Melbourne overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I see it all the pressure is on North to deliver. Lot of media speculation in recent weeks coming internally and externally about their finals chances in 2011. I reckon they can make it by the way.

Melbourne have a long way to go before being serious final contenders.

We didn't 'only hang on' by percentage, there was over 20 percentage points difference between us and North in 9th. That's more than 70 goals difference.

It doesn't matter if it is 1% or 1000%, just one result different and it could have been very different. Given you guys pretty much stumbled into the finals after vying for a top 4 spot at one point and bumbled out of the finals in week one the term "hang on" was perfect to describe what happened to your season.

After the half-way mark the season unfolded as follows:
Lost to North (12th vs Carlton 5th)
Lost to Fremantle (4th vs Carlton 6th) at home
Beat Brisbane (11th vs Carlton 6th) at home
Lost to Bulldogs (5th vs Carlton 6th)
Lost to Sydney at home (6th vs Carlton 7th)
Beat West Coast away (16th vs Carlton 8th)
Lost to Collingwood (1st vs Carlton 7th)
Beat Essendon (12th vs Carlton 7th)
Beat Richmond (15th vs Carlton 6th)
Lost to Geelong (2nd vs Carlton 6th)
Lost to Fremantle away (6th vs Carlton 8th)
Lost to Sydney away in the Elimination final

Average position of teams you beat in the second half: 13.5
Average position of teams you lost to in the second half: 5.1

That is a huge difference to the first half where you won 8 of the 11 games and knocked off teams like Geelong and St Kilda.

I rate them very highly, will be an even greater achievement by their opponents when the slimy toff pricks get smashed by 10+ goals round 1, whoever they are playing...

Wow there are some bitter, jealous and generally pathetic North Melbourne supporters on BF.

Obviously boomer29 is a BF apprentice (and a complete knobend as shown by his posts in this thread) but the amount of vitriol and hatred for Melbourne on here and also in the North Melbourne board, where every second thread is reserved for sooking about Melbourne, is just ridiculous.

I have talked a lot on my NMFC friends to start buying memberships again and I am a member of the NMFC too, I have a genuine soft spot for the club, but it is being washed away bit by bit due to the genuine douchbaggery by a section of the supporters.

He had the third most rebound 50s in the AFL last year you egg (102).

Let me rephrase I just believe he had to average more than 18 touches to be named as a third tall. The back pocket is a very attacking position and I don't think it should be used on the second best FB in the league.

Obviously you disagree just don't get worked up about it.

Melbourne seem to have a well balanced young list, which is important. Give it time, they have a good chance to make the eight with a favourable draw this year, but even if they don't they look to be on the right track.

Jeez, I suddenly feel like committing suicide after all that...

What a futile and squalid existence we Melbourne supporters lead...

you.. are... a... champion

and are you accusing supporters of 'pre-emptive' bandwagoning?? LOL.

bottom four for essendon mate :D ;)

Just some of the soft responses I expected from Melbourne fans...

Incapable of handling the truth about their club or putting up any decent argument against it at all so have to resort to commenting on an opposition club. Be my guest and contribute to the other 3239838332 threads on Bigfooty at the moment with the critical microscope over Essendon, but please... at least try and keep this discussion about Melbourne Football Club. :thumbsu:

Do you still have nightmares about the pantsing we gave you last year? :)

no it was a one off we dropped our guard because of the crappy opposition, rumour has it our players were out partying all night and rocked up to the game drunk, wont happen again

You're really quite hilarious, mate. You're like that coach on The Simpsons who always yells "bombardment!".

bombardment-simpsons-coach-krupt-dodgeball-bombardment-demotivational-poster-1236200275.jpg

Don't you think you're taking this tough guy act a bit too far? It's just a game. I've said plenty of critical things about Melbourne in my time. Fans are not their football club... You have equally little say in how Essendon plays football, Mr Hard-as-Nails.

Let me rephrase I just believe he had to average more than 18 touches to be named as a third tall. The back pocket is a very attacking position and I don't think it should be used on the second best FB in the league.

So looking at the All Australian foward line with Barry Hall in the foward pocket you would play a more attacking player like Courtney Dempsey or Heath Shaw on him. That might be straight out of Knight's coaching handbook but look where that got him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me rephrase I just believe he had to average more than 18 touches to be named as a third tall.

Well then you must agree with Frawley's selection - he averaged 18.62 touches last year.

So looking at the All Australian foward line with Barry Hall in the foward pocket you would play a more attacking player like Courtney Dempsey or Heath Shaw on him. That might be straight out of Knight's coaching handbook but look where that got him.

Thats a good point the AA backline should be able to play on the AA forwadline.

that has absolutely no relevance to what you said previously

Incapable of handling the truth about their club or putting up any decent argument against it at all so have to resort to commenting on an opposition club. Be my guest and contribute to the other 3239838332 threads on Bigfooty at the moment with the critical microscope over Essendon, but please... at least try and keep this discussion about Melbourne Football Club. :thumbsu:

mate i could have responded to your entire post if i felt like it, but i didn't.

frankly, it was one of the worse ones i have seen from you... which says something :eek:

'culture' is a word used entirely too much in relation to footy, the 'culture' of the mfc in the early to mid 2000's has absolutely no bearing on the current culture at the club with new leaders (stynes, bailey, schwabb) significant numbers of new players, etc

i have clearly stated before, melbourne aren't ready to make finals this year... and i don't particularly give a **** where you think melbourne should be or will be

i think i have a great idea where we are as a team, our players, coaches and admin have a a great idea as to where we are and where we want to go... and that's really all i can ask for :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back