Lethal didnt do this to Vossy...lets call a spade a spade MM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
I am absolutely appalled by Micks recent comments and moreover bc they reflect poorly on a bloke who a lot of folk inside the club and who we supporters loved for years. Personally I think Eddie and the club did everything to make sure he left on good terms but Mick has done everything to snub his nose at us.

Have watched with interest the events of the last year or so with Mick I always knew / feared it was coming to this.......

He has had a chip on his shoulder about this deal ever since we won in 2010.

To assess why the hand over occurred I think you have to go back to what were the dynamics back then bc I think they are fundamental.

Mick had a side in '02 and '03 that reached a GF and lost. He rebuilt it in '04 and '05 and then from '06 onwards we were back in finals had a side that was clearly very good and capable. We going deep in finals but failing......and lets face it ....failing badly (eg the Saints and Cats losses).

I think it reached a point in 2010 where the Board could have said (and I understand did) that Mick should have been punted then and a new coach brought in to get them past that Prelim hurdle. Again my understanding is Eddie went in to bat for Mick and said give him 2 more years and hand over to Nathan. At the time Mick himself said he was happy with it and that he was thinking that was his time anyway. At the same time Football Dept decide we will give Mick the best chance of winning and go and recruit a gun ruck and inside mid. Obviously the rest is history. We win, Mick decides he doesnt like the deal anymore, does his subtle best to prod the CFC all year and provides plenty of ammo for the media to derail us. We opbviosly go on to lose in 2011 and he wants to blame players, injuries and umps.....when most supporters could not believe that he didnt Switch the Hawkins matchup.

On top of all that he wants the game plan to take all the credit for the 2010 win but the players for the 2011 loss. He did exactly the same thing in '03 when he 'potted' Jason Cloke publicly for the loss. A bloke who played the same role as Maxwell, gave everything for the CFC and who on GF day was asked to play CHF..... a role he had been trialled in vs Essendon earlier that year and completely failed at. For me that was an awful thing to do and frankly I reckon Dave Cloke has had it in the back of his mind ever since.

So to read this morning that he thinks the game plan has gone to crap bewilders me. The Hawk loss was ok, we beat Richmond but didnt kick straight. We lose to Carlton after having been pretty close before Reid and Ball go off. On top of that they were missing Tarrant, Didak, Johnson, Brown and it was Maxwell and Wellers first games back. The loss to Carlton has more to do with that and the poor form of a couple of senior players to most reasonable obervers than that. Yet he is more than happy to blame the 2011 loss on the same issues impacting Bucks now but this time he wants to 'pot' the coach. It was a cheap shot that doesnt have a lot of basis in my view.

What guts me more about it is the circumstances of how Voss got Lethals job were equally unusual but lethal walked away with nothing but support for the Club and moreover for Voss. Mick has shown nowhere near the same support or consideration for CFC, Eddie, Walsh, players etc when he should be thankful he got 2 more years and 2 crucial players.

My view is he should say thank you for the CFC giving him a job for 10 years where he repeatedly failed to get us a GF and moreover to Eddie for getting him a final 2 years when he didnt need to and moreover going and getting the two types of players that blind freddy could see we needed but whom Mick never seemed to want (preferring blokes like Fraser, McKee, Richards in finals matches against blokes like Ottens).

If you want to call a 'spade a spade' - Mick you have failed to show the thanks and class that Lethal gave the Lions and Voss. Collingwood and Bucks deserved that from you. Its poor form and ultimately reflects poorly on you.

I just heard the interview, not sure what all the fuss is about TBH, he didn't blame anyone, he rightfully pointed out his gameplan wasn't the reason we lost, he gave insight into reasons why he thought we lost, i think he's allowed to have an opinion lol, storm in a teacup if i've ever seen one.

Just shows how Bitter Mick is and is he trying to Sabotage our Season?

Have you actually read what he said? We seem to be doing pretty well sabotaging our own season. I can't see how Mick could really wreck our season any more than the team, through poor football and luckless injuries, has already done to itself. Besides, the players need a rocket to motivate them and Mick may just have provided it.

Have you actually read what he said? We seem to be doing pretty well sabotaging our own season. I can't see how Mick could really wreck our season any more than the team, through poor football and luckless injuries, has already done to itsels. Besides, the players need a rocket to motivate them and Mick may just have provided it.

So Malthouse speaking through the Media will do more than what Bucks can do?

Malthouse is in the media and he has to say something about Collingwood so I don't see it as too harsh really.

I'm fairly sanguine about the changeover and I hope Buckley will let any comments pass and just get on with the job, as he has done to date.

Malthouse had his good points obviously but I think the failure to move Reid in the 2011 GF is something he hasn't really conceded anything on. If he is going to bring up the failings of others on that day then he needs to explain that one IMO.

I am absolutely appalled by Micks recent comments and moreover bc they reflect poorly on a bloke who a lot of folk inside the club and who we supporters loved for years. Personally I think Eddie and the club did everything to make sure he left on good terms but Mick has done everything to snub his nose at us.

Have watched with interest the events of the last year or so with Mick I always knew / feared it was coming to this.......

He has had a chip on his shoulder about this deal ever since we won in 2010.

To assess why the hand over occurred I think you have to go back to what were the dynamics back then bc I think they are fundamental.

Mick had a side in '02 and '03 that reached a GF and lost. He rebuilt it in '04 and '05 and then from '06 onwards we were back in finals had a side that was clearly very good and capable. We going deep in finals but failing......and lets face it ....failing badly (eg the Saints and Cats losses).

I think it reached a point in 2010 where the Board could have said (and I understand did) that Mick should have been punted then and a new coach brought in to get them past that Prelim hurdle. Again my understanding is Eddie went in to bat for Mick and said give him 2 more years and hand over to Nathan. At the time Mick himself said he was happy with it and that he was thinking that was his time anyway. At the same time Football Dept decide we will give Mick the best chance of winning and go and recruit a gun ruck and inside mid. Obviously the rest is history. We win, Mick decides he doesnt like the deal anymore, does his subtle best to prod the CFC all year and provides plenty of ammo for the media to derail us. We opbviosly go on to lose in 2011 and he wants to blame players, injuries and umps.....when most supporters could not believe that he didnt Switch the Hawkins matchup.

On top of all that he wants the game plan to take all the credit for the 2010 win but the players for the 2011 loss. He did exactly the same thing in '03 when he 'potted' Jason Cloke publicly for the loss. A bloke who played the same role as Maxwell, gave everything for the CFC and who on GF day was asked to play CHF..... a role he had been trialled in vs Essendon earlier that year and completely failed at. For me that was an awful thing to do and frankly I reckon Dave Cloke has had it in the back of his mind ever since.

So to read this morning that he thinks the game plan has gone to crap bewilders me. The Hawk loss was ok, we beat Richmond but didnt kick straight. We lose to Carlton after having been pretty close before Reid and Ball go off. On top of that they were missing Tarrant, Didak, Johnson, Brown and it was Maxwell and Wellers first games back. The loss to Carlton has more to do with that and the poor form of a couple of senior players to most reasonable obervers than that. Yet he is more than happy to blame the 2011 loss on the same issues impacting Bucks now but this time he wants to 'pot' the coach. It was a cheap shot that doesnt have a lot of basis in my view.

What guts me more about it is the circumstances of how Voss got Lethals job were equally unusual but lethal walked away with nothing but support for the Club and moreover for Voss. Mick has shown nowhere near the same support or consideration for CFC, Eddie, Walsh, players etc when he should be thankful he got 2 more years and 2 crucial players.

My view is he should say thank you for the CFC giving him a job for 10 years where he repeatedly failed to get us a GF and moreover to Eddie for getting him a final 2 years when he didnt need to and moreover going and getting the two types of players that blind freddy could see we needed but whom Mick never seemed to want (preferring blokes like Fraser, McKee, Richards in finals matches against blokes like Ottens).

If you want to call a 'spade a spade' - Mick you have failed to show the thanks and class that Lethal gave the Lions and Voss. Collingwood and Bucks deserved that from you. Its poor form and ultimately reflects poorly on you.
Mate there are people here who still think he is on our side,when plainly his stirring is doing us no good at at all,I don,t think Ed should say any more because it won,t help.

Everyone forgets about what he did to J cloke I made mention of that in an earlier post Clokes 1st season for us in 2002 was a very good year for an 18 yr old and yet within 3 yrs he was gone.

As I said I think Ed should keep quiet but we are going to find out who Buckley,s and Collingwoods friends are over the next few weeks.

While many things contributed to the GF loss, the Reid/Hawkins non-move was by far the biggest factor.

Umpiring decision aside, Hawkins' burst turned the game.

Tarrant goes on him? Different ball game ensues. Tarrant had already mopped Pods, he could have easily accounted for Hawkins.

Mick was almost 100% percent responsible for that loss.

Bucks is far from 100% responsible for what's happening now, despite trying to put all the blame on himself, something Mick refused to do during his tenure, or since departing for that matter.

Don't believe a slanted headline and story. Listen to his actual words. http://bit.ly/IcFsuC

But, I guess, haters are gonna hate. Even without all the facts.

mate I have listened to the interview and if you dont think he is stirring the pot then we will have to agree to disagree.

FWIW - Clearly Eddie seems to think he has. He stirred the pot last year and it impacted us and he is doing it again.

All he needed to say in that interview was "for a variety of reasons we lost the GF - wasnt one thing - never is" ...and just leave it at that. Instead he chose to fiercely defend his game plan then point the finger at inj, suspension and Swanny 1 possession term. He said the same things in the rooms afterwards where he potted a few blokes and said "few of you will have to live with that". My point is he accepts none of the blame - not even the decision to leave Reid on Hawkins. God knows how many people I have spoken to who are intimately involved in footy will tell you it was an error. To be clear I dont think he should accept all of the blame but it amazes me he accepts no responsibility. Was the same in '03.

I sense you are a MM fan (I love the bloke to and probably concentrated to much on the negative) but am sick of him having a pot shot at a range of people in the club. Just angered he couldnt leave with the class he showed inside the club for 10 years.

For mine he should show more class and just follow Lethals MO.

I think it's pretty clear that Mick is bitter just as it's clear that the mature thing for the President to do is to decline to comment. Both men are behaving like spoilt children and neither of them is doing much to enhance their reputations. Of course it's of more concern to me that Ed is being so stupid because he still holds a position with the club while outsiders will always be outsiders.

Personally I think any analysis of Mick's coaching is moot. His time as coach was ended after a long period of failing to achieve the only thing worth achieving in footy. It was entirely appropriate at the time and I believe that the 2 year extension was extremely generous given what most clubs would have done. The fact that we then went on to win a premiership is irrelevant because the deal had been done with Mick's consent. The only thing that seems to upset some Pies fans is the fact that opposition trolls like to suggest that it was a stupid decision... surprise, surprise!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate I have listened to the interview and if you dont think he is stirring the pot then we will have to agree to disagree.

fair enuff. We agree to disagree. I don't interpret what you do from that interview.

I sense you are a MM fan (I love the bloke to and probably concentrated to much on the negative)

Mate, I'm a fan of both Mick and Ed; met 'em both many times. I just think Ed is waaaay more wrong over this one. I'm sad and angered by the whole thing frankly.

totally agree, like i said in another post... if the players wont play for bucks, why did they all sign onto new contracts?

the ONLY issue at CFC at the moment is multiple injuries to key positions, ben reid, tarrant, brown, krak, and now Ball.

Come round 12 when the list is healthy, good run into the finals, we will see if any team thinks they fancy a run at the pies in the finals.

I wish everyone would let this go, who gives a shit what he said I think everyone should just be thankful for what he did to this club.
He came here in 2000 I think (?), Collingwood a bottom side coached them to two consecutive grand finals with in 2 years. Then another three in 2010,11.
5 Grand Finals in 12 years is pretty bloody good, we may have only won one but winning grand finals their is a lot of luck.
MM and Ed probably haven't behaved very well but posting about it is not achieving anything, lets get back to real stuff because this season is far from over!!!

I think I remember that Lethal was at times very critical of Voss and still is sometimes.

MM is in the media, his new bosses what him to produce, so MM is obliging them.
This is all just bluff and bluster from both MM and Eddie, they are both having a giggle at out expense

Just shows how Bitter Mick is and is he trying to Sabotage our Season?
Dave, you know that I love your posts but I think on this one you need to slow down a little and just think about what MM's new job is.
He is being paid to give an opinion which may include giving up inside information on Collingwood.
There is nothing wrong with that.

Its like if you got a job telling people about our VFL players, you couldn't tell your new boss that you don't want to, it would be expected that you tell everything. That is all that MM is doing.

I'm on Micks side here. Eddie is just talking crap. Mick Malthouse is a media commentator and he speaks his mind. He gets asked questions and he answers them truthfully and honestly.

Mick has done nothing wrong and he is 1 of the nicest blokes you will ever get the privledge to speak with, if you ever get the chance.

I just personally think Eddie is crying over spilt milk, Eddie needs to move on. Pies are not going aswell as they hope, it's not the end of the world. They'll still make the finals. Time for Eddie to back up a bit there.

Nathan Buckley has added a few new things to Micks old game plan, game plans are not meant to be successfull for years and years. It will take some time before Nathans tweaks to work properly.

I'm on Micks side here. Eddie is just talking crap. Mick Malthouse is a media commentator and he speaks his mind. He gets asked questions and he answers them truthfully and honestly.

Mick has done nothing wrong and he is 1 of the nicest blokes you will ever get the privledge to speak with, if you ever get the chance.

I just personally think Eddie is crying over spilt milk, Eddie needs to move on. Pies are not going aswell as they hope, it's not the end of the world. They'll still make the finals. Time for Eddie to back up a bit there.

lol you're joking right?

There's a clear difference at speaking your mind as a commentator and potting someone, particularly when you hold resentment.

Mick's comments have been "all about me" and incredibly selfish. He said his game plan was fine and that he coached with aplomb- the GF last year was not his fault. However, he was quick to point the figure "at his boys" i.e. Dane Swan, Chris Tarrant even the umpire. He didn't say anything about his failure to make a move off a clearly hindered and injured Ben Reid off Tommy Hawkins now did he? No, his plan was genius and it was everyone else around him that stuffed it all up. Apparently had nothing to do with Mick changing the game plan 6 days out from a GF either or his mis-management of the playing group leading into the finals!

Mick has handled himself incredibly selfishly.

He continues to support and pump up Mark Neeld despite what he is going through at Melbourne but he is throwing grenades at the rest of us i.e. the Collingwood faithful but doesn't like it when the "truth" is fired back at him. He just makes excuses for it and blames other instead of himself.

Here's a lesson Mick failed to learn, we win together, we lose together. Side by Side. It wasn't and isn't all about Mick Malthouse.

Also, WTF are his daughters doing taking pot shots at Ed and the club, after everything Eddie has done for that family? Nobody has bent over for the Malthouse's than Eddie McGuire, especially when the knives have been out for him long before 2010. It was Eddie that stuck by him, nobody else.

Ed has handled and carried himself beautifully in this all. He has every right to "serve back". Mick just can't seem to let it go.

Leight didnt just win a Premiership then get told he will be replaced by Eddies love child. Mick owes Collingwood nothing, if anything, Collingwood owe Mick. Mick should be pissed the way they shafted him, sorry, demoted him to an advisor. What employee wouldnt be pissed off.

Just while we are bringing up Leigh Matthews, guess who Bucks' mentor has been over the past 6 months or so?:confused:

Yep, that's right, good old Lethal has been in constant contact with Bucks over the Summer, and I'm sure they still talk at least on a weekly basis.

Which is great news, as I can't think of anyone better in the world of football to help Bucks out through his first tentative steps as coach.:thumbsu:

Leight didnt just win a Premiership then get told he will be replaced by Eddies love child. Mick owes Collingwood nothing, if anything, Collingwood owe Mick. Mick should be pissed the way they shafted him, sorry, demoted him to an advisor. What employee wouldnt be pissed off.

Idiot, when will you and others comprehend the facts?

Mick signed this deal mid 2009. He was not a Collingwood premiership coach at the time. He also was coming off a prelim final flogging by 70+ points vs Geelong.

The real question everyone was asking at the time, who in their right mind would extend the contract of a coach for 2 years, after a decade without a flag at the one club, 16 years since his last flag and being absolutely humiliated in a prelim final?

I'll tell you who, Eddie McGuire.

He was treated like a king. Now, he is disrespecting everyone that believed in him and gave him the opportunity to solidify his legacy.

Idiot, when will you and others comprehend the facts?

Mick signed this deal mid 2009. He was not a Collingwood premiership coach at the time. He also was coming off a prelim final flogging by 70+ points vs Geelong.

The real question everyone was asking at the time, who in their right mind would extend the contract of a coach for 2 years, after a decade without a flag at the one club, 16 years since his last flag and being absolutely humiliated in a prelim final?

I'll tell you who, Eddie McGuire.

He was treated like a king. Now, he is disrespecting everyone that believed in him and gave him the opportunity to solidify his legacy.
Or, he is doing the job for which he is being paid.
The very job his new employers specifically hired him to do.

He no longer works for Collingwood, he is free to say what he wants, how he wants, when he wants
Just like most of us do

Remove this Banner Ad

Lethal didnt do this to Vossy...lets call a spade a spade MM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back