ballanFYNE

Cancelled
May 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
bushrangers, NYG, ducks
who would you want in your side if you had to choose one at their prime.
i'm going to say.............

justin_leppitsch.jpg

3 premierships back to back and i don't think they could of done it without him.

I'm biased but I'd have to go with Chris Mew. Yabby Jeans said when he was selecting the squad each week that Chris Mew was always the first picked. Given the quality of the Hawthorn side of the 80's and early 90's, that's saying something.

Impossible tp say really as they played in very different eras nd are very different players.

Mew is your classic old school CHB from back when a player played CHB on the CHF every week. He was as reliable as you could get was never really beaten, was great one grab mark and had solid disposal.

Jackovich was the first of a new breed of monster athletic type players. He could hold down any player even the likes of Carey. His one problem especially early in his career was his disposal by foot. I remeber him making a few very costly errors in the 1st final against the Hawks in 91 despite being dominant.

Leppitsch was again different. He was more mobile and more versitile. He was probably the weakest of the 3 in terms of defnding hos man although he was still very good at it. But he was also an attacking weapon, able to sweep forward and started many Brisbane attacks and even kicked some goals from CHB.

So Leppitsch would be the most adapable for todays game where the half back line starts alot of your attacks. Jako would be your man if you wanted to stop a Brown or Fev. Mew is probably the the besy all round defensive option as he could cope with almost any type of forward.

Glen Jakovich. His duels and often wins against possibly the greatest footballer to ever play the game cannot be ignored.

This should be a poll for anyone privileged to have watched all three players through the course of their careers.

Glen Jackovich by some.
Classic duels with Carey having won more than he lost.
That alone should settle the deal.

Glen Jakovich. His duels and often wins against possibly the greatest footballer to ever play the game cannot be ignored.

Not really. Carey burnt Jakovich more than a few times, but Jak got into his head and Carey insisted on trying to wrestle with him When he could run off him anytime he wanted.

He didn't beat Carey so much as convince him not to play footy.

Not really. Carey burnt Jakovich more than a few times, but Jak got into his head and Carey insisted on trying to wrestle with him When he could run off him anytime he wanted.

He didn't beat Carey so much as convince him not to play footy.
Clearly no player can absolutely dominate another. When you meet head to head as many times as these two did, of course 1 player is going to have a stretch of form over the other.

You've drawn attention to the glaringly obvious. Carey was more mobile than Jakovich, however Carey's flaw was his own ego. Instead of playing to his perceived mobility advantage, Carey played to Jakovich's strength by engaging in physical strength battles. That said, the Malthouse West Coast defences were pretty handy units and Pagan's paddock wouldn't have been as easy to establish for Carey.

For the life of the contest, Glen Jakovich had the better of Wayne Carey.

Clearly no player can absolutely dominate another. When you meet head to head as many times as these two did, of course 1 player is going to have a stretch of form over the other.

You've drawn attention to the glaringly obvious. Carey was more mobile than Jakovich, however Carey's flaw was his own ego. Instead of playing to his perceived mobility advantage, Carey played to Jakovich's strength by engaging in physical strength battles. That said, the Malthouse West Coast defences were pretty handy units and Pagan's paddock wouldn't have been as easy to establish for Carey.

For the life of the contest, Glen Jakovich had the better of Wayne Carey.

For the life of his tenure, Jackovich did not lose too many duels overall.

Mew played in a terrific backline, with Ayres, Langford and Kennedy forming the great unit supporting one another.
Leppitsch was a very good player no doubt, but not quite in this league here.

Call it bias - but Jakovich is comfortably number 1 - particularly if you are talking about their prime.

He took on the best from the age of 19. His first 6 years was so dominant that as a 24 year he was considered in the best 18 of all time for the AFL team of the century

Hall of Fame member as well.

And although the record between him and Carey is pretty even - before he did his knee he had a comfortable lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few people realise that Chris Mew pushed Peter knights to the flank in our Team of The Century.

Chris Mew is one of the most under rated footballers ever.
I'm suprised he is even thought of for this thread.:thumbsu:

Have not come across a cooler customer since his departure from the game.
Legend.

The other 2 are pretty handy though I might add.

Few people realise that Chris Mew pushed Peter knights to the flank in our Team of The Century.

Chris Mew is one of the most under rated footballers ever.
I'm suprised he is even thought of for this thread.:thumbsu:

Have not come across a cooler customer since his departure from the game.
Legend.

The other 2 are pretty handy though I might add.

Most don't remember the 80's Merv!

They talk about Jakovich v Carey so much, but, they don't understand that prior to both arrived, the depth of great CHF's as opposed to great CHB's like Mew, Paul Roos (and dare I say Kevin Walsh!) amde for great rivalries.

Mew v Merrett was always a close contest as an example.

Most don't remember the 80's Merv!

They talk about Jakovich v Carey so much, but, they don't understand that prior to both arrived, the depth of great CHF's as opposed to great CHB's like Mew, Paul Roos (and dare I say Kevin Walsh!) amde for great rivalries.

Mew v Merrett was always a close contest as an example.

Yep I'd rate Roos up there with those mentioned for sure.

Kevin Walsh. I will at least say he was hard to beat and definitely improved over time. Better than what he was given credit for. Not a great footballer, but definitely a very difficult opponent.

well, they are all greats of the game and they are all certainly better than this breed of defenders in terms of old school CHBs. There aren't really any apart From Tarrant (only played there for one year) and Taylor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppitsch, Jackovich or Mew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back