Current Major incident at Bondi Junction

Remove this Banner Ad

Two docos of interest here.
The most recent just released on Netflix.

Dr Xanthe Mallet believes Cauchi's timing going in to the shopping centre was intentional in order to maximise his choice of victims, that his selection of victims was intentional, that it was premeditated, he did plan it, not frenzied if anger and rage is there and he is making choices on who he engages with, that his intent was to commit as much carnage as possible.

A profile may be developing of a man who feels rejected and disenfranchised.

The police have said it's not terror related with no ideological motive and he was acting alone but clearly, he was there to create terror whether that was for a bigger picture or because of his own personal vendettta, not sure yet.

Here's the link if anybody wants to have a listen.

Yep that would seem to be the case from what i can tell, it's just a sad story all round

Interesting. In your friend's case it sounds like quite late onset schizophrenia or at least that the symptoms were well masked when he was younger. What you are describing about the Stephen King book is familiar to me with my friend - there were lots of times I felt as though he was confusing fact and fiction. He was very conspiratorial from a young age, not in the overt way we often associate with schizophrenia, but just in a way that he seemed to see complexity in situations in a way that was weird. People often commented on it. He also had a general persecution complex, also from a young age, and would see motives in people that absolutely weren't there.

When my friend was 20 he saw a psychiatrist for depression and the psychiatrist put him on a trial of anti-psychotics. I believe they were quite new then. That psychiatrist didn't diagnose him with schizophrenia at that point, but when he was diagnosed I wondered if the psychiatrist suspected it because anti-psychotics always seemed a weird first choice for depression treatment.

I hope your friend is steady now.

Mine wasn't medicated and didn't have any help. His family was resistant to the idea of what might have been the problem and I put a few of them off side. Even some of his closer friends and his housemate who was in the process of moving out when I went down there. So many times I got 'He'll be okay' and 'He's okay'.

In a sense of loyalty perhaps, they felt they might be protecting him from the suggestion and the associated stigma.

So I played what if's for a long time. No point, I did try.

Late twenties when he died.

The other security guard who was attacked but survived, Muhammad Taha, has also asked for a Visa.

I don't think there is any great conspiracy or discrimination here. Damien Guerot's request was mentioned in a major interview so everyone was aware of it. I don't think anyone was aware that Taha wanted one. I would be surprised if he was not granted one now that people are aware.

Albo goes straight into “hero gets the visa!!!” for the white guy who waves a bollard around, lots of cheering… but everyone forgets about the brown dude who actually got stabbed.

We got there in the end though. Well done Australia.

Albo goes straight into “hero gets the visa!!!” for the white guy who waves a bollard around, lots of cheering… but everyone forgets about the brown dude who actually got stabbed.

Took me a while to realise that a security guard got killed too defending others, no one gets paid enough to do that but he's probably unarmed and getting 25 bucks an hour, that's ****ed.

I hope your friend is steady now.

Mine wasn't medicated and didn't have any help. His family was resistant to the idea of what might have been the problem and I put a few of them off side. Even some of his closer friends and his housemate who was in the process of moving out when I went down there. So many times I got 'He'll be okay' and 'He's okay'.

In a sense of loyalty perhaps, they felt they might be protecting him from the suggestion and the associated stigma.

So I played what if's for a long time. No point, I did try.

Late twenties when he died.
I don't have a lot to do with him now, not for any reason other than people drift apart over life, but while he has had his ups and downs he seems to have been stable for the most part since he was diagnosed and received treatment. In his case his diagnosis was probably delayed by the resistance of family members but in the end he was quite keen to get it and treatment so that solved the problem.

I did have another situation in my life that sounds similar to what you are describing, although not to do with schizophrenia but rather borderline personality disorder. I can fully empathise with how difficult it is when you can see something is wrong and not only does nobody support you but they turn on you. I finally managed to get him to start seeing a psychologist and then many of the people who didn't want him to get help made that incredibly difficult. A few weeks later he suicided, and then everyone turned on me again as the supposed cause of that happening.

Albo would have given the guy with the most hero press the visa regardless.

I don't care if anybody there who was scared gets one. Free permanency visas for everybody!

Trust the Daily Mail to get to the bottom of this.
WTF

'Ms Rodriguez was so troubled by the encounter she saved his number as 'Wtf' on her personal device and ran it through a database, which did not throw up any red flags.

She questioned whether his experience - or lack of it - in the sex industry might have been a trigger in his breakdown, leading to his murderous rampage.

'This is pure speculation but if you were trying to offer services to women initially and you realised you weren't going to make any money, you might expand to both men and women,' she said.

'If you were contracted by a couple, say a husband and a wife, the feedback that you might receive could be debilitating.

'It can smash your fragile mental health.''

A visibly emaciated Cauchi entered Westfield Bondi Junction on Saturday afternoon'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trust the Daily Mail to get to the bottom of this.
WTF

'Ms Rodriguez was so troubled by the encounter she saved his number as 'Wtf' on her personal device and ran it through a database, which did not throw up any red flags.

She questioned whether his experience - or lack of it - in the sex industry might have been a trigger in his breakdown, leading to his murderous rampage.

'This is pure speculation but if you were trying to offer services to women initially and you realised you weren't going to make any money, you might expand to both men and women,' she said.

'If you were contracted by a couple, say a husband and a wife, the feedback that you might receive could be debilitating.

'It can smash your fragile mental health.''

A visibly emaciated Cauchi entered Westfield Bondi Junction on Saturday afternoon'
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I thought about his attempts to foray into sex work. I also doubt that was the only brothel or sex worker he contacted.

It’s not as unusual as she makes out but anyone who does it is definitely known/recorded in phones as some variation of “Weirdo”.

I have no doubt that the plethora of general rejection of Cauchi by people across the whole community contributed to his mental health, but unless he has a broader pattern of contacting multiple people in the sex industry who told him to go away and/or laughed at him (possible) or actually somehow got a few bookings (which I thoroughly doubt) that ended badly, I don’t think there is a direct link.

Interesting that this was in Bondi, though. I wonder if he targeted Bondi for some reason? My husband posited last night that maybe he chose the area because of its fame and notoriety worldwide. As in, many people have heard of the Bridge, the Opera House and Bondi.

Interesting that this was in Bondi, though. I wonder if he targeted Bondi for some reason?
A documented liking for the beach and surf providing him some degree of familiarity and obsession with the area.

And if getting there on public transport, he'd be going via Bondi Junction and past Westfield's Bondi.

Noting that it was reported that he had lived at Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast.

won't link the tweet since twitter's blocked at work but some rightoid grifter said that the mall was "virtue signalling" yesterday by having a memorial up for the victims. really *in dumb and absurdly disrespectful
One of the effects of the internet is that even the dumbest and laziest voices can now be heard. Some of these cretins can find connection, causation and conspiracy in anything.

"Fortune cookies? Yeah, nah - it's a Nicaraguan psy-op. Contra affair. JFK. New World Order. Wake up bruz. Even now, Russia defending against Ukraine and the west brah."

More security guards for a while, if the shopping centres see a drop off in attendence they will consider forking out for them permanently.
Possibly visible Police presence for a while to reassure the public (against copy cat attacks) but they are not a private security force.
From discussion in the Murder of Luke Davies & Jesse Baird AFL Goal Umpire & ex Ch 10 Presenter * Stalker Cop Charged thread both Victoria and NSW Police are currently officially hired out (at a cost to the entity hiring them) by their State Governments for things like special events.

So in Scentre Group announcing this week that there will be increased police and security presence at all Westfield centres in the future, it will be interesting to see if Scentre Group is paying normal commercial rates to the State Governments and Territories that already hire their Police out for things like special events. As opposed to the State Governments and Territories agreeing coming to some sort of other arrangement (non-commercial) with Scentre Group and possibly other large shopping malls, to increase Police presence at them.

Maybe in Scentre Group saying they will increase police prescence, without giving a timeframe for when this will begin, or when it will ramp up, there is no commitment yet from some or all of the State and Territory Police forces as to how much and how many Police this will involve, and how this will ramp up over time. "In the future" could mean that there will be little change for quite some time. And could be dependent on Police levels and additional hiring and training, and the level of retirement, resignation and sick (or on workers comp) Police moving forwards.

'“The owner, the Scentre Group, had to balance the community grieving for those lost, including a Westfield security guard and the need for the centre’s retailers to continue their business.

“Rusanow said there will be increased police and security presence at all Westfield centres in the future.”'

Front page of Perth's Weekly Post Newspaper today, highlights what appear to be existing shortages of quickly on hand Police Officers, claimed to be partly due to more geographically centralising of Police Stations and Police Officers over recent decades.

Possibly more due to lack of available Police Officers to quickly attend violent altercations at all times across the Perth metro.

Highlighting challenges of increased Police prescence at all large shopping malls.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.54.43 PM.png Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.55.11 PM.png

Saw a guard in the mall carpark for the first time ever. Trash smoking a few metres from the sliding doors, he didn't even move them on, let alone fine them. What's the point.

Saw a guard in the mall carpark for the first time ever. Trash smoking a few metres from the sliding doors, he didn't even move them on, let alone fine them. What's the point.
A few malls have a police room, An area dedicated for officers to base their patrols from. They will also respond to some jobs. So much goes on at the bigger malls. Drug dealing, shoplifting, Sex offenders gather and Gang related activity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back