List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Ainswerth would be a good pick up. Hopefully we dont trade for any missing pieces and go free agency. Ainswerth, Stengle, Perryman and Cumming seem the players left and we need a forward line.

Ainsworth would be a really good pickup. Perfect for what we need and with our list profile we desperately need to top up with some free agents or mature age draftees.

Will Phillips?

Might have been the one of the ABC commentary team did mention us as interest in Will Phillips before Norths game on the weekend?

Ainsworth isn't anything more than adequate but 'adequate' still makes him a significant upgrade on McEntee and Evans.
Adequate would still make him best 22 and second only to Rioli in our small/medium forwards. As you say, shuffle Evans and McEntee out of the first 22 and that’s an upgrade.

I’m more glass half full and think he will be better at Port. Think he could come to port and be a handy half/small forward that could rotate through the midfield every now and then. He has some mongrel and Figjam about him too.

I know that's what will happen but it seems kind of odd that you would have a group of four backup key defenders and delist the guy who is clearly the best of them.
Obviously we aren't getting anything for Clurey in a trade, but I'd still rather we pay $50k or $100k to another club to take him and keep McKenzie. Of course, whilst other clubs have done this, Port are currently populated by people so thin skinned and unable to admit mistakes, they'd prefer to keep the worst option, then admit Clurey's contract length (that it was obvious, at the time, was too long for a 2nd/3rd average tall) was a mistake.

All of this discussion assumes that McKenzie actually wants to go around again. He's 32 years old, very injury prone and unlikely to ever be best 22 at AFL level again. He'll probably retire whether we want him to or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade Marshall.

Actually think it might be good to leave and get away from the Bronx cheers and good and bad of Port Adelaide. He has clearly stagnated. Sure, he may be better under a different coach but he will never be a dominant, aggressive, tough forward. He will always be a lead up, uncontested mark type with good footy smarts and a good kick for goal.

Would get us great draft or trade capital.

I couldn’t think of anything worse than trading a blue chip capable quality kf, a position that is incredibly hard to draft, takes time to develop, and we’re no chance to find one in free agency anytime soon or going to be able to compete against the asa deals and free agency money vic clubs will throw at any kf available worth having.

Cut off our noses while we’re at it.

Our kfs are not our problem, and getting rid of one of them won’t help us.

We’re losing games right now because our defense is arguably the worst in the comp right now. Horrible key defenders and can’t defend smalls either.

Our rucks get walked over.

Our midfield gets walked over.

Despite our entire gameplan being built around numbers around half forward , looking it in our forward half and bringing it to ground our small forwards and half forwards are arguably the worst performed lot in the league or close to it if not the worst.

Trading a kf so we’re reliant on lord / finlayson / Mitch never falling out of form or getting injured would just be dumb.

I couldn’t think of anything worse than trading a blue chip capable quality kf, a position that is incredibly hard to draft, takes time to develop, and we’re no chance to find one in free agency anytime soon or going to be able to compete against the asa deals and free agency money vic clubs will throw at any kf available worth having.

Cut off our noses while we’re at it.

Our kfs are not our problem, and getting rid of one of them won’t help us.

We’re losing games right now because our defense is arguably the worst in the comp right now. Horrible key defenders and can’t defend smalls either.

Our rucks get walked over.

Our midfield gets walked over.

Despite our entire gameplan being built around numbers around half forward , looking it in our forward half and bringing it to ground our small forwards and half forwards are arguably the worst performed lot in the league or close to it if not the worst.

Trading a kf so we’re reliant on lord / finlayson / Mitch never falling out of form or getting injured would just be dumb.
It’s not getting rid of Todd. It’s letting him leave and have a fresh start. And getting good trade or draft capital for him.

As to blue chip…. Todd has good footy smarts. He is very good defensively. He is great on a lead. 90% of his goals come from him marking on a lead. He was once a dead eye but hasn’t been one for two years. He’s other stats are bog average. Nothing suggests he will be blue chip, Mr consistent, all Australian or anything other than a good average KPF.

Lord is a different type of KPF. Mitch is Marshall but higher potential. Finlayson can ruck.

So yea, trade him.

It’s not getting rid of Todd. It’s letting him leave and have a fresh start. And getting good trade or draft capital for him.

As to blue chip…. Todd has good footy smarts. He is very good defensively. He is great on a lead. 90% of his goals come from him marking on a lead. He was once a dead eye but hasn’t been one for two years. He’s other stats are bog average. Nothing suggests he will be blue chip, Mr consistent, all Australian or anything other than a good average KPF.

Lord is a different type of KPF. Mitch is Marshall but higher potential. Finlayson can ruck.

So yea, trade him.

This makes zero sense.

Mitch isn’t like Todd, they’re as different to each other as either are to Dixon.

If your measure of a quality blue chip kf is making all-aus you should follow another team.

We’ve had 1 all-Australian honour bestowed on a kf in the last 20 years. If you think Mitch , lord and finlayson are likely to beat that in the next few years good luck. Crows once in a generation kf has nabbed them 1 in that same timeframe i believe , and there’s no way on the horizon that’s going to change that for them either. lol.

This makes zero sense.

Mitch isn’t like Todd, they’re as different to each other as either are to Dixon.

If your measure of a quality blue chip kf is making all-aus you should follow another team.

We’ve had 1 all-Australian honour bestowed on a kf in the last 20 years. If you think Mitch , lord and finlayson are likely to beat that in the next few years good luck. Crows once in a generation kf has nabbed them 1 in that same timeframe i believe , and there’s no way on the horizon that’s going to change that for them either. lol.
Matttteee read the post.

Mitch and Marshall play similar styles but Mitch has a higher potential.

And my measure (what’s yours?) of blue chip? I gave several examples - being consistent, being above average, being AA. Is Todd consistent? Reliable? Does he do anything other than apply pressure and lead and mark well? Most lead key forwards kick more than 50 goals in season - how does Todd go?

I’d be more concerned about delisting guys like McEntee than guys arhat actually kick goals like Todd Marshall does

I posted elsewhere that we should trade Marshall, assuming we could get a top 20 pick in return to try again with another tall forward.

But I understand and begrudgingly agree with Philthy’s caution about doing so.

However, I don’t think Marshall should be allowed to feel so comfortable about his place in our squad and team any more. His form for most of this year hasn’t passed the eye test - at least for me. Yes, we’re not generating enough inside 50s for the forwards, but being outmarked by opponents who are playing in front of you when the ball quickly enters forward 50 from a clearance is not good enough. It’s happening too often. He’s barely better than Finlayson in that regard. It’s as though he’s not concentrating or his mind is distracted by other thoughts so he’s not ready when the ball comes his way.

If our season continues to unravel and his form doesn’t improve, then he needs a spell in the SANFL. Some standards need to be set. For all players, including him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back