Toast McRae era (2022-) = see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucks also had a great win loss ratio as coach against the blues.
He did - 12/16 for 75%. So we've gone 17W 5L over our last 2 coaches against them, including one that finished their season.

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Office

He did - 12/16 for 75%. So we've gone 17W 5L over our last 2 coaches against them, including one that finished their season.

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Office
Even Malthouse had a great record against Carlton. Whilst we are 3 clear of Carlton now, does anyone know how far the Blues were ahead of us in the head to head when we were at our lowest point?

Answered my own question. Whilst the earlier years under Malthouse ran at 50/50, between 2006 -2011, Malthouse won 9-3 during that time. So the record is 26W 8L since 2006.

Given that we are 3 ahead now, that means they were 15 games ahead in the head to head tally back then. So we have had a 76% win ratio against them since that time.

You’re referring to Mick Malthouse, right?

Fly's record in games decided by 2 goals or less
R5 2022: 7L to Brisbane
R6 2022: 11W to Essendon
R11 2022: 4W to Carlton
R12 2022: 4W to Hawthorn
R15 2022: 11W to GWS
R16 2022: 5W to Gold Coast
R17 2022: 7W to North Melbourne
R18 2022: 5W to Adelaide
R19 2022: 4W to Essendon
R20 2022: 6W to Port Adelaide
R21 2022: 7W to Melbourne
R23 2022: 1W to Carlton

QF 2022: 6L to Geelong
PF 2022: 1L to Sydney

R5 2023: 6W to St Kilda
R7 2023: 1W to Adelaide

R13 2023: 4L to Melbourne
R15 2023: 2W to Adelaide
R17 2023: 12W to Western Bulldogs
R19 2023: 2W to Port Adelaide
R22 2023: 8W to Geelong
QF 2023: 7W to Melbourne
PF 2023: 1W to GWS Giants
GF 2023: 4W to Brisbane
R4 2024: 5W to Hawthorn

R7 2024: D to Essendon
R8 2024: W6 to Carlton

Record in games decided by 12 or less: 22-1-4
Record in games decided by 6 or less: 15-1-3

Fly's record in games decided by 2 goals or less
R5 2022: 7L to Brisbane
R6 2022: 11W to Essendon
R11 2022: 4W to Carlton
R12 2022: 4W to Hawthorn
R15 2022: 11W to GWS
R16 2022: 5W to Gold Coast
R17 2022: 7W to North Melbourne
R18 2022: 5W to Adelaide
R19 2022: 4W to Essendon
R20 2022: 6W to Port Adelaide
R21 2022: 7W to Melbourne
R23 2022: 1W to Carlton

QF 2022: 6L to Geelong
PF 2022: 1L to Sydney

R5 2023: 6W to St Kilda
R7 2023: 1W to Adelaide

R13 2023: 4L to Melbourne
R15 2023: 2W to Adelaide
R17 2023: 12W to Western Bulldogs
R19 2023: 2W to Port Adelaide
R22 2023: 8W to Geelong
QF 2023: 7W to Melbourne
PF 2023: 1W to GWS Giants
GF 2023: 4W to Brisbane
R4 2024: 5W to Hawthorn

R7 2024: D to Essendon
R8 2024: W6 to Carlton

Record in games decided by 6 or less: 15-1-3

Lose weight and boost cardiac fitness by sitting on the couch and following Collingwood.

[QUOTE="adammania9, post: 83460732,
Record in games decided by 6 or less: 15-1-3[/QUOTE]

Games decided by 12 or less:
81% win rate (85% non loss rate)

Games decided by 6 or less:
79% win rate (84% non loss rate)

We have just witnessed the greatest coached team over a 2 and 1/3 of a season in history.

Thats not hyperbole. No coach in history has a record even close to Flys for their first two and bit years as coach.

Clarkson oversaw a similar run of close wins with Hawthorn, but that wasn’t until he was at least 10 years in.

No matter what happens from here, we’ve at least witnessed the greatest start to a coaching career in AFL/VFL history over a 2 year period.

Thanks Fly!! And thanks again to Wright, Ball, Licuria and Murphy for selecting the best coach possible for Collingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bucks also had a great win loss ratio as coach against the blues.

We’re here to talk about actual greatness. It’s a thread about Fly.

Here is Buckleys win rate for games decided by 6 points or less:

2012-2020
W. L. D.
9 14 2
36% win rate

2014-2020
W. L. D.
5 14 2
23% win rate

2018-2020
W. L. D.
2 6 1
22% win rate

*noting I’m not even bothering to update for bucks full period of coaching to 2021. Why waste my time on it… I called out his ordinary record for over half a decade. Spent way too much time yelling at the sky about his poor coaching record in close games and fighting online with people defending his mediocrity.

Buckleys win rate in close games is clearly the polar opposite to Fly. Bucks (in 2018-2020 when we finally made finals) lost close games 78% of the time, while the coach of our 16th Premiership wins in close games 78% of the time (in the 2022-2024 when we’ve made finals)

Anyways, my point was. The Buckley era is over. His record as coach is ordinary. No cup. One choke job in GF and another choke job in 2019 PF, poor man management, constantly bagging players publicly (still throwing stones at Stephenson) and leading the club to its worst position in history of 17th. Not to mention the piss poor treatment of Treloar, Lumumba and other 2010 premiership players etc etc.

Even the Collingwood Forever website highlights his “bleak” record.

Hopefully, while Buckley led us to desperately hopeless position of 17th on the ladder, Fly will lead us to the winners podium to lift our 17th cup! The stark difference between the two is Black and White for all to see.

Fly is the real deal. Any mention of Bucks in this thread is an insult to Fly’s greatness. Show some respect to Mr McRae please.

2012-2020
W. L. D.
9 14 2
36% win rate

2014-2020
W. L. D.
5 14 2
23% win rate

2018-2020
W. L. D.
2 6 1
22% win rate

*noting I’m not even bothering to update for bucks full period of coaching to 2021. Why waste my time on it… I called out his ordinary record for over half a decade. Spent way too much time yelling at the sky about his poor coaching record in close games and fighting online with people defending his mediocrity.

Buckleys win rate in close games is clearly the polar opposite to Fly. Bucks (in 2018-2020 when we finally made finals) lost close games 78% of the time, while the coach of our 16th Premiership wins in close games 78% of the time (in the 2022-2024 when we’ve made finals)

Anyways, my point was. The Buckley era is over. His record as coach is ordinary. No cup. One choke job in GF and another choke job in 2019 PF, poor man management, constantly bagging players publicly (still throwing stones at Stephenson) and leading the club to its worst position in history of 17th. Not to mention the piss poor treatment of Treloar, Lumumba and other 2010 premiership players etc etc.

Hopefully, while Buckley led us to desperately hopeless position of 17th on the ladder, Fly will lead us to the winners podium to lift our 17th cup! The stark difference between the two is Black and White for all to see.

Fly is the real deal. Any mention of Bucks in this thread is an insult to Fly’s greatness. Show some respect to Mr McRae please.

It's very possible to highlight how much better McRae is as a coach without entirely dragging Buckley's name through the mud.

Bloke probably stayed a year or so too long, club backed him in and then he gave us a couple cracks at ultimate glory when it looked there was no hope. Unfortunately it didn't pan out, many questionable list management decisions of course to what extent they were his call is up for debate, but reality is a decent core of our 2023 premiership side was drafted/recruited during his tenure. Ended up bottoming out sure but in an era of equalisation that's unfortunately just what happens sometimes, I don't think many fans cared at the time it was our lowest finish ever as we were clearly not the 2nd worst team in the comp.

Port are still with Stinkley and he's got them donuts, goes to show it can be a lot worse. Let's just be thankful we have McRae now, and have the grace to appreciate Bucks for some of the good times he helped bring for the club (not to mention hope that things can change very quickly in the AFL world with the right setup, 2018 = 2022 anyone?). There's many AFL clubs who's supporter bases would die happily having half of what we got out of the flag-less reign of Buckley.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012-2020
W. L. D.
9 14 2
36% win rate

2014-2020
W. L. D.
5 14 2
23% win rate

2018-2020
W. L. D.
2 6 1
22% win rate

100% agree

It's very possible to highlight how much better McRae is as a coach without entirely dragging Buckley's name through the mud.

Bloke probably stayed a year or so too long, club backed him in and then he gave us a couple cracks at ultimate glory when it looked there was no hope. Unfortunately it didn't pan out, many questionable list management decisions of course to what extent they were his call is up for debate, but reality is a decent core of our 2023 premiership side was drafted/recruited during his tenure. Ended up bottoming out sure but in an era of equalisation that's unfortunately just what happens sometimes, I don't think many fans cared at the time it was our lowest finish ever as we were clearly not the 2nd worst team in the comp.

Port are still with Stinkley and he's got them donuts, goes to show it can be a lot worse. Let's just be thankful we have McRae now, and have the grace to appreciate Bucks for some of the good times he helped bring for the club (not to mention hope that things can change very quickly in the AFL world with the right setup, 2018 = 2022 anyone?). There's many AFL clubs who's supporter bases would die happily having half of what we got out of the flag-less reign of Buckley.

A year of so to long? Seriously? It was obvious he wasn’t any where near an elite coach from day 1. By 2015, it was clear he wouldn’t be a premiership coach. Thats what Collingwood exist for by the way, to win Premierships.

The same exact same things that cost us from 2012-2015 cost us in 2016 to 2021:

1. Coast to coast goals happen regularly every week;
  2. Red time goals conceded;
  3. Goals conceded inside defensive 50 at stoppages through poor defensive accountability; and
  4. Turnovers because of too much handpass.
Those 4 things cost us the 2018 GF. Watch the tape. All Eddie ever did for Buckley was hire people to cover up his glaring failings.

In the back end of 2017, they hire Buddha Hocking to bring some fun to the Club in team meetings and Longmuire clearly did most of the leg work the work in 2018 and 2019.

As soon as Buddha and Longmuire left the Club fell into free fall to 17th. Mins you the middle field talent (I said “talent” not output) was equal to if not better than 2010.

Theres no excuses to be had. The Club must never repeat the Buckley era again. No more jobs for people that haven’t earned it. Burying your head in the sand and pulling out every excuse under the sun for Buckley will just lead us to make the same mistakes in future.

Thankfully we seem to have the right people in charge atm that won’t let that happen again. We also must not forget the poor way Buckley treated treloar and Lumumba (loyal servants of the Club). There was never any excuse for publicly disparaging either player.

He was and will always be a mediocre coach that never earned the role and was gifted the position due to personal friendships with McGuire, Pert and Kelly.

Let the facts speak for themselves. And the fact is these are the greatest coaches Collingwood has ever had:

1. George Angus
2. Jock McHale
3. Phonse Kyne
4. Leigh Matthews
5. Michael Malthouse
6. Craig McRae

Thank you to all of the above mentioned Premiership coaches. Collingwood couldn’t have 16 without you!

Anyways, back on topic. I wanna talk about winners. Craig McRae is the best thing to happen to Collingwood since 2010. Love your work champion.

Last edited:
A year of so to long? Seriously? It was obvious he wasn’t any where near an elite coach from day 1. By 2015, it was clear he wouldn’t be a premiership coach. Thats what Collingwood exist for by the way, to win Premierships.

3. Goals conceded inside defensive 50 at stoppages through poor defensive accountability; and
Those 4 things cost us the 2018 GF. Watch the tape. All Eddie ever did for Buckley was hire people to cover up his glaring failings.

In the back end of 2017, they hire Buddha Hocking to bring some fun to the Club in team meetings and Longmuire clearly did most of the leg work the work in 2018 and 2019.

As soon as Buddha and Longmuire left the Club fell into free fall to 17th. Mins you the middle field talent (I said “talent” not output) was equal to if not better than 2010.

Theres no excuses to be had. The Club must never repeat the Buckley era again. No more jobs for people that haven’t earned it. Burying your head in the sand and pulling out every excuse under the sun for Buckley will just lead us to make the same mistakes in future.

Thankfully we seem to have the right people in charge atm that won’t let that happen again. We also must not forget the poor way Buckley treated treloar and Lumumba (loyal servants of the Club). There was never any excuse for publicly disparaging either player.

He was and will always be a mediocre coach that never earned the role and was gifted the position due to personal friendships with McGuire, Pert and Kelly.

Let the facts speak for themselves. And the fact is these are the greatest coaches Collingwood has ever had:

1. George Angus
2. Jock McHale
3. Phonse Kyne
4. Leigh Matthews
5. Michael Malthouse
6. Craig McRae

That you to all of the above mentioned Premiership coaches. Collingwood couldn’t have 16 without you!

Anyways, back on topic. I wanna talk about winners. Craig McRae is the best thing to happen to Collingwood since 2010. Love your work champion.
That's a great post, and I don't disagree with you on any of those points. All I'm meaning is there's no need to look back at the past with bitterness, especially over the initial statement being just a simple statement about his record vs Blues which was factually correct. I don't think my reply was an unreasonable representation of the general consensus on Buckley's time as coach and we all know the stories, headaches, the lot and we watched all those games too.

Buckley will still forever be a Collingwood legend regardless of his winning % or moves as a coach, and we now have the coach we always wished Bucks would be for us.

Now yes, let's talk about winners :)

Last edited:

1. George Angus
2. Jock McHale
3. Phonse Kyne
4. Leigh Matthews
5. Michael Malthouse
6. Craig McRae

That you to all of the above mentioned Premiership coaches. Collingwood couldn’t have 16 without you!

Angus above McHale? That’s almost crazier than your regular theme.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats what Collingwood exist for by the way, to win Premierships.

Moot point. It’s a competitive pursuit and every club is trying to win the Premiership. It’s really unfortunate that they only hand out one of them a season.

You don’t think Carlton exist to win Premierships? They bang on about Premerships even more than we do. And look where sacking the coach every time they look like they’re not going to deliver a Premiership has got them over the last 20 years …

… a cutlery drawer that is the envy of every home cook who likes to smell what they’re cooking.

Last edited:
Thats what Collingwood exist for by the way, to win Premierships.

Moot point. It’s a competitive pursuit and every club is trying to win the Premiership. It’s really unfortunate that they only hand out one of them a season.

You don’t think Carlton exist to win Premierships? They bang on about Premerships even more than we do. And look where sacking the coach every time they look like they’re not going to deliver a Premiership has got them over the last 20 years …

… a cutlery drawer that is the envy of every home cook who likes to smell what they’re cooking.

It's not even a moot point. It's wrong and an intellectually dishonest over simplification.

Collingwood FC publishes its constitution here. There are many ways to measure how successfully an individual within the organization has contributed to The Club realizing its purpose.

2. The Club and its purpose
2.1 The Club
c) The Club is a not-for-profit entity established and located in Australia for the main purpose of the encouragement of sport, through the operation of a sporting club.

2.3 Furthering the main purpose
In furtherance of the main purpose set out in clause 2.1(c), the Club shall:
(a) operate a sporting club fielding Australian rules football and other sporting teams;
(b) always strive for excellence and premiership success;
(c) contribute to the growth and success of sporting codes in which the Club participates;
(d) operate as a member based, community focused organisation, building relationships based on understanding, trust, fairness, and respect;
(e) make a positive and meaningful contribution to the communities to which it belongs;
(f) and live the values of and champion equity, respect, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism, and cultural safety, taking action to address discrimination and racism when we see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back