Confirmed Matt Owies - West Coast's newest forward

Remove this Banner Ad

We've offered him a 2 year contract. Just hasn't been reported by Cal Twomey (who despises carlton).

So only 9 goal assists difference in 2 years? I'd say that's insignificant.

Touches aren't that important for a small forward. Tackle numbers more relevant. Schultz averages more so that's probably the difference in price (2.5 Owies, 4 Schultz).

Not saying their worth the same as Schultz. But to think he's worth anything less than a second rounder is just wrong.
Disposal numbers are important as it shows which players have the flexibility to push up the ground. Schultz is not just a small forward but a half forward who can push up into the midfield. Owies is just a finishing small forward and that is it.

Disposal numbers are important as it shows which players have the flexibility to push up the ground. Schultz is not just a small forward but a half forward who can push up into the midfield. Owies is just a finishing small forward and that is it.
Valid point. I'd argue that's not what they recruited him for though. And that also probably skews his tackle numbers.

Owies is basically an undersized KPF. Does SFA when the ball hits the ground but is good for a lead up and is a good set shot for goal.

I wouldn't be chasing him too hard but he trains hard so might be good for a developing team just in terms of smarts and standards.

Last thing we need is more small forwards. We got Long/Ryan/Cripps/Brockman/Dewar all fighting for 2 or 3 spots on the team.

Id much prefer we back in Long and Dewar who are both very promising
We have the opposite. We are bereft of small forwards. Aside from Pickett and maybe Chandler we basically have no one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is still valuble in the right set up, Ainsworth gets up the ground but doesn't kick a lot of goals so I don't mind it.. I'm big on Lombard, been watching him a while now and is a footballer's footballer, Rogers i think is classy and uses the ball well, so not everyone is going to fit but options are nice.

Apparently Carlton want pick 12 so we could swap 12 and 37 for a F1 maybe, not sure how that works out for points, but we need them next year for Uwland 2.0

I think he's a decent player, and he's got heart. When we've beaten them recently he's one of the few that doesn't capitulate and look at Cripps to save them.

Why have Carlton gone cold? Surely not a salary dump. Hope its not off field stuff.

Disagree. I rate him between 20-30.
Remember how you get Acres for a steal because Freo offered him a terrible contract, this is the exact same thing. He'll go for some meaningless pick upgrade

I think he's a decent player, and he's got heart. When we've beaten them recently he's one of the few that doesn't capitulate and look at Cripps to save them.

Why have Carlton gone cold? Surely not a salary dump. Hope its not off field stuff.
The short version is that we are desperate for picks/list spots to get other targets in, we've committed contracts to our other small forwards, and he's the one that has trade value while also being OOC.

My suspicion is that the list management team don't rate him that highly and are looking to get him off the list so that Voss starts playing our younger smalls. Addition by subtraction and all that jazz. Not sure I agree with that strategy but I can understand why they'd want to get games into younger players that have perceived upside.

The short version is that we are desperate for picks/list spots to get other targets in, we've committed contracts to our other small forwards, and he's the one that has trade value while also being OOC.

My suspicion is that the list management team don't rate him that highly and are looking to get him off the list so that Voss starts playing our younger smalls. Addition by subtraction and all that jazz. Not sure I agree with that strategy but I can understand why they'd want to get games into younger players that have perceived upside.
Fair enough, it seems a cold world sometimes. Should be on someone's list, and whoever has him will have a bloke that gives all his ability.

I'm a bit surprised Carlton are happy to let him go because he seems like a solid player, and he plays in a position that Carlton need to improve, so getting rid of one of their better small forwards while holding onto other lesser players is a bit odd, but there could easily be more to this than I know and I guess that's footy sometimes.

My prediction is that he goes for pick in the 35-45 range. Either as a single pick or a bunch of pick swaps where the points equal roughly that value.

Remember how you get Acres for a steal because Freo offered him a terrible contract, this is the exact same thing. He'll go for some meaningless pick upgrade

Isn’t going to be essentially a delisted free agent. Could be 4th rounder type stuff or PSD.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Matt Owies - West Coast's newest forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back