News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Difficult questions are fine, it’s the rubbish front / back page spreads like today that are just tasteless. (Maybe more the editor, but Woodcock still puts his name to a lot of rubbish)

It’s true that Simmo has lost a lot of games the last 3 years, but todays effort from the West is the equivalent of writing an obituary about Woodcock calling him a flog campaigner
The spreads, the Harley photos all lies with the edittor - who has a turned a once respected newspaper into a gossip mag.

It’s not ‘media’ in the true sense but far out, if social media has taught us anything, it’s that 90% of people who hold an ‘opinion’ (at best, a ‘reckon’, let’s be honest) and a smart phone are complete and utter nuffies.

I realise the club has many, many supporters that aren’t niche internet message board footy nerds that follow the game far too closely but for gods sake…

Can you disable seeing comments on everything? That must be a thing right?

I’m old now, help me.

I'd just buy it and immediately shut it down tbh.

Save your hard earned - they’re doing a pretty good job of that themselves.

Downward spiral of Seven West Media has been mind blowing.

I’m surprised owners/managers have taken their hands off the wheel.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great article. Journalism and analysis an order of magnitude better than The West with a fraction of the budget. So much for corporate efficiency.

Our efficiency going i50 in the 2018 premiership era was always a ticking time bomb. Could never sustain that long term. When that returned to the average post-JK/Nic-Nat/Shuey, and eventually regressed further, combined with the ease at which teams go inside 50 against us (that "points per i50 conceded" graph is diabolical), we arrive at the shit-show we are now. It is scary to think we can get worse as McGovern and Barrass are phased out with no suitable replacements. Those already diabolical points per i50 conceded numbers have the potential to become utterly cataclysmic. Although I do expect our team defense to improve, so hopefully won't be as reliant on the individual brilliance of our interceptors going forward.
Strengths are weaknesses.

The whole reason your club is in the mess it is in is because you won a flag in 2018. Kind of got stuck in amber at that point.

A lot of clubs would happily trade 10 years of irrelevance/crappiness for a flag.

So chin up. Maybe learn something from the experience.

Hard ball gets quick 9 pod came out today (Jackson Barrett/Jake colvin). Got stuck straight into a passionate defence of woodcock, with zero acknowledgement that the front page itself was very poor, let alone acknowledging the general behaviour of the paper over the last few years.

Going into bat for their colleague is to be expected, but don't gaslight us to suggest they're the victim and their employer has done nothing wrong over the journey.

Perths desperate some genuine local media competition.

Robbo goes in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rare to see media turn on other media outlets in the way I’ve seen today.

Hoping it’s the last state for a lot of people. For those with a platform, eg players and media, it’s nice to see pushback.

For the rest of us plebs - all we can do is not consume, not engage, let the scream into the void.

Hard ball gets quick 9 pod came out today (Jackson Barrett/Jake colvin). Got stuck straight into a passionate defence of woodcock, with zero acknowledgement that the front page itself was very poor, let alone acknowledging the general behaviour of the paper over the last few years.

Going into bat for their colleague is to be expected, but don't gaslight us to suggest they're the victim and their employer has done nothing wrong over the journey.

The quick 9 pods shit.

Im even waning off the monday podcast as they waffle on too much at.the start

one of my fave podcasts, real shame to hear that dribble

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo goes in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whatley is such a tosser, calling the media "the fourth estate". The West crossed the line (and is an absolute disgrace of a publication) but these turnips can't take the moral high ground, as they're just as shallow. Let's not forget that Whatley announced earlier in the year that he wasn't going to watch any game we played in.

Whatley is such a tosser, calling the media "the fourth estate". The West crossed the line (and is an absolute disgrace of a publication) but these turnips can't take the moral high ground, as they're just as shallow. Let's not forget that Whatley announced earlier in the year that he wasn't going to watch any game we played in.
"The fourth estate" is a generic term used to refer to news media.

He wasn't wrong in saying ours is weird. The thing that annoyed me is when he talked about people not wanting to come here because of it, but I guess he is stating the truth.

I really wish we could get rid of The West. They really are weird.

Sorry for the intrusion however I want to thank Adam for the 2018 Grand Final win over Collingwood. A Pies win is something no one ever wants to see.

I hope that your team and the AFL, blacklist the pisspoor tabloid until an apology is received. He has a young family and this front page must be devastating for the family. Adam has been there for 11 years and one premiership, not a bad return in a comp of 18, look after him please.

"The fourth estate" is a generic term used to refer to news media.

He wasn't wrong in saying ours is weird. The thing that annoyed me is when he talked about people not wanting to come here because of it, but I guess he is stating the truth.

I really wish we could get rid of The West. They really are weird.
My issue with the 360 segment, which was largely well thought out, was the closing comments which implied that it was a whole of WA, or at least Perth or West Coast thing. The whole "I'm not sure what's going on over there" narrative is bananas. No, it's a trash paper that changed business model and went down a click-bait direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back