Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Plugger, you are unintentionally trolling.

Buddy Franklin will never be Hawthorn's captain and it says nothing of his playing ability. The reality is that Ablett is very media shy (understandably since he has been hounded by the press since he was a kid) and would struggle with the public speaking and press that being an AFL captain entails. He is a wonderful player and stands up for us when we need him but that alone doesn't make a good captain. Jimmy Bartel is in a similar boat - a wonderful, courageous and fair player but very shy off the field.

Ling, Selwood and Chapman are our stand out captaincy options because all three are consistent and fair players, lead by example on the field and just as importantly all three are comfortable with a camera and microphone shoved in their face.

Great choice from the Cats to make Lingy the captain. Even if a bit predictable.

Will keep the seat warm for Selwood for a few years.

All the best.

Good to see another club electing a player who shows true leadership skills both on and off the field, and embodies the club spirit rather than stupidly just picking their best player/blow-in's.

didn't bomber state publicly that he wasn't happy with GAJ meeting with GC? Maybe that scrubbed his name off the contenders list and maybe they already consider him gone?

You do realise Ling has been vice-captain for a few years,don't you ?
So he was the obvious choice.Joel Corey who has been DVC would probably have also got the gig ahead of Jr.Jr is still in the leadership group.Best players don't always make good captains,just look at Ablett Sr or Chris Judd.

He hasnt come as far as Nick Maxwell........

I wonder when the last time that two AFL Captains were both from the same school?

I'm sure its happened before but not that often I wouldnt have thought....

Not sure about happening before, but if you're count previous captaincies there's currently a double. Luke Ball and Jobe Watson both went to Xavier College and played for Sandringham Dragons.

Good to see another club electing a player who shows true leadership skills both on and off the field, and embodies the club spirit rather than stupidly just picking their best player/blow-in's.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbsu:

Damien Bourke and Barry Stoneham are fellow fanta pants that have captained the cats and I'm sure there's been plenty of others along the journey for other clubs.

Michael Voss anyone!!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll find they're both Joey's boys as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha... you guys should look at the sports section of today's Herald Sun, a comic with Ling and others.

Ling is a good appointment although I thought Ablett may have gotten it as a carrot.

Geelong of years bygone may have dangled a carrot, but not the current regime. Ling is the right man, and Selwood is probably his successor.

Good choice.

If they needed to give Selwood or Ablett the Captaincy to keep them then they weren't the right choices anyway. Even then, that doesn't guarantee they'll stay, some players hold onto a Captaincy to reduce speculation on whether they will move clubs...

didn't bomber state publicly that he wasn't happy with GAJ meeting with GC? Maybe that scrubbed his name off the contenders list and maybe they already consider him gone?

I think Ablett's cards were marked earlier than that. One of the games he was out injured this year (they were playing at the MCG) he didn't even stick around for the whole game, because he was getting too toey having to watch the team go around and not being able to pull on the boots himself. Now, I don't have a problem with that from just another player on the list, but a future captain doesn't do that. I'm also glad that the Cats didn't use the captaincy as a bargaining chip in the Ablett negotiations. For what it's worth, I don't think Ablett would be a good captain. And we'll probably never find out, if he stays in the hoops.

I agree with others, Ling will have the job for two years (and hopefully stick around for two more after relinquishing the captaincy), then Selwood will be skipper for as long as he wants to be. I can see it being a Selwood/Mackie captain/vice captain pairing for five years after Ling gives up the captaincy.

ling was the safe choice. i'd personally have preferred selwood as i'd love the cats to have a 10 year captain in the mould of hird/voss/buckley etc, but with a team still in its premiership window ling is a very safe bet and he's led the team often enough that the captaincy won't be a burden at all.

to those saying ablett should have been captain, he would have struggled to make my top 10 candidates. and to those suggesting that it has any relevance to him not being there next year, the choice was an entirely player-driven process

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back