football of course, but forward of centre we look state league.
I would not argue anyone's view on it being not getting the buy in to what the coach is selling . It could very well be the issue. From personal experience as an assistant in the lower levels sometimes you get situations where you work on leading and blocking and not leading to the same spots and you have the discussions and draw the diagrams and run the drills and on match day instinct takes over and it goes out the window. Throw in poor connectivity due to poor options or skill errors . Have watched them work on forward set up at training but for whatever reason it does not translate to match day. Sometimes I think we actually kick to the decoy player coming inside 50 and not the bloke we set up to get the footy.
Some of the guys have had several forward coaches with us and at other clubs. So fair enough to question how the message about basics is being sold but you have to wonder about their ability to actually put it into practice.

avoiding the obvious - since martin went back our f50 entries have been abysmal. going wide or kicking it to no one.

only so much blame can be put on brad though, players make bad decisions kicking it inside constantly
Can't kick it to a lead that isn't there. Have a look at the goofballs we've got inside 50. Only one of them presents at the ball carrier, and he gets knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Can't kick it to a lead that isn't there. Have a look at the goofballs we've got inside 50. Only one of them presents at the ball carrier, and he gets knocked over by a stiff breeze.
or a mild zephyr

Who is to blame here, Stringer or our forwards getting beaten by all 3 defenders to the ball?

Not Stringer. At least he kicked it to space. The problem there is Wright is shit truck slow and the other marking options where running under the footy.

Not Stringer. At least he kicked it to space. The problem there is Wright is shit truck slow and the other marking options where running under the footy.
That's crazy. If Jake had lowered the eyes he would realise there was 3 Essendon forwards playing in front of their opponents (a concept he's probably completely unfamiliar with). Guelfi actually has decent separation and space in front of him.

But Jake blazes away over everyone's heads to try to hit a 80m pass to a guy who has probably hung back anticipating a quick wheel around from Guelfi, or even a handball to a wide open Durham.

That's crazy. If Jake had lowered the eyes he would realise there was 3 Essendon forwards playing in front of their opponents (a concept he's probably completely unfamiliar with). Guelfi actually has decent separation and space in front of him.

But Jake blazes away over everyone's heads to try to hit a 80m pass to a guy who has probably hung back anticipating a quick wheel around from Guelfi, or even a handball to a wide open Durham.
What's crazy is you finding ways to blame Stringer for everything, well, when Shiel isn't in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were running under the footy because it was kicked way over their heads. Kicking it to Guelfi on the lead was clearly the best option.

They were running under the footy because it was kicked way over their heads. Kicking it to Guelfi on the lead was clearly the best option.
My view is if he kicks that to Geulfi he gets spoiled at half back. If it is Caddy leading from the square he gets to that footy first. Why is the forward option to kick it to a small leading forward ? I know it has been the Essendon way in the past but I am looking for Guelfi in more space before he is the target.

The kick was terrible but even worse was 2mp positioning. Should have gone to Guelf. It was litteraraly the only option.

Really need to think about how many inconsistent guys we want on the list.

My view is if he kicks that to Geulfi he gets spoiled at half back. If it is Caddy leading from the square he gets to that footy first. Why is the forward option to kick it to a small leading forward ? I know it has been the Essendon way in the past but I am looking for Guelfi in more space before he is the target.
Caddy had loads of space and separation. A kick in front of him the only concern is he won't go the journey and we're still another possession away from a goal. But with everyone leading toward Stringer's left there was acres space for Wright to lead into on what then becomes the fat side.

Stringer just blazes away to no mans land with a kick that was favourable to the Geelong defenders.

The option to go deeper (which he seemingly wanted) meant either handballing to an open Durham (who he probably couldn't see so no huge fault there), or carry with a block from his team mates, and a kick to Wright on the double back to the open side. But Stringer doesn't have the tank for that kind of sustained effort. We just get his typical all or nothing route 1. He's not really a midfielder 😱 and it was a low IQ no look bang forward in hope.

3/4 Essendon players were out in front and to the left of their defender. Stringer goes long(er) to the sole Essendon player not in front of his defender, on the wrong side for all the other forwards. If you're kicking i50 this is basically an illustration of what not to do. The one player he appears to be targetting is Wright, and it's a badly placed kick for Wright given it doesn't really advantage him in any way. Our i50s are pretty consistently poor, being high long bombs. I'm sure the forwards own some of the responsibility for offering shit leads, but on this occasions, you had 3 viable leading targets all out in front of their defender and instead of kicking to what was on offer, even if sub-par, Stringer goes high and long.

1719797395773.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back