Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

These two teams are destined to play off in the Grand Final, surely?

You would think so, we were a fixture in grand finals in that period and the Bays were flying. You would really have to choke to mess that up.

Especially after next week's result. ;)

Now that's a hanger (nearly)!

Glenelg Home Crowds 1980,

R02 vs NA: 8,685
R03 vs CD: 10,780
R08 vs ST: 12,485
R10 vs WA: 7,002
R14 vs WD: 5,761
R16 vs PA: 16,373
R18 vs SA: 6,589
R21 vs CD: 6,777

‘tarps’
‘pay what you owe’

Ingrates.

The talk of Port need to finish top 2 to win the flag is baffling to me
Ignores that theyve lost 2 prelims at home already

I think the pyche of this group would prefer to he underdogs at the G than at home

100%.

The enduring delusion that Port enjoys anything approaching the traditional home ground advantage of the type do the West Coasts, Brisbanes and Geelongs when they’re at the pointy end, is baffling.

4 cutthroat finals at Adelaide Oval so far for just the 1 win is a deplorable record, let alone the cavalcade of minor round losses year after year — usually when the stakes are at their highest with rivalry bragging rights and/or top-2/4/8 on the line.

Only North, the Suns or possibly the Blues would be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing Port at the Oval in September, and there’s no chance of hosting the former two.

The Power Community Limited team returned to the APY Lands with the Santos Aboriginal Power Cup for the first time in two years.
A new partnership with BankSA Foundation helped the program expand into five communities at a critical time.

Due to consecutive COVID-19 lockdowns, students in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands faced challenges in returning to school, resulting in school attendance rates dropping to below 60 per cent.
At this crucial juncture, Power Community Ltd (PCL) was awarded a BankSA Foundation Community Grant, which uses football as a catalyst to reignite students’ interest in their education and career transition.
Port Adelaide AFL players Jeremy Finlayson, Sam Powell-Pepper, Hugh Jackson and Jed McEntee joined the PCL team for the weeklong trip, which included delivering the program to five schools across the lands, attending and judging the Ernabella Dance Competition, supporting Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Education Committee (PYEC) with a round robin football carnival, and attending the SANFL APY Lands Grand Final between the Musgrave Suns and the Indulkana Tigers.

That screenshot says the article was published in 2011... Given that it predates the Hinkley era, why is it relevant now?
I was looking into something else (googling the last time we played every other team) and this showed up.

I think its relevant now because we keep getting hit with the "since 2011" comparisons, and being a Port supporter it's a perspective that is very different to my own. I'm not saying I agree with it, but if it is their honest interpretation then I can use it for understanding the perspective of their "truths".

Nothing more, nothing less, I found it interesting, thought others might also.

Yeah. Things have sure gone wrong for the Crom since then. Maybe the tool who wrote that article should have a good look in his own backyard.
Author describes himself thus:

User Profile for Brett Northey:

Adelaide born (1972) and bred, I support the Adelaide Crows in the AFL, Sturt in the SANFL

No chance of self reflection there. Has carried a chip on his shoulder about Port for a few decades now. Will be lost without it.

But what constantly pisses me off about these op pieces from crows supporters and ambassadors is them having the arrogance to write articles that pretend to know anything about the DNA of PAFC - what made it as a club and what got it to the AFL and keeps it there. Their pretence to lecture others about our history.

Last edited:
Author describes himself thus:

User Profile for Brett Northey:

Adelaide born (1972) and bred, I support the Adelaide Crows in the AFL, Sturt in the SANFL

No chance of self reflection there. Has carried a chip on his shoulder about Port for a few decades now. Will be lost without it.
No doubt one of those bellends that had his mum make a half crows half sturt guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To explain these thoughts requires some hallucinogens

season 16 lsd GIF

No doubt one of those bellends that had his mum make a half crows half sturt guernsey.
Who claims to be a 'passionate and loyal' 19th man but was willing to dump the crows in a heartbeat if Sturt folded and joined with Norwood to win that second AFL licence.

A schizophrenic hypocrisy afflicting all current SturtWood supporters that I reckon has made millionaires out of even the most mediocre eastern suburbs psychologists.

Amazingly (to me) Greg Griffen is acting for Troy and Shane Bond to contest the use of their likeness on the Showdown shield. In his quotes he is somehow bringing their indigenous background into the argument.

Not getting their permission to use their image is in keeping with that ridiculously amateur trophy.
I bet they got the permission of the photographer.

Amazingly (to me) Greg Griffen is acting for Troy and Shane Bond to contest the use of their likeness on the Showdown shield. In his quotes he is somehow bringing their indigenous background into the argument.
I thought it had a Balfour's pie and pastie on it. Things you learn.

Not getting their permission to use their image is in keeping with that ridiculously amateur trophy.
I bet they got the permission of the photographer.
That's how it reads.

Mr Griffin says the Bond brothers did not authorise the Crows, Power or charity partner Variety SA to use their image and only became aware of the move days before the introduction of a revamped Showdown Shield in 2018.

The legal letter claims the use of the Bonds’ image “constitutes a wrongful appropriation of our clients’ professional reputations”.

“Your use of our clients’ likenesses in the manner described above implies that a commercial relationship exists between our clients, PAFC, AFC and Variety SA whereby our clients receive payment or other benefits in exchange for their continued approval or endorsement of, PAFC, AFC, Variety SA and/or the ‘Showdown’ matches,” it states.

It claims the Bond brothers have suffered loss and damage because of the conduct.

In 2018, Shane told the Port Adelaide website of the striking of the Showdown Shield: “It’s just a fantastic honour and very humbling.”

“It’s a little bit embarrassing and very humbling but to have my kids see that and my parents and my community and relatives is just very humbling,” Shane said.

Both Port and the crows have agreed to meet with the Bond Brothers to discuss the issue after the showdown.

playersThat's how it reads.

Mr Griffin says the Bond brothers did not authorise the Crows, Power or charity partner Variety SA to use their image and only became aware of the move days before the introduction of a revamped Showdown Shield in 2018.

The legal letter claims the use of the Bonds’ image “constitutes a wrongful appropriation of our clients’ professional reputations”.

“Your use of our clients’ likenesses in the manner described above implies that a commercial relationship exists between our clients, PAFC, AFC and Variety SA whereby our clients receive payment or other benefits in exchange for their continued approval or endorsement of, PAFC, AFC, Variety SA and/or the ‘Showdown’ matches,” it states.

It claims the Bond brothers have suffered loss and damage because of the conduct.

In 2018, Shane told the Port Adelaide website of the striking of the Showdown Shield: “It’s just a fantastic honour and very humbling.”

“It’s a little bit embarrassing and very humbling but to have my kids see that and my parents and my community and relatives is just very humbling,” Shane said.

Both Port and the crows have agreed to meet with the Bond Brothers to discuss the issue after the showdown.
As I posted in another thread, AFL players assign the rights to any images of them taken on game day (pre-match, match and post match) to the AFL or an AFL accredited photographer in their player contract. I don't know on what basis Greg Griffin believes that the Bond brothers own the rights to that image. If a court finds that AFL players own the media rights to any images of them taken on match day it will open a can of worms for the AFL and every media organisation using those images.

“It is extremely unfortunate to say the least that in the AFL system the Indigenous players simply get treated differently to the rest,” Griffin said.

What a load of crap - this isn't an Indigenous issue

Loss of what they hope to scam out of this action maybe, but what damage? They're the ones damaging their own reps.

As I posted in another thread, AFL players assign the rights to any images of them taken on game day (pre-match, match and post match) to the AFL or an AFL accredited photographer in their player contract. I don't know on what basis Greg Griffin believes that the Bond brothers own the rights to that image. If a court finds that AFL players own the media rights to any images of them taken on match day it will open a can of worms for the AFL and every media organisation using those images.

You could argue that using the image on a perpetual trophy, along with their identities being used to promote the game, fits into a unique use case outside of the expectations of the agreement with the AFL.

I think it's a bit petty of them, but the AFL/Port/Crows not at least seeking their permission at the very beginning gives them a leverage point to raise it as an issue.

Time to trash the trophy anyway. It's pitiful.

AFL players getting paid individually for images used in AFL promotion would be bad for us.

We all know how biased the coverage and promos are to Vic players.

It will be just another way for Vic clubs to better pad out the salary cap.

It's a tough one. I think it is very reasonable for the Bond brothers to get paid for the use of their image like this but I do worry about the long term consequences.
On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back