Roast Luke Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Without watching the game I wonder why people are calling it a mismatch? Obviously L.Thompson got slaughtered but he is renowned for matching up quite well on smalls. Before the game people were calling him to go to Lindsay Thomas. Perhaps Sando should've changed the matchup after it was clear he was getting beaten (brown to ziebell and thompson to thomas???), but the initial matchup was the right call IMO. I'd be blaming this on Thompson rather than Sando

That's the trouble with our line up.

Jaensch, Smith, Henderson would have all been disasters as well.

We don't have any good medium size defenders.

Kerridge would have been handy...

L Thompson just lacks strength. If 3rd tall can't stop a mid from consistently marking the ball then not up to afl standard.

Delist - lt & Shaw.
Injured - Otten
must recruit - goldsack.

L Thompson just lacks strength. If 3rd tall can't stop a mid from consistently marking the ball then not up to afl standard.

Delist - lt & Shaw.
Injured - Otten
must recruit - goldsack.

Yep. He's key defender height, but that's it. Ziebell actually weighs more than Thompson does.

If the Crows Reserves hadn't come in, Ellis-Yolmen would have been playing as the 3rd tall defender by now.
And our turnover count would have gone ballistic!!!!

And our goals conceded from turnovers would have gone ballistic!!!

Cannot hit a target to save himself!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly a lot of responsibility for it can be apportioned to abysmal coaching and diabolical midfield defensive pressure.

LT has two inches on Ziebell - who is slower than average and not a known aerial threat because of his bung shoulder. Time after time Thompson was beaten to the ball by a mile - when he did get it he panicked and turned it over. Ziebell had 9(!) shots on goal, 8 of which I believe were in the second half. Well done to Jack, but poor positional match ups or not, that just should not happen.

Ziebell is very strong overhead, we have been banging on all year that he should be a half-forward with some rotation through the middle rather than a starting midfielder. Scott is only marginally better than Sando in terms of making the captain obvious changes. Every time he spends more than 2 minutes up forward he usually does something.

Thompson is a KPD and Ziebell is a midfielder.

This was Massie on Franklin 2.0. Ridiculous match up.
FFS Thompson IS NOT a KEY POSITION DEFENDER !!!!!!!!!! ....never has been

While I don't think LT has much of a future as an AFL footballer, this one is on Sando's head. Why he didn't make a change I'll never understand.
Why oh why do people continue to make excuses for him ....are you his brother

Thompson IS SUPPOSED to be able to play on talls and smalls .......FFS how is this Sando's fault :rolleyes::mad:

Not just on today's effort by LT looks off the pace at AFL level

I just can't recall to many occasions where he has led his player to the ball
no because he is completely reactive to play and consequently will always get led to the ball

A few of the marks opposition players got a good defender would have got a punch in

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Luke Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back