Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Re. Darren Smith
Papa Cornes, when he was at the crows really had no time for Darren, due I guess to the Port Adelaide connection and when Darren was selected the crow supporters would turn on him because he would have been taking his place in the side from some Glenelg flog!

Yeah, Allan Bartlett was a superstar, couldn't select a side without him!

I can understand Klug getting a game before Smith, but in the wider context, I think criticism of Smith was quite unwarranted, and he was a major reason for the multiple premierships we won during his era.

I remember on one occasion he was out, and the media & supporters were speculating who would replace him during his absence. I think it was Geoff Phelps who was solid, but not the quality of Smith.

Last edited:

I think criticism of Smith was quite unwarranted, and he was a major reason for the multiple premierships we won during his era.
100% this. The shit he copped used to drive me mental at the time - with so much of it coming from our own supporters who should have known better.

Anyone that thinks Jack Cahill would pick a soft player for even one grand final has rocks in their head.

Jack made the point about Darren once that he might not run around knocking blokes over, but when it was his turn to put his body on the line for the club he never once hesitated.

Anyone that thinks Jack Cahill would pick a soft player for even one grand final has rocks in their head.

Jack made the point about Darren once that he might not run around knocking blokes over, but when it was his turn to put his body on the line for the club he never once hesitated.
I bet he did ONCE.

And then Jack and the leadership group put an end to it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hilarious opposition supporters would unrelentingly refer to him disparagingly as Doreen whilst he was knocking over premiership after premiership.
To be fair, a heck of a lot of Port supporters referred to him as that too.
I think his record speaks for itself.
Fair few flags on the mantlepiece the last I recall.

Anyone who met Darren Smith face to face would not call him Doreen.
They guy was ****ing massive.

One of the most important players to our club during his era. That handball to Bucks in the 92 gf. Ranks up there imo with Dave Granger to Russell in the 81 gf. Funnily enough both against the Bay ******s. Only difference being it took us a quarter and half to blow then away in 92. 81 was all over at quarter time. So much so that Halbert folded his Onkaparinka rug and started sucking on the corners.

One of the most important players to our club during his era. That handball to Bucks in the 92 gf. Ranks up there imo with Dave Granger to Russell in the 81 gf. Funnily enough both against the Bay ******s. Only difference being it took us a quarter and half to blow then away in 92. 81 was all over at quarter time. So much so that Halbert folded his Onkaparinka rug and started sucking on the corners.

His hands were shaking so much he couldn't light his pipe.

If memory serves me correctly, did he cop a rock to the head thrown over the fence from an opposition supporter behind the goals one day?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that was Roger Delaney.it was at Prospect. Some NA feral.

Prospect is a fascinating anthropological study.

All the doctors from the western side of Main North Road sit in the stand and the housebreakers from the eastern side stand in the outer.

Posted this elsewhere also -

Assuming Sydney’s % is too large to overcome, it is feasible that:
We will finish no higher than second;
We will not finish below fourth;
Likely play GWS home or away;
Possibly play Geelong at home; or
Possibly play Sydney away.

And our game will possibly determine the final eight makeup. Umpiring will be interesting if Fremantle losing means a Victorian team makes the eight.

Prospect is a fascinating anthropological study.

All the doctors from the western side of Main North Road sit in the stand and the housebreakers from the eastern side stand in the outer.
Where does Prospect end and Kilburn begin?

Saw Charlie Dixon at my Gym this morning. It was the second time I'd seen him there. I didn't mention it here because, you know it's only Charlie Dixon and I'm no fanboi. I did think it curious he was training on the other side of town, wouldn't there be a fully stocked gym at Alberton? Maybe he just lives in the area, maybe just wants a change of scenery, maybe it's no club endorsed....

Any rate the only reason I mention it is because after noticing Dixon I look at his trying partner and it's none other than the great John BUTCHER! This put a little smile on my face.

Both are very big men. Dixon is surprisingly lean. Butch has bigger muscles (No Homo).

Saw Charlie Dixon at my Gym this morning. It was the second time I'd seen him there. I didn't mention it here because, you know it's only Charlie Dixon and I'm no fanboi. I did think it curious he was training on the other side of town, wouldn't there be a fully stocked gym at Alberton? Maybe he just lives in the area, maybe just wants a change of scenery, maybe it's no club endorsed....

Any rate the only reason I mention it is because after noticing Dixon I look at his trying partner and it's none other than the great John BUTCHER! This put a little smile on my face.

Both are very big men. Dixon is surprisingly lean. Butch has bigger muscles (No Homo).
Stirling? He lives up that way.

We go to the same gym mate lol. Have seen him in early mornings with Butcher about once a week for the last couple months I reckon.

13th anniversary of his 6-goal home debut against the Dogs today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back