Laura Kane - Does Not Impress Me At All !!

Remove this Banner Ad

??

So you're agreeing that the only way the AFL will change is if people drop off?

And what exactly you think 'drop off' means?

It means they stop watching and attending. Which is exactly what I've been saying.
Which is what they are doing in established markets.
But supporters like you can’t see this as the growth in the expansion markets has grown quicker than the attrition in the mature market.

That’s their long term strategy for growth that’s been implemented so well.

When there is little growth left in these growth markets and these supporters become more regular like the mature markets, that’s when the long term effects of the football operations team start to hurt the overall numbers. These fans will turn away from the game quicker than the AFL can attract new ones. And by then it will be too late.

You seem to be underestimating the impact of the growth of the league through adding teams and games to the fixture. Average attendances has increased less than 10% over the last 15 years. Their main revenue stream increase has been the result of this expansion strategy.

No they don't.

They changed the rule for a week, then they just changed it back.

They didn't listen to anyone. Because they know the fools will keep fronting up and forking out their hard earned. Like they always do.
When are we getting examples of Kane’s predecessors being just as inept as her, fool?

Genuinely intrigued.

Laura Kane's Linkedin shows a quite interesting career progression. She graduated with LLB, and worked as a lawyer for 2 years. She then went straight into a Manager position at North, and was promoted to Head of Football Operations within a year.

I think very few people have true managerial skills after 2 years in the workforce, let alone the skills to be the Head of Football Operations. Maybe she's an exceptional talent, but something seems a bit off here.

Which is what they are doing in established markets.
But supporters like you can’t see this as the growth in the expansion markets has grown quicker than the attrition in the mature market.

That’s their long term strategy for growth that’s been implemented so well.

When there is little growth left in these growth markets and these supporters become more regular like the mature markets, that’s when the long term effects of the football operations team start to hurt the overall numbers. These fans will turn away from the game quicker than the AFL can attract new ones. And by then it will be too late.

You seem to be underestimating the impact of the growth of the league through adding teams and games to the fixture. Average attendances has increased less than 10% over the last 15 years. Their main revenue stream increase has been the result of this expansion strategy.

'm assuming you're arguing that the game isn't actually that popular? And that people are dropping off because the AFL suck?

I think that's what you're getting at?

I'm not sure what any of what you're posting has to do with my point. I assume you're trying to support my view that the AFL does whatever is required to ensure their product is consuming as many people as possible? And that until people stop consuming it, they won't chang their ways?

When are we getting examples of Kane’s predecessors being just as inept as her, fool?

Genuinely intrigued.

Nice little trip down memory lane. A reminder of how utterly woeful every single COO has been over the years.

Interestingly, every single one of them made unpopular rule changes, every single one of them made bullshit and confusing public explanations of them, and every one was berated by the public for being shit.

Laura Kane's Linkedin shows a quite interesting career progression. She graduated with LLB, and worked as a lawyer for 2 years. She then went straight into a Manager position at North, and was promoted to Head of Football Operations within a year.

I think very few people have true managerial skills after 2 years in the workforce, let alone the skills to be the Head of Football Operations. Maybe she's an exceptional talent, but something seems a bit off here.
And they were some of our greatest years.

lol

Interestingly, every single one of them made unpopular rule changes, every single one of them made bullshit and confusing public explanations of them, and every one was berated by the public for being shit.
They do this deliberately.

Its pretty basic perception management. If they can get you asking the wrong questions they don't have to worry about the answers.

The response to the farce on the weekend was the perfect example. Everyone is crapping on as if Kane doesn't know the rules to the game. Of course she does (and other games as well.)

As a result no one is questioning if the game was rigged to put the Pies in the top four (which is unlikely but given the relationship between the AFL and gambling its not a question anyone wants asked,) and if the umpires are incompetent and the rules too convoluted (which is far more likely.)

Because all the media space is taken up with criticising her stupid answer instead of the state of the game.

No they don't.

They changed the rule for a week, then they just changed it back.

They didn't listen to anyone. Because they know the fools will keep fronting up and forking out their hard earned. Like they always do.

Not sure how disliking aspects of the game’s administration and continuing to watch makes someone a ‘fool’. These are not mutually exclusive positions.
Maybe i don’t enjoy it as much as i would if it were better run, but i still love following the game.

My favourite restaurant serves a bad steak. The only option? Never go back there! Only a fool would tell them the meal was off!

The latest Bond movie is a dud. The only option? Never watch something in the James Bond franchise again!

The black pill is not noble. It is a concession to mediocrity. It’s an attempt to put a positive spin on embracing failure.

You are foolish to point out a bad meal?

Why?

Heck of a sales pitch. "She's no s**tier than the numpties before her."

And an even better motto for the AFL. "We make enough money off of these suckers; why try to be better?"

It's exactly that sort of drive for mediocrity that keeps some clubs as perennial underperformers despite having more silver spoons shoved into their mouths than a child in the Rockefeller family.
Isn't the point that the AFL appoint people who will defend the indefensible and make no effort to make the game better for the average supporter. It's a closed mindscape inside AFL house, and only those who believe are allowed in.

But once people start to publicly say this is garbage at some point it becomes untenable and change happens. That might take 54 years for the AFL though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how disliking aspects of the game’s administration and continuing to watch makes someone a ‘fool’. These are not mutually exclusive positions.
Maybe i don’t enjoy it as much as i would if it were better run, but i still love following the game.
You're a fool if you think anything will change.

Not a fool for continuing to consume it.

There are some very experienced managers out there, both men and women. Hard to believe this is the best possible person for the role in the whole of Australia.

Her first job at NMFC was basically to apply for the women's footy licence, and came on the back of several years of involvement in women's footy:

Former lawyer Laura Kane has just joined the Roos and is working with CEO Carl Dilena on the club's application for one of four women's football licences on offer.

Kane, also the president of the Melbourne University Women's Club, has taken on the role as manager of North's women's football and academy talent pathways, and said she's thrilled to have made the move to Arden Street.

"I'm not sure North has marketed their involvement with the women's game as well as they could have but they host the youth girls' carnival every year and the Victorian country program for young females as well as their long relationship with my club Melbourne University," she said.

"On my first day here it was obvious that the women in the football department are completely entrenched.

"Football has always been my hobby but when Carl offered me this opportunity I jumped at it even though it was tough to leave Waller [Legal] and I didn't do it lightly," she said.

And then once you're on the inside, if you do a good job, you're a chance whenever the next promotion comes up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back